The Student Room Group

The Oxford Handbook of Criminology, not needed anymore?

Hi :smile:

I just got reading suggestions from the University of Manchester, where I applied for the Criminology course. One of the books is The Oxford Handbook of Criminology.

I was wondering if anyone has it anyone has it, and does not need it anymore. It is quiet expensive, so it would be cool to buy it second hand of someone.

I've got it, but I'm keeping it because like you said it's expensive! Look on eBay, amazon - there's usually a few on there. Also it's a very good textbook for general
Criminology, so defo get it if you can and keep it!! ( Get the new one, not the old one).
Reply 2
Original post by DancinBallerina
I've got it, but I'm keeping it because like you said it's expensive! Look on eBay, amazon - there's usually a few on there. Also it's a very good textbook for general
Criminology, so defo get it if you can and keep it!! ( Get the new one, not the old one).

thanks for the advice :smile: Are you or did you study Criminology?
Tbh, you should be able to find the book in the library and hold onto it for a while. I've had my copy of Newburn's Criminology since October, and it's one of the most popular books for my course.
Reply 4
Original post by psychocustard
Tbh, you should be able to find the book in the library and hold onto it for a while. I've had my copy of Newburn's Criminology since October, and it's one of the most popular books for my course.

well, the library is the problem - I am from Italy, so there we don't have it anyway, and at the moment I'm living in Ireland. but the libraries here are so small and just bad, they would not have it :frown:

probably I am just gonna buy it - maybe Santa is very nice to me this year :P

where are you studying Criminology? Do you enjoy it?? :smile:
Original post by Julimond
well, the library is the problem - I am from Italy, so there we don't have it anyway, and at the moment I'm living in Ireland. but the libraries here are so small and just bad, they would not have it :frown:

probably I am just gonna buy it - maybe Santa is very nice to me this year :P

where are you studying Criminology? Do you enjoy it?? :smile:

I meant the university library when you actually get there - they'll have it in stock so just borrow it first. It's worth seeing if you actually like the book if you do actually buy it, anyway.

I only do a module of criminology as part of my social policy course this year - I studied it with law last year though and I didn't enjoy it that much, I'll admit.
thanks for the advice :smile: Are you or did you study Criminology?

I finished the degree this year and graduated 2weeks ago.

The reason why I'm keeping the textbook is because sometime in the future, I'd like to do a Msc in Criminology and/or Criminal Justice. And I know if I give away all my books, I'll want them back as they are good.
Reply 7
You'll have plenty of time to get it from the Manchester library.
Reply 8
Original post by DancinBallerina
I finished the degree this year and graduated 2weeks ago.

The reason why I'm keeping the textbook is because sometime in the future, I'd like to do a Msc in Criminology and/or Criminal Justice. And I know if I give away all my books, I'll want them back as they are good.

I can understand that. I never give my books away either, even though I know that I probably wont use them anymore - there is just something special about keeping books and they are useful as well in the future, just as you said:smile:
Reply 9
Congrats by the way :smile: What are you doing now? Taking a gap year or straight on to studies again?
Reply 10
Original post by Kerny
You'll have plenty of time to get it from the Manchester library.

Well, they give it to the students as reading suggestions before starting the course..
I can understand that. I never give my books away either, even though I know that I probably wont use them anymore - there is just something special about keeping books and they are useful as well in the future, just as you said:smile:

Yea, I like to hored books :teeth:, but I know at some point they do come in useful, even if it's x amount of years later lol.

Congrats by the way :smile: What are you doing now? Taking a gap year or straight on to studies again?

Thank you :smile:. I'm currently job hunting but with xmas, there is bugger all, and plus I've been quite unwell for sometime. So hopefully in the new year when jobs pick up and I gain back my health, the hunt will begin hardcore.
Reply 12
Hehe, hope you'll find a good job so :smile:

I ordered the book here in the bookshop in Italy - I just came back Sunday for the holidays.

God, my flight was supposed to be on Saturday, but it was cancelled and then I had to go to Dublin to get the flight from there and I was staying at the airport the whole night-60 hours without sleep - such a mess!! I am glad to be home :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending