The Student Room Group

offical AQA a level chemisty unit 4 thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Theres 2 ways about reaction mechanisms, you could just remember them, drill them into your head. Or you could try and understand them.

I'll be honest, at A-level there isn't much clarity on why certain mechanisms occur. But if you for example are having problems with acylation, look at all of them, there is a pattern, learn it :P

Its not easy, but its rewarding :biggrin:
Original post by somaliya
thanks:smile: I understand the basics of splitting but i'm really stuck on this question-
the reaction of but-2-ene with chlorine produces 2,3-dicholorbutane (C4H8CL2), the compund T also has an isomer C4H8CL2 produces a proton n.m.r spectrum which consists only of two singlets with an integration ratio of 3:1. Draw the structure of compound T. Can you help me please? :s-smilie:

2 CH3 bonded to a C.

This C is bonded to a Cl

This C is also bonded to a CH2Cl group

We have two singlets and a integ ratio of 3:1

It's difficult to explain how u get there, but trial and error works for me :dontknow: just think about it logically, and double check your answers!!!
Original post by Gurnani P
Theres 2 ways about reaction mechanisms, you could just remember them, drill them into your head. Or you could try and understand them.

I'll be honest, at A-level there isn't much clarity on why certain mechanisms occur. But if you for example are having problems with acylation, look at all of them, there is a pattern, learn it :P

Its not easy, but its rewarding :biggrin:

In effect all the acylation mechanisms are the same, but involve different reactants, e.g ammonia, amine, alcohol, water
Reply 43
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
In effect all the acylation mechanisms are the same, but involve different reactants, e.g ammonia, amine, alcohol, water

yh i know lol...

stil confuses me!! guess i'v got two weeks to learn them inside out!

thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 44
I know, I did this last year :P Im at uni doing chemistry :biggrin: so so much better :P
Reply 45
Has any 1 done the a2 chem isa?
Reply 46
Anyone got the mark scheme for the June 2010 paper? We had a mock on Thursday but our teacher said that she can't give us the mark scheme? :s-smilie: All we got back was the question paper.
Reply 48
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
Anyone got the mark scheme for the June 2010 paper? We had a mock on Thursday but our teacher said that she can't give us the mark scheme? :s-smilie: All we got back was the question paper.

Could you post the paper please
Original post by aimz08
Could you post the paper please

Here it is :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
Here it is :smile:

Thanks a lot
If I get hold of the MS I'll let you know :smile:
Original post by aimz08
Thanks a lot
If I get hold of the MS I'll let you know :smile:

Your welcome and yeah that would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 52
Reply 53
hi just want to find out if anyone has the unit 4 aqa june 2010 chemistry mark scheme?
Thnxxz
Reply 54
2 CH3 bonded to a C.

This C is bonded to a Cl

This C is also bonded to a CH2Cl group

We have two singlets and a integ ratio of 3:1

It's difficult to explain how u get there, but trial and error works for me :dontknow: just think about it logically, and double check your answers!!!

thanks:smile: I was thinking along the right lines..but I didn't think it was right.

C(CH3)2ClCH2Cl is the answer, but I don't understand how there can be 2 singlets. we have CH3 next to a hydrogen so must be a doublet and a hydrogen is next to a CH3 so there's a quartet:s
thanks:smile: I was thinking along the right lines..but I didn't think it was right.

C(CH3)2ClCH2Cl is the answer, but I don't understand how there can be 2 singlets. we have CH3 next to a hydrogen so must be a doublet and a hydrogen is next to a CH3 so there's a quartet:s

how? draw the molecule. There is no hydrogen atom on the adjacent carbon atom, there's a Cl molecule.
Reply 56
how? draw the molecule. There is no hydrogen atom on the adjacent carbon atom, there's a Cl molecule.

ooh yeah I get it now that i've drawn it out...do you know the general conditions for a nucleophillic addition reaction between cyanide and a carbonyl compound? Is it always reflux?
thanks:smile: I understand the basics of splitting but i'm really stuck on this question-
the reaction of but-2-ene with chlorine produces 2,3-dicholorbutane (C4H8CL2), the compund T also has an isomer C4H8CL2 produces a proton n.m.r spectrum which consists only of two singlets with an integration ratio of 3:1. Draw the structure of compound T. Can you help me please? :s-smilie:

I think that you are looking at a low resolution spectrum and the structure is

CH3-CHCl-CHCl-CH3 :smile: hope this is right
Reply 58
Done the 2010 paper, anyone wanna compare answers?
why is the answer 5, on question 4b on the june 2010 paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending