The Student Room Group

Jefferies & Company First Round

I have a first round interview with Cornell Partnership for Jefferies & Company Investment Banking Graduate Programme. Just wondering if anyone had Jefferies first round interview and if they could provide any insight.
Reply 1
Original post by KING IS HERE
I have a first round interview with Cornell Partnership for Jefferies & Company Investment Banking Graduate Programme. Just wondering if anyone had Jefferies first round interview and if they could provide any insight.

Cornell usually send some prep materials to give you an idea of what to expect. If they don't, expect the following:

- The usual "why banking?" questions
- The usual "why you?" questions
- Technical questions i.e. "Do you know what DCF means?" - not too complicated at this stage though
- Brain teasers: http://bea.st/text/riddle/Logic.html for example.
- Background to the firm: make sure you know it well - they will ask.
- Current affairs: Know some recent deals that have happened/ banking news - Jefferies is mid-market so talking about the most recent KKR blowout may invite more questions about how well you know their market. Know the current debt crisis inside out.

Interview is usually 30 mins - 1hr, followed by questions - have some ready. Safe ones usually include asking about the culture (NEVER the hours or pay), and the firm's strategy for Europe (JEF are currently expanding very aggressively in Europe).

Worked for me. PM for details of the super saturday if you get through. Best of luck.

Bb.
Reply 2
Hey thanks for the post its really appreciated. For technical questions I'm just going over the basic from Vault's Guide to Finance Interviews especially on company valuations and M&A (hope this is much). I assume the competenency is the usual banking stuff (why investment banking, why me, team work, communication and etc).
Reply 3
hi there.. can you let us know the time line for the graduate recruitment process.. i am aware that 7th is the deadline for the program.. any other details are much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by Bb^
Cornell usually send some prep materials to give you an idea of what to expect. If they don't, expect the following:

- The usual "why banking?" questions
- The usual "why you?" questions
- Technical questions i.e. "Do you know what DCF means?" - not too complicated at this stage though
- Brain teasers: http://bea.st/text/riddle/Logic.html for example.
- Background to the firm: make sure you know it well - they will ask.
- Current affairs: Know some recent deals that have happened/ banking news - Jefferies is mid-market so talking about the most recent KKR blowout may invite more questions about how well you know their market. Know the current debt crisis inside out.

Interview is usually 30 mins - 1hr, followed by questions - have some ready. Safe ones usually include asking about the culture (NEVER the hours or pay), and the firm's strategy for Europe (JEF are currently expanding very aggressively in Europe).

Worked for me. PM for details of the super saturday if you get through. Best of luck.

Bb.

(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending