The Student Room Group

Do you like charity xmas gifts eg Oxfam Unwrapped ?

How would you feel (honestly) if instead of an xmas gift, you received a charity donation in your name, for example a gift card saying 'a donation has been made in your name for £10 to WaterAid' or, more trendily, an oxfam unwrapped gift whih is a picture card saying the money has been used to buy eg a goat in africa?

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-unwrapped

some people think it is too do-gooding to impose your wish to donate to charity on others. other people, like me, would like it.

how would you feel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by shinytoy
x

I would appreciate their good gesture, but at the same time wonder why they chose to use the money they could have spent on my present for such a gesture, as I am not one who strongly believes in charity. Thus, said donation would not necessarily reflect what I would use the money for, therefore a decision has been made on my behalf with which I do not agree or have any support for.

If they wish to donate that much then they should just ask others to give them cash for a present and use that money to donate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I'd feel annoyed. If they want to give to charity so badly, they should request that a donation be made on their behalf as their present.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by EskimoJo
I'd feel annoyed. If they want to give to charity so badly, they should request that a donation be made on their behalf as their present.

yeah i mean i love Oxfam, i used to work for them in the school hols as a volunteer. i have specifically asked people to choose me a gift form the oxfam unwrapped catalogue for xmas as it will help poverty, and i dont really need anything. plus, alot of thougth goes into choosing which one the person woudl liek

but because I like oxfam and unwrapped gifts, i wasnt sure if it would be cool to give them to other people or if they would be annoyed? i mean, surely you dont need MORE chocolates or bath sets???
Reply 4
yeah i mean i love Oxfam, i used to work for them in the school hols as a volunteer. i have specifically asked people to choose me a gift form the oxfam unwrapped catalogue for xmas as it will help poverty, and i dont really need anything. plus, alot of thougth goes into choosing which one the person woudl liek

but because I like oxfam and unwrapped gifts, i wasnt sure if it would be cool to give them to other people or if they would be annoyed? i mean, surely you dont need MORE chocolates or bath sets???

If you can't think beyond chocolate and bath sets, don't bother. The fiver spent would be more appreciated.
Reply 5
Original post by EskimoJo
If you can't think beyond chocolate and bath sets, don't bother. The fiver spent would be more appreciated.

yeah but you know qhat i mean, gifts for people where not much though has gone in, just cos you should get them something but dunno what theyd like
Reply 6
I love Oxfam! Make Poverty History, Make Trade Fair!!!!
Reply 7
Meh, I don't really need nor want anything so it's all good.
How would you feel (honestly) if instead of an xmas gift, you received a charity donation in your name, for example a gift card saying 'a donation has been made in your name for £10 to WaterAid' or, more trendily, an oxfam unwrapped gift whih is a picture card saying the money has been used to buy eg a goat in africa?

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-unwrapped

some people think it is too do-gooding to impose your wish to donate to charity on others. other people, like me, would like it.

how would you feel?

As long as it's actually a charity I support, I'd be pleased.
Reply 9
Original post by TheSownRose
As long as it's actually a charity I support, I'd be pleased.

do you support Oxfam? :mad:
do you support Oxfam? :mad:

It's not one of the ones I actively give to, no. I support RNLI, WaterAid and Cats' Protection ... so if someone where to make a donation to any of these in my name, that'd be a pretty great gift.
Reply 11
It's not one of the ones I actively give to, no. I support RNLI, WaterAid and Cats' Protection ... so if someone where to make a donation to any of these in my name, that'd be a pretty great gift.

lol whenever those charity clipboard people in town approach me, and i say i only/already support Oxfam or The Big Issue they look at me as if i had uttered a slur or expelled a foul stench
lol whenever those charity clipboard people in town approach me, and i say i only/already support Oxfam or The Big Issue they look at me as if i had uttered a slur or expelled a foul stench

Hope you're not going to look at me like that... :s-smilie:

There are just so many that you have to pick a few that mean something to you to support.
Really would depend on the charity, there are some I wouldn't give to but am otherwise indifferent to (animal charities) and some I actively dislike (NSPCC). However if it was a charity like Oxfam I wouldn't mind, although to be honest I wouldn't get a charity Christmas present for someone, I'm just think charity is an individual thing, not something you should force on people.
Reply 14
Hope you're not going to look at me like that... :s-smilie:

There are just so many that you have to pick a few that mean something to you to support.

dont worry, i have exclusively reserved my 'foul stench face' for those asking for donations to go to world youth day, or charity fundraising treks across somwhere cool abroad.

i'm so like why should i pay for you to have a holiday? you want to raise money, then do it in this country so MOST of the money can go to the charity. in abroad cases, unless you raise over circa £1000, ALL of the fundraising money will go on your holiday. :mad: i only support stuff like that if it is AWESOME like a guy in my work running Marathon des Sables, 6 back to back marathons across the sahara desert :eek3::eek::eek3::eek:
Reply 15
Original post by medbh4805
Really would depend on the charity, there are some I wouldn't give to but am otherwise indifferent to (animal charities) and some I actively dislike (NSPCC). However if it was a charity like Oxfam I wouldn't mind, although to be honest I wouldn't get a charity Christmas present for someone, I'm just think charity is an individual thing, not something you should force on people.

yeah im indifferent to animal and environmental charities, they are good and all but meh i prefer oxfam and the big issue.

but why dont you like nspcc???? :eek: i dont think there are ANY charities i dislike, why would you dislike a charity???
yeah im indifferent to animal and environmental charities, they are good and all but meh i prefer oxfam and the big issue.

but why dont you like nspcc???? :eek: i dont think there are ANY charities i dislike, why would you dislike a charity???

Have a look at these
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/3588103/NSPCCs-wrong-priorities.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1422940/NSPCC-told-to-spend-its-cash-on-children-not-campaigning.html

I never give them money, and I discourage other people from doing so too.
Reply 17

wow thats awful. now i dont like them much either. i never knew they had statutory powers either. they suck.
I like charity. Donating is a great thing to do.
However, responding to my gift to you by giving someone in Africa a goat seems a little odd. And a little cheap/ half arsed. It's like they want to give to charity, but don't actually want to give away anything more than they had planned, so are doing it instead of buying me a present. The card you get sort of says 'tough ****, this guy got your present' to me.
wow thats awful. now i dont like them much either. i never knew they had statutory powers either. they suck.

:sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending