The Student Room Group

Pulse Oximeter

I’ve just bought my stethoscope for clinical school and got the cardio pod case to store it in. The case has a slot for a pulse oximeter so was wondering if it’s worth getting one or if it’s a waste as every hospital or GP will have their own? Also if it is worth getting one which one would you recommend that is sufficient for use in a clinical setting?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve just bought my stethoscope for clinical school and got the cardio pod case to store it in. The case has a slot for a pulse oximeter so was wondering if it’s worth getting one or if it’s a waste as every hospital or GP will have their own? Also if it is worth getting one which one would you recommend that is sufficient for use in a clinical setting?

Thanks in advance :smile:

You don’t need to buy a pulse ox!
You shouldn't need one but they are handy to have and are relatively inexpensive these days. Braun do one that is just under £20 that we use at the practice
I have never used my own pulse oximeter in a professional environment because they’re always available in abundance at work.

I have one at home, but realistically I’ve never really needed it there either.
Reply 4
Original post by RosaPonselle
You shouldn't need one but they are handy to have and are relatively inexpensive these days. Braun do one that is just under £20 that we use at the practice

But £20 as a student for something they will never need is unnecessary. All clinical areas will have them and it’s not something they will need to practice for osces etc
call it an added extra. if you have parents/grandparents that are buying you things for Xmas :biggrin: then this isn't the worst thing to get. and it is handy to have at home. there's been a few occasions especially since COVID where I have people over and have stuck it on. there's no need to get a lot of equipment of course these days but I still have the ophthalmoscope/otoscope set that was a Xmas gift from my grandparents and it's seen me through nearly 30 years and arguably that's much less useful!
Reply 6
I'd recommend it. Even if it's just so that if you get unwell and need a phone consultation, you can handover your obs. £10 on amazon, a cheap one is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending