The Student Room Group

Intelligent/creative posters, any way to eliminate modern terrorists?

In the middle east, south Asia, in the west, etc and not only physically eliminating and getting rid of extremists but also stopping the mind-set that inspires terrorism and the inciting of hatred for the west etc etc

The most logical answer - it's impossible, even if Osama Bin Ladens' house in south Los angeles was bombed, his terror cell H.Qs' operating in the UK and in other western countries were also bombed out, all terrorist leaders, terrorists trainees and terrorists' in action in the middle east, south asia and east asia suddenly died from a mass food poisoning or something.

Terrorism still wouldn't die of course, it's not a single thing it's a mindset, a belief, anyone can become a terrorist with a certain frame of mind so in essence it can't ever be stopped

but can it? Did I just answer myself?

If all terrorist cell leaders and major figureheads for terrorists were all assassinated and their main bases of operation around the world tactically struck with JDAMS' (Bunker busters) or MOABs' (Mother of all bombs / Massive ordnance air blasts) simultaneously, it still wouldn't the terrorists in operation under them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure on a basic level most terrorists have things in common, whether it is personality traits, life experiences, upbringing, exposure to propaganda etc.
If we can work out what those things are, and try to deal with the problem at the root rather than just sending guns over to these countries we might have a better chance of creating change.
It would take time, probably a few generations to change attitudes and beliefs. The divide between rich and poor in these countries would probably need to be tackled too- a lot of suicide bombers are from the poorest areas, and manipulated by the rich few who have the resources.
Get rid of Al Jazeera.

... ask America to do it, they are best friends with Qatar. [... of course, it may ruin the war $$$ business]
Reply 3
nuke pakistan, turkey and the entire middle east. also ireland, africa, and the rest of asia. actually, just get rid of every country that's not europe or america or australia.
Reply 4
Original post by Captain92
I'm sure on a basic level most terrorists have things in common, whether it is personality traits, life experiences, upbringing, exposure to propaganda etc.
If we can work out what those things are, and try to deal with the problem at the root rather than just sending guns over to these countries we might have a better chance of creating change.
It would take time, probably a few generations to change attitudes and beliefs. The divide between rich and poor in these countries would probably need to be tackled too- a lot of suicide bombers are from the poorest areas, and manipulated by the rich few who have the resources.

nice avoidance of mentioning islam. we all know these are the terrorists today. true, terrorists can exist from any organisation, but the threat today is islam so it must be destroyed before we are.
Reply 5
Original post by Broderss
nuke pakistan, turkey and the entire middle east. also ireland, africa, and the rest of asia. actually, just get rid of every country that's not europe or america or australia.

xD you remind me of ignorant americans that say stuff like that. But they're not actually joking, "Nuke the whole damn middle east, it's just a big desert anyway, get rid of all those towelheads"
Reply 6
Original post by lukejoshjedi
xD you remind me of ignorant americans that say stuff like that. But they're not actually joking, "Nuke the whole damn middle east, it's just a big desert anyway, get rid of all those towelheads"

it would work doe.
Reply 7
nice avoidance of mentioning islam. we all know these are the terrorists today. true, terrorists can exist from any organisation, but the threat today is islam so it must be destroyed before we are.

I didn't avoid mentioning anyone. You might well have jumped the gun in your trollish fashion to try to piss people off. But that's your prerogative :wink:
Muchlove
I don't believe that destroying the leaders and bases of terrorist organisations will bring them down. Modern organisations are too fluid, and bound simply by ideology, for this to be successful. I think that, while their actions may be interrupted, they would rebuild and probably return seeking 'revenge'. Using the conclusion of previous conflicts as an example, the only way peace can be achieved is by removing the terrorists grievances. Unfortunately, I think that this is simply not achievable with regard to many modern terrorists.
Reply 9
You seem to think that the west are the ones who are most threatened. Its other muslims who are under attack the most. Of course its a problem for the west, but its the prime concern of muslims to get rid of extremism... Totally unrelated, just thought id give my two cents...

Yeah because Ireland isn't part of Europe. :rolleyes: :rofl:
Reply 11
You can not fight against terrorism, you can't also defeat terrorism, because terrorism is not an enemy. It is just a kind of war tactic.
If you really want to solve the problem of frearing terrorism at our homes, you have to take seriously all the conflicts in the middle east and/or let them alone. And I am not muslim nor Arab, I am Italian.
The cause of all the conflicts we have today is not religion, it is all about politics.
Think about one thing, before the west became engaged in the middle east, was there any conflict between the muslim and the western world?

Sorry for my bad spelling.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Terrorism, just like many other things, needs a power base - they need support in both money and supplies. If you take away their power base they become much less dangerous.
With the case of modern terrorists this essentially means destroying illegal poppy fields used to create opiates and giving the local populace the courage and means to defend themselves.
Reply 13
Original post by Oivil
If you really want to solve the problem of frearing terrorism at our homes, you have to take seriously all the conflicts in the middle east and/or let them alone.

We don't do an awful lot about the persecution of religious minories in Saudi Arabi (and basically all other Muslim-majority countries in the world) and Tibetans (and others) in China, or about the occupation of Western Sahara by Morocco. Yet, Kurds, Tibetans and et cetera don't attack us.

Oivil
The cause of all the conflicts we have today is not religion, it is all about politics.
Think about one thing, before the west became engaged in the middle east, was there any conflict between the muslim and the western world?

Yes, it is all the Western world's fault.
I agree, terrorism is inspired by a BELIEF.

And believe me, you cannot kill an ideology.
Reply 15
I thought this thread was going to be about posters which try to persuade people away from terrorism...:frown:
Reply 16
Original post by lukejoshjedi
In the middle east, south Asia, in the west, etc and not only physically eliminating and getting rid of extremists but also stopping the mind-set that inspires terrorism and the inciting of hatred for the west etc etc

The most logical answer - it's impossible, even if Osama Bin Ladens' house in south Los angeles was bombed, his terror cell H.Qs' operating in the UK and in other western countries were also bombed out, all terrorist leaders, terrorists trainees and terrorists' in action in the middle east, south asia and east asia suddenly died from a mass food poisoning or something.

Terrorism still wouldn't die of course, it's not a single thing it's a mindset, a belief, anyone can become a terrorist with a certain frame of mind so in essence it can't ever be stopped

but can it? Did I just answer myself?

If all terrorist cell leaders and major figureheads for terrorists were all assassinated and their main bases of operation around the world tactically struck with JDAMS' (Bunker busters) or MOABs' (Mother of all bombs / Massive ordnance air blasts) simultaneously, it still wouldn't the terrorists in operation under them?

I don't think there is, people will always disagree and some more strongly than others. The only way would be to make everyone think the same, true mind control.

And yes you are right, even if all the current terrorist cells were removed it wouldn't stop terrorism. The government will always do something to piss someone off somewhere, the only way to stop it is to take away our privacy and rights.
Reply 17
One thing I always thought of was this:

Legalise opium.

It sounds mad of course, but remember that groups such as Taliban get most of their funds from selling opium, if it was legalised, they could never compete with the big corporations and hence rapidly loose most of their funding.

Please note obviously there's gonna gonna be a few side effects of doing this though, like mass heroin addiction or something lol so yeah, just a thought.
Two ways....you need to force the local populace to it's knees.Use airstrikes and random house searches.Take over local amenities tell them you will not leave until they turn over the insurgents amongst them.Their desperation will ensure victory.Kill the familys of terror suspects if they are beyond reasonable doubt.The other way is a black ops...commit attrocity to the local populace and scape goat the terrorists.

Horrific but effective
I don't think anyones going to make such a sacrifice!
Regards Tom
Reply 19
Original post by Wacp
We don't do an awful lot about the persecution of religious minories in Saudi Arabi (and basically all other Muslim-majority countries in the world) and Tibetans (and others) in China, or about the occupation of Western Sahara by Morocco. Yet, Kurds, Tibetans and et cetera don't attack us.

Yes, it is all the Western world's fault.

Why don't you let them do at their homes what they want?. The really important question is why the western world is angaged in the middle east since the last 30 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending