The Student Room Group

IS GCSE Foreign Language vital for Uni's ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by singe95
I am doing my GCSE's this summer and have dropped it already and it is too late, are my chances '0'? go i am upset :frown:

dont get upset....it dependz wt ur aspirations are? wt field u wanna go into and what uni? lang is important now due to the stiff competition. its not neccessary..but if u have the chance do it! esp if ur a capable student
Reply 21
Original post by Rahul.S
dont get upset....it dependz wt ur aspirations are? wt field u wanna go into and what uni? lang is important now due to the stiff competition. its not neccessary..but if u have the chance do it! esp if ur a capable student

I want to be a lawyer :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Original post by singe95
THANK GOD! i got so worried that without it i would be stuffed,
yes that was the reason i dropped it to help my english, 6A*s 3A's-4A*'s 5A would be my max poteintal i could get in GCSE's would that be good enough for a russel group uni?

UCL won't consider you if you don't have a foreign language GCSE.
Reply 23
Original post by singe95
I want to be a lawyer :s-smilie:

i no some students in my school tht want to be lawyers and all have done languages. wt gcse'z are u expecting? if ur looking for all a's and above then u sud consider doing a lang if possible in as and strt preparin for it bit by bit now as u have the time in GCSE. :biggrin:
Reply 24
yer i know about UCL
Reply 25
Original post by Rahul.S
i no some students in my school tht want to be lawyers and all have done languages. wt gcse'z are u expecting? if ur looking for all a's and above then u sud consider doing a lang if possible in as and strt preparin for it bit by bit now as u have the time in GCSE. :biggrin:

6A*s 3A's-4A*'s 5A
kinda **** not doing a language.
Lol.
Reply 28
Original post by singe95
6A*s 3A's-4A*'s 5A

in basic words...if u can do a lang do it...thts my opinion :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by boromir9111
Lol.

???
Not vital but worth it if you can get a good grade in it :smile: But I got into York, Bristol, Birmingham and Leeds with an E at GCSE language (German) plus assorted other rubbish GCSEs so it's not a hindrance unless you are doing english lit at uni or applying to Oxbridge.
Reply 31
Although people on this thread state that GCSE Foreign Language is not important, that is not actually true for some cases. For example, starting next year UCL Medical School requires that all applicants have a modern language at up to GCSE Level for entry into the undergraduate medical course. So remember to check carefully. :smile:
I have a friend who is applying for English Literature. She had to write a letter explaining why she has not get a GCSE in foreign language. So I'll assume that GCSE foreign language is compulsory for English at uni.
Reply 33
Original post by Jackso
No. It isn't. That individual is a moron.

If you're talking about me, then you clearly didn't read what I said. I never said it was vital, just helpful. For some universities it is, or certainly was, a requirement, but for the majority it isn't. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do one though.
To be fair it really only depends on what you want to study at university and how your other grades are.

Take me for example I've applied for Maths (with finance)

I got an E in spanish GCSE but got mainly A* in other subjects mainly A's at AS and 3 A prediction from school. I've already got offers from manchester, nottingham, southampton and lancaster and i'm just waiting on LSE. So it really depends on your situation.
Reply 35
Original post by fist of the south star
To be fair it really only depends on what you want to study at university and how your other grades are.

Take me for example I've applied for Maths (with finance)

I got an E in spanish GCSE but got mainly A* in other subjects mainly A's at AS and 3 A prediction from school. I've already got offers from manchester, nottingham, southampton and lancaster and i'm just waiting on LSE. So it really depends on your situation.

well history or PPE and i am predicted 4A*'s 5A's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending