The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

English lit exams at Exeter

I know there are some 24hr at home exams for English at Exeter, but I often struggle with memory and writing in timed conditions, and so was wondering if there are any closed book or in person exams? Thanks
Reply 1
Hi! Hope you are well - I just finished my second year studying English at Exeter and I've always had 24-hour online exams! Before covid I think they did closed-book and in-person but I think they must have found that the 24-hour system works much better for a subject like English. However, I'm not sure if some modules may be reintroducing the in-person exams or making it so the online exam is timed with 2-hours to complete - you will probably have to check for your module. You can check on the intranet here: https://intranet.exeter.ac.uk/humanities/studying/undergraduates/modules/ The modules should have the mode of assessment written. You could also talk to the Wellbeing and AccessAbility team to see if there maybe could be some measures/adjustments put in place in the case that some of your exams are timed/in-person/closed-book. Hope this helps and do let me know if you have any more questions about the course!! :smile: All the best :h:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Izzyxx458
I know there are some 24hr at home exams for English at Exeter, but I often struggle with memory and writing in timed conditions, and so was wondering if there are any closed book or in person exams? Thanks

Hi Izzy,

I don't study English so I can't say for certain, but to reiterate what another poster has said, I think over the last couple years there has been a move towards open book 24 hour exams as opposed to closed book. I completely empathise with you, as I also struggle with remembering things in exams. If you do have closed book exams, try to think of it as an opportunity to try new ways of studying that might work better for - I like to plaster my walls with colourful condensed posters. I'm sure you've already seen similar things but I thought it might be worth linking a resource on different ways to revise. Some might sound silly but you never know, they might work really well for you!:smile:

If you do have closed book exams and it causes you to panic, remember we have an excellent wellbeing team that can support you. They might offer advise or be able to forward you onto someone else who can help more specifically.

I really want to find the answer for you so I will try to email someone from the English department to ask if they have any information. If I hear anything back I will be sure to let you know!

I hope this helps!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by eloise_j
Hi! Hope you are well - I just finished my second year studying English at Exeter and I've always had 24-hour online exams! Before covid I think they did closed-book and in-person but I think they must have found that the 24-hour system works much better for a subject like English. However, I'm not sure if some modules may be reintroducing the in-person exams or making it so the online exam is timed with 2-hours to complete - you will probably have to check for your module. You can check on the intranet here: https://intranet.exeter.ac.uk/humanities/studying/undergraduates/modules/ The modules should have the mode of assessment written. You could also talk to the Wellbeing and AccessAbility team to see if there maybe could be some measures/adjustments put in place in the case that some of your exams are timed/in-person/closed-book. Hope this helps and do let me know if you have any more questions about the course!! :smile: All the best :h:

Thanks for replying :smile: that’s exactly what I thought might be the case. The modules currently state some are assessed as 24 hours and some as 2 hour exams, however I know someone who did a 24 hour online exam for a module which currently states it’s assessment is a 2 hour exam - so will have to wait and see 😬 Will do, thanks again :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi Izzy,

I don't study English so I can't say for certain, but to reiterate what another poster has said, I think over the last couple years there has been a move towards open book 24 hour exams as opposed to closed book. I completely empathise with you, as I also struggle with remembering things in exams. If you do have closed book exams, try to think of it as an opportunity to try new ways of studying that might work better for - I like to plaster my walls with colourful condensed posters. I'm sure you've already seen similar things but I thought it might be worth linking a resource on different ways to revise. Some might sound silly but you never know, they might work really well for you!:smile:

If you do have closed book exams and it causes you to panic, remember we have an excellent wellbeing team that can support you. They might offer advise or be able to forward you onto someone else who can help more specifically.

I really want to find the answer for you so I will try to email someone from the English department to ask if they have any information. If I hear anything back I will be sure to let you know!

I hope this helps!

Bethan

Thank you so much for that advice and for reaching out to the English department! :smile: hopefully if they respond I can at least be prepared and reach out to those who can offer support :smile:
Original post by Izzyxx458
Thank you so much for that advice and for reaching out to the English department! :smile: hopefully if they respond I can at least be prepared and reach out to those who can offer support :smile:

Hi Izzy,

Great news! I've just heard back from the head of the English and Creative Writing department and there is no longer any closed book exams in English and Creative writing. Instead all exams will be Option 1 - "An open-book non-invigilated exam that must be completed and submitted within a 24 hour period following the start time written on your paper and on your timetable".

I hope this eases your worries!:smile:

Bethan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending