The Student Room Group

God Poll

Poll

Which of the following are you?

This will have been done before, but who cares, let's do it again. This forum naturally has a young demographic, most of whom live in the UK, and I'm interested to know if my theory that theists are now in the minority in the under 30s in Britain is true.

I've grouped agnostics in with atheists because, in my opinion, agnostics are atheists, that is, they do not believe in a god (which fits into a section of atheism) and I see no reason to separate them. Theists have been separated, but for the purposes of comparing atheism to theism, we can obviously add them all together.

EDIT for agnostics: Look, it is very simple. Atheism is not necessarily the belief that there is definitely not a god, it is merely the absence of belief. If you are agnostic (let's say you put the odds at 50/50), then that means that you have the absence of belief in god (for to believe in god you would need to put the odds at close to 100%), thus you are an atheist. You might not want to call yourself an atheist, but you are one. Please get over the semantics and vote on the basis of what I have set out in the poll (that is, the option of atheism includes agnostics.) If you do not have the intellectual capacity to differentiate between the belief that there isn't a god and the absence of belief in a god, then that is not my problem.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No poll :bebored:
This poll might work better if there was some way of voting.

*Waits*
You forgot agnostic.

Sincerely, an Atheist.
Reply 4
I just voted?! Oh no! Now you know my beliefs! :P
Reply 5
Original post by Potally_Tissed
This poll might work better if there was some way of voting.

*Waits*

Yes, the thread must be posted before the poll is written. The poll has now been written.
Original post by The Maestro

Original post by The Maestro
I just voted?! Oh no! Now you know my beliefs! :P

It's an anonymous poll...

Although there is an add-on that can be installed to vBulletin that lets the admins and mods see how people voted, I think..
Reply 7
I do believe there was some sort of force that started the universe, but that's it.
I don't believe in preying, holy books, Heaven or Hell, etc, because that stuff doesn't add up imo at all.

Idk if that would count as theism though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Teveth
Yes, the thread must be posted before the poll is written. The poll has now been written.

Fair enough, don't think I've ever actually posted a poll on here.

Voted. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by moneyballs2
You forgot agnostic.

Sincerely, an Atheist.

Agnostics are atheists. I explained that in the post. If you are unsure of the existence of a god (agnosticism), then you do not have a belief in him, hence you are an a-theist. Agnosticism is a branch of atheism.
Original post by No Man
I do believe there was some sort of force that started the universe, but that's it.

Idk if that would count as theism though.

Agreed, we can't have certainty in the non-existence of rational sublimity.
Voted :smile:

This should be interesting to see how the results pan out...although there seems to be an inkling already
Original post by moneyballs2
It's an anonymous poll...

Although there is an add-on that can be installed to vBulletin that lets the admins and mods see how people voted, I think..

Oh I said that because I was the first person to vote and thereafter post, that way people could have deduced my beliefs, I was just messing :P
Original post by Teveth
This will have been done before, but who cares, let's do it again. This forum naturally has a young demographic, most of whom live in the UK, and I'm interested to know if my theory that theists are now in the minority in the under 30s in Britain is true.

I've grouped agnostics in with atheists because, in my opinion, agnostics are atheists, that is, they do not believe in a god (which fits into a section of atheism) and I see no reason to separate them. Theists have been separated, but for the purposes of comparing atheism to theism, we can obviously add them all together.

I'm pretty sure that theists under the age of 30 in Britain is indeed a minority.
Atheism ftw.
lol i make it no secret to anyone who mentions religion in front of me XD

but my 2 cents are:

you put agnostics and atheism together (something that I do't think completely correct but hey-ho) however no one ever in these polls and arguments (as they are arguments and not discussions) the anti-theist view as most ppl, including atheists themselves, think that all atheists are actively against religion however it goes:

Atheist - Come to the conclusion that there is no god (never.Ever. Describe atheism as a belief).
Agnostics - Don't believe in any god.
Anti-theists - Are actively against organised religion and the god(s) they believe in.
Original post by llpokermuffinll
I'm pretty sure that theists under the age of 30 in Britain is indeed a minority.

Indeed :frown:

well, we're only 20 behind the atheist vote! :tongue:
Reply 17
I'm not voting because there was no agnostic option.

Personally I do not consider myself an athiest, I am agnostic. I believe we do not have any evidance to believe in God, but that we can never justify saying that we don't believe in God. How did you reason that being an athiest and being agnostic are the same thing?

Sorry for being difficult, it just doesn't make any sense.

Also, since when were Jews, Buddists and Sikhs the same thing? That's really a bit disrespectful don't you think?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Teveth

Original post by Teveth

The results of this poll are surely to not be very accurate. I am sure many people will not vote and in particular i am sure many theists will not take an interest. So whilst a poll as such may be interesting, the results would be questionable. Just saying. :indiff:
Poor hindus,sikhs etc other versions of god, they always get lumbered together dont they. When will the spotlight shine on them. Its like christianity and Islam are the cool popular brothers, and hindus, sikhs etc other versions of god are the speccy spotty dorky kid that gets left in the corner or is left outside in the rain for 2 hours because dad forgot to come and get me from the football match BECAUSE HE WAS TOO BUSY SHOWING OFF CHRISTIANITY AND ISLAM!
So guys, come on lets play with the other kids for a while, eh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending