The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

sigh. I screwed up my interview with oxford, guess the oxford's a goodbye now.. :frown:
Original post by dalvingill
leeds???with what grades???

3.6 gpa from sp
hey guys is the hike of tuition fee affecting international students like us?
Original post by tanglewire
hey guys is the hike of tuition fee affecting international students like us?

If the hike really takes effect, they'll definitely increase the fees for students like us, I suppose...

Btw i have questions to ask abt filling up ucas.

For qualification date, I read from other threads that we should put the date of result release, instead of date when we took the exam. But that would mean we have to alter the date of attendance at our sch to March the following yr, since the yr of qualification and sch attendance must be the same, which is weird. So did y all put Nov or Mar?

I also heard from my friends that for employment section, NSFs have to put NS as our employment. Is it true that we must include that?
Reply 2204
Original post by superkinetic
If the hike really takes effect, they'll definitely increase the fees for students like us, I suppose...

I doubt it. We're paying the full costs of a University education, the UK government subsidises the costs for the local students. The UK government will now be subsidising less.
The rise in fees will only be affecting those applying for the year 2012/13 so those applying for 2011/12 will not be affected, I doubt it will affect international student fees though cos they pay the full sum
Omg, why all of you guys are going to top 20 unis ;( No one apping to mediocre unis in UK?
Reply 2207
Original post by HayThereMardyBum
Omg, why all of you guys are going to top 20 unis ;( No one apping to mediocre unis in UK?

Might as well apply to mediocre unis in other parts of Europe / Asia then. It's cheaper.
hey, is any1 free from around 26th-30th jan 2011 to show/advice me about london?

i'm going to ucl on 25th jan (:

email me if you are! [email protected]
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Narev
Might as well apply to mediocre unis in other parts of Europe / Asia then. It's cheaper.

I'm sorry, I didn't exactly refer to mediocre. More like those slightly off the list, Probably top 40?
Reply 2210
Original post by HayThereMardyBum
I'm sorry, I didn't exactly refer to mediocre. More like those slightly off the list, Probably top 40?

Heh. There are Singaporeans there. Just that they don't come onto TSR, I suppose. You can always check out the Singsoc OR the Malaysian Societies (some Singsocs combine with them) in these Universities.
I also heard from my friends that for employment section, NSFs have to put NS as our employment. Is it true that we must include that?

Anyone knows abt this?:biggrin:
Reply 2212
Anyone knows abt this?:biggrin:

I don't think you need to include this. I did not, and still got offers. I assume the admission tutors know that poor Singaporean guys like us have to go through two years of National Slavery Service.

Perhaps it will be good if you include a passing statement in your PS what you have done in these two years of national service in relation to the degree you are pursuing.
Original post by wkmw
I don't think you need to include this. I did not, and still got offers. I assume the admission tutors know that poor Singaporean guys like us have to go through two years of National Slavery Service.

Ok great, I will exclude that then.

Anw I am on my way to complete my last part of app. But it's still difficult for me to reach to a satisfying decision on if I should stick to NUS/NTU or Imperial/UCL/Manchester engineering.

Here are some factors that I tot of why I should come to UK:

- Reputation and teaching quality is much better than singapore ones
- Exciting overseas experience, new friends
- 3 yrs to get Beng, instead of 4 yrs in singapore

And yup, here's a long list of stuff that's deterring me:

- Detached from family, friends and home environment
- Total expense to study in UK for 3 yrs is at least 5 - 6 times than that if I study in NUS and I miss the luxury of NTU scholarship
- If I wish to be a chartered engineer, NUS/NTU Beng will be enough, I heard. But having a UK Beng isn't enough; still need UK Meng to be chartered engineer - I decide to stop at UK Beng due to financial constraints.

I wonder is the reputation and overseas experience worth the $. I thought maybe I should just stick to NUS for best.

Thoughts anyone?
To fellow Singaporeans in the UK: How's the social life over there like? Is there racial prejudice against asians (or Singaporeans) in general? Who/where do you usually hang out at? I don't really see the point in going overseas to study if there's no genuine interaction with people over there in the university! :s-smilie:
Reply 2215
Hello Singaporeans!

Anybody going to/went to the university of st andrews? Applied for International Relations there but the uni seems very... white-washed. As in small Asian community ><.
So if any Singaporeans reading this goes there... how's life over at St. Andrews? :smile:
Original post by jmism
Hello Singaporeans!

Anybody going to/went to the university of st andrews? Applied for International Relations there but the uni seems very... white-washed. As in small Asian community ><.
So if any Singaporeans reading this goes there... how's life over at St. Andrews? :smile:

I heard that St. Andrews is a very beautiful university, set in picturesque Scotland :coma:
Reply 2217
Original post by BrilliantMinds
I heard that St. Andrews is a very beautiful university, set in picturesque Scotland :coma:

YEAP! That's what I heard too! And the campus looks so beautiful in the videos/pictures I've seen. Hopefully I can get in *crosses fingers*.
Original post by jmism
YEAP! That's what I heard too! And the campus looks so beautiful in the videos/pictures I've seen. Hopefully I can get in *crosses fingers*.

can one lah, what are your grades?
Reply 2219
Original post by BrilliantMinds
can one lah, what are your grades?

Just took the A levels this year.

Prelims
As' for Chem (pretty sure I screwed up chem though. This year's paper was srsly a killer), China Studies in Chinese and History.
B for Math & GP.
H3 NUS Geopolitics :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest