The Student Room Group

When did you discover what you wanted to study at uni/career path?

As title says, when did you know what you wanted to study at university or ''the right career''. I often get criticised for how late I left it, and my parents were getting upset when I told them I didn't know what I wanted to be/study. For me it was at the end of year 10 when I got my first results for my modular exams, most of the good grades were skewed towards the sciences/maths and I always loved studying them, did some research and when I read around medicine the science around it was mesmerizing.

Now you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I still haven't to be honest.
End of Year 10 isn't late at all.

But it's probably around now for me - beginning of Year 12, but I have had a pretty good idea for a long time
Still not sure what the right career is but I realised that I was going to do a Music degree in Year 11. It wasn't so much a decision, just recognition of a fact that had somehow mysteriously come into being at some unknown point :musicus:
Reply 4
Still not 100% sure on what I want to do (probably teaching) but I decided on my uni degree in year 12 so you didn't leave it late at all!
Reply 5
When I started going to work.
Need to be SELF-EMPLOYED.
Uni - I was looking at the Classics course in the Sheffield prospectus, which listed courses alphabetically. Biomedical Science was on the opposite page. I glanced at it, realised it looked right up my street and changed my application.

Career - I Googled something along the lines of 'biology careers where you never have to set foot in a laboratory', and found a page about medical writing.
Reply 7
Original post by AtomicMan
I often get criticised for how late I left it....

...For me it was at the end of year 10

Your parents must be a bit heavy going, maybe you should just relax and see what happens.

I'm 25 and I'll let you know what my career ambition is in five or ten years.
Reply 8
After I'd applied for French and Italian through UCAS I decided I wanted to study French and Arabic instead. Luckily Exeter allowed me to change course and defer my entry :smile:

I don't know what I want to be exactly. I just know I don't want to stay in England. Or if I do then I demand to be surround by internationals.
April 17th 2009.

(No, this isn't sarcastic - I can pin it to one date.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Your parents were angry at you because you decided at year 10? Harsh!
I think I'm just about getting there now, half way through year 12, although I am repeating the whole year again so I've had an extra year.
After i saw legally blonde.
That is no joke.
Reply 12
Original post by TheSownRose
April 17th 2009.

(No, this is sarcastic - I can pin it to one date.)

Just saw this after I posted but that was the exact date of my 16th birthday :P
April this year.
Original post by Liam 09
Just saw this after I posted but that was the exact date of my 16th birthday :P

Small world...
I still haven't decided. I have to choose between becoming an actuary, becoming a maths professsor, and going into investment banking.
I suppose it was in the summer after my I received my Higher results. It made me think that I should go for it :smile:
Reply 17
At the start of year 11.
I still have no idea, and I'm doing a degree. Lol.
Reply 19
For uni, I chose the subject that I appeared to have the highest aptitude for, then with my AS grades decided not to apply for that and applied for the only one I got an A in.

Career path I'm not sure, maybe law or finance as the family are well connected in those fields. It depends how I am at the end of university - if I feel I've found the one and want to settle down I'll try and find a regular enough job, if the careers above don't work I might join the civil service or some sort of consultancy.

If I still feel a bit loose and have nothing to settle down for, I might go and live in Israel or Italy and have some fun there for a bit (no idea where the money would come from though).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending