The Student Room Group

Homeless people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Wow thanks guys, I think I could talk on this subject for way over a minute now :smile:

Here's some points though from both sides of the argument to rebuttle:
- People become homeless for different reasons. One must not judge.
- You could say hello to them, be gentle, give them a bit of respect.
- As for the ones that do not work for you (referring to case study point in my OP) perhaps it was due to a lack of confidence?

- Is it not their fault that they find themselves in need?
- Shouldn't you be careful when giving them money?
- Should you not sooner put them in contact of a lodgement centre?
- What can you do in the long term to help a homeless person recover?

Original post by GraceOfSpades
I had to read a book called "Stone Cold" in school a few years back and it gave me a really different perspective on homelessness. Its fiction and some parts are just for drama but overall its a very interesting look on how kids similar to my age are affected....

I read this book once!! I totally forgot about it! It was interesting.. Maybe I was a little too young to read it at the time though..
Reply 41
Homeless people do suffer abuse, a lot of homeless people are actually decent, educated people.
Reply 42
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
http://www.thepavement.co.uk/story.php?story=62 Last November The Pavement ran a story on the figures for the number of ex-servicemen on the street, questioning the traditional figure of approximately 25 per cent of readers being ex-Forces. Ten years ago, a report published by ESAG claimed that nearly a quarter - 22 per cent - of those living on the streets had a military background. http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/media-centre/news/poppy-support/the-number-of-homeless-veterans-dropping-but-more-needs-to-be-done The researchers have estimated that there are around 1,100 single homeless veterans living in hostels or sleeping rough in London each night. That's just a) veterans and b)in London! :smile: scary to think that! And I don't agree with your point about being deceiful, that's like saying all old people smell and won't be quiet!

Having read the links, it is clear to me that you have selected what you believe to be the strongest points that reinforce your argument. You forgot the rest of the stats and the fact that it says that the numbers are decreasing, and the fact that this artefact is almost three years old. You are so not biased.:wink: Anything else you say is void, so please just stop.

And like it or not, homeless people are deceitful. They'll swear blind that that the money you give them will go toward food and spend it on something completely else like, for example, drugs. Hmm such desperate hungry souls, right. Wake up.
Original post by Converse
Having read the links, it is clear to me that you have selected what you believe to be the strongest points that reinforce your argument. You forgot the rest of the stats and the fact that it says that the numbers are decreasing, and the fact that this artefact is almost three years old. You are so not biased.:wink: Anything else you say is void, so please just stop.

And like it or not, homeless people are deceitful. They'll swear blind that that the money you give them will go toward food and spend it on something completely else like, for example, drugs. Hmm such desperate hungry souls, right. Wake up.

Actually, I'm not biased. It's true. They may be descreasing but do you really think they could go from 23% to 2% in 3 years? It will have shifted by about 3%. Youth crime is also going down but I bet you wouldn't believe that either. You need to do some reading, or volunteer for shelter. Until you've done that please don't comment or judge what you clearly don't understand.
Original post by Kaykiie
I know that you've said that the opinion isn't your own OP. But as someone who has been officially classed as homeless before, I'd like to point out to everyone that homelessness can happen to anybody at any age for any reason. I for one did not drink or take drugs.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get into that situation?
And then how did you get out of it?
If you're not comfortable with giving money to homeless people because you think they'll spend it on drugs/alcohol then there's plenty of other things you can do. Buy them a coffee, give them some old clothes, give them money off coupons you have lying about in your wallet, tell them to join the Big Issue (so they have a regular income and might be able to get off their feet).
(edited 13 years ago)
Give them food
Reply 47
Original post by Leonie01
Where did i say you criticized their alcohol use? I only talked about it because you said they are all addicts and therefore deserve to be homeless and ignored. Again, why do you keep on claiming they refuse to put in the effort? How do you know this without having talked to them? Prejudices are an ugly thing.

You are mistaken. I never said that they are all addicts and therefore deserve to be homeless and ignored... Can you even read?

Havent you thought about that maybe it is easier to get out of this with help from others? If you havent, then maybe you should do some research about the importance of social networks and family systems. It is much harder if you dont have anyone.

I don't doubt that. But I personally don't want to help them as I don't trust them.

Your tendency to generalise everything is disturbing. Do you have any valid studies which indicate that they have all been " lazy bastards" at one time in their life? I doubt you will find them. They could have been runaway teens who became homeless, people who lost their jobs (you know, nothing unheard of in this economy) and couldnt find another job.

Excuse me, if you lose your job you do not become homeless immediately. Ever heard of a payout? They had plenty of time to find a new one but were too lazy to do so.

All of us who have money should give to those who havent. Thank God there are less selfish people around who dont mind sharing their hard earned money. Those who dont have any money can still volunteer.

What? Are you mental? why "Should" anyone give to someone else? They are not entitled to it. I don't know if you are trolling, but if you are then please stop. It's pointless.

Erm no, i dont avoid them and i dont give to every single one of them esp. those that seem intoxicated. I give to the homeless who sell a homeless magazine. This magazine is published once a month and tells their stories and has some other stuff in it. Homeless people in my city have the option to buy it from shelters for a small amount of money and then sell it for profit.

So they are homeless, yet manage to afford a magazine?:rolleyes:

It is hardly being lazy standing around for hours in pedestrian zones selling magazines, these people are not drunk although you claim all homeless are. They are determined to improve their situation and i gladly buy a magazine or when i already have that magazine, i just give them some money anyways.

:mad:I never said all homeless people were drunk!

I am not taking a moral highground, i didnt claim i am mother teresa or the kindest person out there. But i dont generalise all homeless people and claim they have all been lazy, are deceitful and are all addicts. How rude of you to make a character assumption and say they are all deceitful yet you dont even know any.

I could make a character assumption of you but it would be ugly. You really seem to be a cold, selfish, judgemental person. I hope you will become kinder in the future and less bitter.

Guess I'll finish outside the quote box...

You are more then welcome to make a character judgement on me if you wish, but that does not mean that you are right. It's just your opinion on me bases on my opinion on others and thus is likely to be extremely inaccurate, which it is.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
Green_Lantern
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get into that situation?
And then how did you get out of it?

Original post by Green_Lantern

I was thrown out of my house when I'd just turned 17 and was put on the homeless list but was never offered any accommodation. I was taken into Women's Aid and then I rented a room in a shared house after I'd been given special consideration by the council (in order to receive income support & housing benefit). I did my A Levels and I'm now in my second year of University (took myself off income support just after I finished A Levels).

So whilst I had a lot of help to find my way, it goes to show that there are plenty of homeless people who aren't drug addicts or alcoholics :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
read stuart: a life backwards (not entirely relevant, but a brilliant book i think you all should read anyway)
Reply 50
Depending on how much cash I have on me/ how close I am to a shop I might ask them if they want a drink or a sandwich or something.
I don't give straight cash cos I don't know how they will spend it, and I don't just randomly thrust a BLT on them, I always ask first.

If they ask for a fag or a light I'll happily give them one of those too.
Reply 51
Original post by Kaykiie
I was thrown out of my house when I'd just turned 17 and was put on the homeless list but was never offered any accommodation. I was taken into Women's Aid and then I rented a room in a shared house after I'd been given special consideration by the council (in order to receive income support & housing benefit). I did my A Levels and I'm now in my second year of University (took myself off income support just after I finished A Levels).

So whilst I had a lot of help to find my way, it goes to show that there are plenty of homeless people who aren't drug addicts or alcoholics :smile:

You are an inspiration to the others, well done. Also, why did you get kicked out?
Reply 52
Actually, I'm not biased. It's true. They may be descreasing but do you really think they could go from 23% to 2% in 3 years? It will have shifted by about 3%. Youth crime is also going down but I bet you wouldn't believe that either. You need to do some reading, or volunteer for shelter. Until you've done that please don't comment or judge what you clearly don't understand.

You're not biased? Wow, you make no sense at all. Until you're ready to come back without this tremendous bias don't comment or judge what you clearly haven't researched properly.
Reply 53
Original post by DH-Biker
In fairness, even with registered charities you don't know where your money's going.
"Why don't you just give that money to us, and we'll err... We'll see it gets to them..."
I know exactly where my money's going. Too that guy in town with three socks and one shoe.
And now its going to the off-license.
And then you get people saying, (not you, but just for argument's sake), "You can't do that! They'll spend it on booze!"
Well what did they think I was going to spend it on...

Still, you must admit, we are almost persuaded to NOT talk to the homeless. Or so I've found, at any rate. :confused:

Meh, I'd personally give my money direct to the poor guy. Let 'em spend it on what they want, I think. If they buy drugs and die of starvation or thirst, well, someone clearly made the wrong decision.

oh, by a handout i meant you physically mosey upto a street corner with food/clothing supplies, if you do it on the regular the homeless just come to you :smile:

yeah, there is a big stigma surrounding them, whether they are substance abusers or not (i'm told that they apparently are, in cambridge anyway)

haha you're arguing that addiction is rational :smile: which it is..to their drug-addled brain. i would want to at least attempt to give them supplies in the form of food etc. rather than money
You're not biased? Wow, you make no sense at all. Until you're ready to come back without this tremendous bias don't comment or judge what you clearly haven't researched properly.

I study it actually, and having been homeless I know a fair few things.
Reply 55
I study it actually, and having been homeless I know a fair few things.

May I ask why you were homeless?
May I ask why you were homeless?

To cut a long story short my father was an alcoholic and used to hit me. My mothers parners brother abused me and she didn't believe me- my dad kicked me out and my mother/other family didn't want me.
Reply 57
To cut a long story short my father was an alcoholic and used to hit me. My mothers parners brother abused me and she didn't believe me- my dad kicked me out and my mother/other family didn't want me.

That sucks..
I'm sorry for what you went through, and also if I offended you at all.
Did you actually have to sleep on the street, though?
That sucks..
I'm sorry for what you went through, and also if I offended you at all.
Did you actually have to sleep on the street, though?

Ah no problems :smile: same to you (if I offender you). Yeh I did =/
Reply 59
Ah no problems :smile: same to you (if I offender you). Yeh I did =/

Nah you didn't offend me.

How did you get out of the street scenario? (Sorry I am intrigued now)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending