The Student Room Group

"Am I too old?" - the story of a 40-something student

As my farewell to The Student Room after 4 years of being an extra-mature student, I wanted to share my story for everyone who asks "am I too old?" or "is it too late to change career?"

If you want to, and can afford to, then do it! We only have one life, so live your best one.

I'm 45 and have spent the last 4 years studying full-time for a BEng and an MSc. I got a 1st for my degree and barring any dissertation disasters, I should get a Distinction for my Masters. This was part of a complete career change for me, aiming to get into an industry I had no prior experience of and with a heavy emphasis on maths, a subject I used to intensely dislike and thought I was 'bad' at. Unfortunately, as recently as the 1990s, women were not encouraged into construction-related professions, so at that time I chose another path. I wish I had made the change years ago, but at least I have done it now when I still have 20+ years of work ahead before retirement.

I already have 2 degrees and a PGDip so I wasn't entitled to any funding for my undergraduate degree. I paid for it by selling my home and buying somewhere cheaper. Drastic? Maybe, but it will pay off in the long run and I am not leaving uni saddled with huge debts. I worked part-time throughout my studies.

Studying in your 40s is hard. My memory used to be photographic, but now I sometimes wonder where I left it (back in the 2000s, I think). Processing and understanding takes longer than it used to, and learning new tech takes more time and frustration than I would like it to. At times I have cried and the stress levels have rocketed, especially when multiple assignments have been due at the same time. So if you are returning to studying at a more 'advanced age' - allow yourself more time for everything. This means that there will be times when you see little of your friends and family, and times that you will be studying 7 days a week.

Also, going from full-time to part-time income really sucks. Having to think carefully about what I really need to buy has actually been helpful - I was not much of a consumer to begin with, but I have really learned what matters to me (cake!) and discovered some amazing charity shop finds. However, when unexpected expenses come up or friends plan something you cannot afford to do, it's hard.

I was the only very mature student on my course and didn't really make 'friends' on my course as such (as in, seeing them outside of the uni setting) because I barely had time to see the poor neglected friends I already have! But I really enjoyed chatting to my coursemates and learned a lot about what it is to be a young adult in the current times (and a lot of slang which I had to surreptitiously look up in urban dictionary - or just ask for a translation!) They also helped me a lot with long forgotten maths. I never felt like I didn't fit in after the first few weeks of entirely self-inflicted self consciousness about my age. My coursemates respected the fact that I say exactly what I think, I could talk to the lecturers as equals and wasn't afraid to challenge, and I was often seen as a source of 'wisdom' (and suspect I might have disappointed a few people who expect older people to know better...)

My Masters experience has not been so positive. I have spent most of the last year studying alone, other than a few precious weeks last October, and have not had the chance to get to know or learn from my coursemates or lecturers. I have found it boring, isolating, and frankly quite miserable. This is not an issue with the uni who I think have done their very best to try to adapt, but for me learning is a shared rather than a solo experience. I sympathise with everyone else who has been in this position this year. Do I regret it? Slightly, but it has helped me to get a job, so overall it is worthwhile.

TSR has helped me to stay sane and feel part of a community, and to know I am not alone in these feelings (with a big credit here to @the bear's daily pun thread and the regular punners).

I'm currently writing my Masters dissertation and in September, I am back to full-time work. I've found employers to be very interested in my story and despite my fears of being 'too old' I've secured a place on a graduate scheme with a large, multi-national, well-respected employer in my chosen field which I cannot wait to start.

So, it can be done. You are not too old and it is not too late. But don't dither about it for years like I did. My only regret is not doing this years ago. If you know what you want, go for it - and good luck!
Original post by FV75
As my farewell to The Student Room after 4 years of being an extra-mature student, I wanted to share my story for everyone who asks "am I too old?" or "is it too late to change career?"

If you want to, and can afford to, then do it! We only have one life, so live your best one.

I'm 45 and have spent the last 4 years studying full-time for a BEng and an MSc. I got a 1st for my degree and barring any dissertation disasters, I should get a Distinction for my Masters. This was part of a complete career change for me, aiming to get into an industry I had no prior experience of and with a heavy emphasis on maths, a subject I used to intensely dislike and thought I was 'bad' at. Unfortunately, as recently as the 1990s, women were not encouraged into construction-related professions, so at that time I chose another path. I wish I had made the change years ago, but at least I have done it now when I still have 20+ years of work ahead before retirement.

I already have 2 degrees and a PGDip so I wasn't entitled to any funding for my undergraduate degree. I paid for it by selling my home and buying somewhere cheaper. Drastic? Maybe, but it will pay off in the long run and I am not leaving uni saddled with huge debts. I worked part-time throughout my studies.

Studying in your 40s is hard. My memory used to be photographic, but now I sometimes wonder where I left it (back in the 2000s, I think). Processing and understanding takes longer than it used to, and learning new tech takes more time and frustration than I would like it to. At times I have cried and the stress levels have rocketed, especially when multiple assignments have been due at the same time. So if you are returning to studying at a more 'advanced age' - allow yourself more time for everything. This means that there will be times when you see little of your friends and family, and times that you will be studying 7 days a week.

Also, going from full-time to part-time income really sucks. Having to think carefully about what I really need to buy has actually been helpful - I was not much of a consumer to begin with, but I have really learned what matters to me (cake!) and discovered some amazing charity shop finds. However, when unexpected expenses come up or friends plan something you cannot afford to do, it's hard.

I was the only very mature student on my course and didn't really make 'friends' on my course as such (as in, seeing them outside of the uni setting) because I barely had time to see the poor neglected friends I already have! But I really enjoyed chatting to my coursemates and learned a lot about what it is to be a young adult in the current times (and a lot of slang which I had to surreptitiously look up in urban dictionary - or just ask for a translation!) They also helped me a lot with long forgotten maths. I never felt like I didn't fit in after the first few weeks of entirely self-inflicted self consciousness about my age. My coursemates respected the fact that I say exactly what I think, I could talk to the lecturers as equals and wasn't afraid to challenge, and I was often seen as a source of 'wisdom' (and suspect I might have disappointed a few people who expect older people to know better...)

My Masters experience has not been so positive. I have spent most of the last year studying alone, other than a few precious weeks last October, and have not had the chance to get to know or learn from my coursemates or lecturers. I have found it boring, isolating, and frankly quite miserable. This is not an issue with the uni who I think have done their very best to try to adapt, but for me learning is a shared rather than a solo experience. I sympathise with everyone else who has been in this position this year. Do I regret it? Slightly, but it has helped me to get a job, so overall it is worthwhile.

TSR has helped me to stay sane and feel part of a community, and to know I am not alone in these feelings (with a big credit here to @the bear's daily pun thread and the regular punners).

I'm currently writing my Masters dissertation and in September, I am back to full-time work. I've found employers to be very interested in my story and despite my fears of being 'too old' I've secured a place on a graduate scheme with a large, multi-national, well-respected employer in my chosen field which I cannot wait to start.

So, it can be done. You are not too old and it is not too late. But don't dither about it for years like I did. My only regret is not doing this years ago. If you know what you want, go for it - and good luck!

that was a very inspiring post. i am so glad that your hard work has paid off.
we shall miss you at the House of Pun :cry:

all the best Your Ladyship :hugs:

:bear:
Original post by FV75

Cake? It better be red velvet cake!

Although I'm not yet at uni, or even in year 13, I find this quite inspirational and reassuring. I'm planning on doing a masters after my undergrad so I'll probably understand what you've been through at some point in my life. Do you have any other tips for students, undergrad and post-grad?
I have the same as a mature student, get so many WhatsApp from other students as they know I’ll know the answers (which are generally ones you can google on our university site or check the handbook!

I did make friends on my course (an a bit older than you) but my cohort were all grads anyway doing a 2 year graduate degree so 23+ anyway. Friends enough to Mail and chat regularly even if I don’t attend nights out.

I also worked part time so studied weekends as well.

I found the writing academically the hardest, after years in business writing a different way. I can’t write in a poncy way, it’s all straightforward writing for me.

But all done now and also considering a masters next. I still prefer my old career though, this second degree was just for interest mostly.
Congrats and good luck in your future career!

As regards "I wish I'd done this years ago", I think its a very easy trap for us mature students to fall into, and its a thought I entertained once I'd started my course. But the more I think about it the more I realise that doing it sooner wouldn't have worked as well. I was totally ready to do it at the time I did - mentally, financially, family situation etc. I had done all my research and prep. And a whole bunch of "coincidences" happened in a very short space of time. I 100% believe I was meant to do the course I am doing at the time I am doing it.

To paraphrase Gandalf the Grey. "A mature student is never early or late, they arrive exactly when they are meant to"
This was inspiring to read, best of luck with your next steps :smile:
Original post by FV75

What an absolutely fantastic post. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your pending Masters and graduate position.

I'll bookmark this one for all the 22-year-olds who start "Am I too old?" threads :smile:
Reply 7
I have just finished my 1st year at uni I am 50 with a poor short term memory and have spent the last year with others working online. I needed a degree just for all the software I had to learn. No matter about your age and ability if you want to be at uni don't let them get in the way. You are worth it
Reply 8
Some great posts on here. Having left school during some tumultuous times in the early 80s, I found myself penniless and needing the first job I could find. My career path went from there, and although it paid the bills and I was quite ‘successful’..I always lamented a lost opportunity to become a graduate, particularly as it’s now pretty much expected, compared to 35 years ago! I graduated with first class honours in law, nearly 10 years ago…then had two children, one who spent a lot of time in and out of hospital…and that put paid to the next stage of my intended journey. Now here I am again, in a more settled place…contemplating doing the new SQE for solicitor qualification. Much more accessible than the old LPC, but still begs the question on employability for qualifying experience purposes…so my confidence isn’t quite there yet 🙂 As a female, it helps that I’m a ‘young’ 50+….no saga holidays or blue rinse yet 😉
Good luck with your career OP, and thank you for your inspirational post.
Reply 9
Really inspirational post, thank you. I'm also contemplating new beginnings - I did work as an engineer for 10 years but being a mother of 4 with a forces husband made me move to education as fitting better with lone parent responsibilities. Other half left me a month before he retired for his (it turns out) mistress for 14 years and I'm left at 57 with a (nearly) clean sheet to plan on. Now the initial gut punch of betrayal is over it's scary yet exciting.

Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by FV75

I'm glad you mentioned this as it's something i think about but have never really seen any other mature students mention. I'm nearing 30 and am starting to feel a little 'past my prime' when it comes to my memory so it's good to hear it's still possible to keep up. I will have done more uni level work than those younger so hopefully that experience will be beneficial as not starting from scratch to learn the ropes. I'm sure there will be lots of other mature students in the same boat too and many before me have been so successful and done well which is encouraging.
Original post by mm13
‘young’ 50+….no saga holidays or blue rinse yet 😉

I laughed out loud, I'm sure some kind of marketing campaign could be based on this.
Original post by FV75

Congrats.... and moral of the story: never give up on your dreams!
Original post by Compost
Really inspirational post, thank you. I'm also contemplating new beginnings - I did work as an engineer for 10 years but being a mother of 4 with a forces husband made me move to education as fitting better with lone parent responsibilities. Other half left me a month before he retired for his (it turns out) mistress for 14 years and I'm left at 57 with a (nearly) clean sheet to plan on. Now the initial gut punch of betrayal is over it's scary yet exciting.

Good luck.

Oh Compost...I'm so sorry to hear of that. :hugs: I can't even begin to imagine how that must have been to deal with and process.
Original post by FV75

What a super post - full of insights. I don't think that anyone could doubt your commitment to your chosen study path, and it's clearly paid off. Congratulations!
So encouraging to read all the success stories (finished with school or still on their way!) and it makes me feel more confident as I start Year 1 in 8 weeks....I turned 55 a week ago. I was easily the oldest in the access course I did this past year - but being all online it was easier, I think, to forget the age difference and just get on with it. At least it was to me -- the combination of dyed hair, anime teams backgrounds (so they couldn't see I still don't know how to clean house!) and obscure 80s references probably made me odd AND old to them. ;-)

I have fibromyalgia so I worried a bit about memory being an issue (both age and illness related) and I have to say that by staying on top of things from Day 1 and making excessive notes, I didn't have as much trouble as I thought I might. Granted, I'm doing arts and not maths/sciences, but that doesn't mean I still don't have to know how to analyse, retain information, and express myself well.

Original post by HellomynameisNev
As regards "I wish I'd done this years ago", I think its a very easy trap for us mature students to fall into, and its a thought I entertained once I'd started my course. But the more I think about it the more I realise that doing it sooner wouldn't have worked as well.

I agree with this 1000%. I had been out of the workforce for nearly 20 years raising children, and in the midst of that we moved US ->UK. So when I thought I should try to go back to work and feel useful again, I had no local experience nor any references that really spoke to my abilities. And to be honest, I had no interest in going back to work in some generic office situation (not that I could even land even a single interview. I even got rejected from Lidl.) Then when my son was looking at university, I discovered that I qualified for financial assistance to go to uni - and a year later discovered the Access course I did this past year. I am finally at a point where not only do I finally know what I want to do when I grow up - I'm getting the chance to do it. It's a bit daunting (and like Compost newly single with all that entails after 22 years of marriage) and I sometimes worry if I'm really up to it, but I feel like things just fell together at the right time, and feel so much younger than my birth certificate claims. I'm glad to see here how not alone I am in all of this.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Awesome post.
Thanks for sharing.
Reply 17
54 male, just been offered a BA Animation through clearing today!
Course combines many of my creative interests.
Visited and loved the place, location and general atmosphere. Not considered other places. Have included a placement year as part of the plan (hopefully study abroad).
If I get an interesting job/opportunities/connections at the end of it that would be a great bonus but I'm not banking on it... in some ways it's an indulgence and for my conscience to say "I finally gave it a proper go" :smile:

My circumstances are a bit unusual in that I'm eligible for a loan for most of it having only done one year of a Humanities degree previously many years ago... Wondering if it's better to take loan or pay off without the interest accumulating?

I am anxious that majority of students will be 18-20 years old but think I can get over that...
Alternative(?) Save my money, continue my increasingly boring library job and do evening courses/self-study based on subjects on the curriculum, develop website and focus on promotion and making connections in the industry direct?
So, basically invest the money I would have spent on the course into immediate results?
Maybe do both, study and work hard to make long term industry connections to produce some solid work.

Maybe I'm over thinking it?

There have already been a few "coincidences" which seem to be leading me to do the course... (if you believe in such things)

Plan to give it 24hours an then probably accept.

Any help, advice would be really appreciated. Am I completely crazy? :smile:

Kind Regards, Mike
Original post by MIKON

My circumstances are a bit unusual in that I'm eligible for a loan for most of it having only done one year of a Humanities degree previously many years ago... Wondering if it's better to take loan or pay off without the interest accumulating?

Regarding student loans, don't think of it as debt, think of it as a tax on future earnings. You pay 9% of what you earn over the earnings threshold (currently ~28k) back every month. If your income is below that, or you're out of work then you pay nothing. Once you're retired, that's it, the debt gets wiped out. At your age, you will have to do VERY well in your future career before you even come close to paying off your student loan before you retire.

I'm 50, a newly qualified Band 5 radiographer in the NHS with £50k+ of student load debt. Doesn't bother me in the slightest as I'm currently paying back pennies every month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending