The Student Room Group

York or Southampton or Sheffield?

Which one of better for straight L100 economics?

Take into account everything

*by the way does anyone know what was Durham's A-level entry requirements for last year for L100 economics?
Reply 1
to be fair the difference between the 3 is extremely marginal (assuming you chose the BSc at sheffield), selecting one over another will not really improve nor hinder your employment opportunities (although alot of the TAELT fanboys will be saying york = southampton > sheffield) - just visit them and choose the one you prefer. and durham was AAA last year.
Reply 2
Original post by pow!
to be fair the difference between the 3 is extremely marginal (assuming you chose the BSc at sheffield), selecting one over another will not really improve nor hinder your employment opportunities (although alot of the TAELT fanboys will be saying york = southampton > sheffield) - just visit them and choose the one you prefer. and durham was AAA last year.

Exactly this, but I would say York is slightly better than Southampton but that is being really picky. You need to base it on other factors, like where do you think you would prefer to be etc.
Reply 3
Visit all three and compare. There's little in it. Both York and Southampton's courses have the potential to be far more quantitative than Sheffield's BSc course, but this makes no difference in employment for the vast majority of careers. (It's only worth considering if you're looking into actuarial, for example.)

The nice thing about Southampton is that it's in the south and on the sea, and has beaches pretty close. (Sandbanks, Bournemouth, etc.) That said, the university is quite a way outside of the city and so you could feel claustrophobic if you don't like the campus atmosphere.

Others would prefer Sheffield due to the fact it's very much a city-based university. Then there are those who'd prefer York since it's a lot more tranquil and slow-paced.

If you've any questions specific to Southampton, just let me know.
Reply 4
I'm at Southampton. It's important to note that Southampton economics students are not allowed to take any modules from the school of mathematics, if you were pondering doing that, then this might affect your decision.
Reply 5
Original post by AnHuman
I'm at Southampton. It's important to note that Southampton economics students are not allowed to take any modules from the school of mathematics, if you were pondering doing that, then this might affect your decision.

We can in the second and third year, though.
Reply 6
Original post by .ACS.
We can in the second and third year, though.

Ah, MUCH BETTER.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending