The Student Room Group

C in my mock Year 12

I am doing biology,chemistry & sociology in my mock i scraped a c in chemistry and sociology & biology i got a D.

Please can someone advise should i do Btec applied science and leave Alevel.
I am finding Alevel really difficult.
Reply 1
My love alevels are going to be difficult and it’s okay to be struggling! Honestly achieving CDD in year 12 isn’t a bad starting point at all and you will have time to improve, with patience and hard work. If you feel as though it’s too much pressure then it’s alright to choose a different path, but make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. Think about your next steps, if you can achieve them with BTEC applied science and do what feels right. You’ve got plenty of time to make that decision. Good Luck x
Reply 2
Thankyou so much for your reaponse, im just really unsure what i want to do.
I really dont want to go down to do Btec as i think alevel will open more career path for me.
I am working really hard and giving my 100% but im finding it too hard and not sure if the second year will be more difficult.

I am the first person in my family to go uni so really unsure what to do as most of my freinds are doing btec.

Have you done alevel?
Reply 3
Original post by sam_sfj
My love alevels are going to be difficult and it’s okay to be struggling! Honestly achieving CDD in year 12 isn’t a bad starting point at all and you will have time to improve, with patience and hard work. If you feel as though it’s too much pressure then it’s alright to choose a different path, but make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. Think about your next steps, if you can achieve them with BTEC applied science and do what feels right. You’ve got plenty of time to make that decision. Good Luck x

Please seemy response below
Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by aaminah789
I really dont want to go down to do Btec as i think alevel will open more career path for me.
I am working really hard and giving my 100% but im finding it too hard and not sure if the second year will be more difficult.

I am the first person in my family to go uni so really unsure what to do as most of my freinds are doing btec.

Have you done alevel?

Hi,
I’m in year 13 now actually! I ended up dropping out of school the first time i started year 12 with the intention of going for BTEC health and social care - but ultimately i decided i’d be better off trying alevels again and honestly didnt regret it at all. It is difficult, and my grades aren’t always where i want them to be but I do agree that it opens up a lot of options.
That being said depending on what you want to do at uni BTECS can be equally as useful and shouldn’t be dismissed as an option!
I would encourage you to stick with a-levels because it sounds like that’s what you want to do - and you sound very determined.
Reply 5
Original post by sam_sfj

Have you done alevel?

Hi,
I’m in year 13 now actually! I ended up dropping out of school the first time i started year 12 with the intention of going for BTEC health and social care - but ultimately i decided i’d be better off trying alevels again and honestly didnt regret it at all. It is difficult, and my grades aren’t always where i want them to be but I do agree that it opens up a lot of options.
That being said depending on what you want to do at uni BTECS can be equally as useful and shouldn’t be dismissed as an option!
I would encourage you to stick with a-levels because it sounds like that’s what you want to do - and you sound very determined.

If you dont mind me asking what subjects have you taken? What career path you would like dlgo into.

I dont mind going in any of the below career path as i did volantry work in the below during the summer holidays and i really enjoyed it
Pharmacy
Audiology
Optometry
But i need to work hard to get the grades
Reply 6
Hi,

If you dont mind me asking what subjects have you taken? What career path you would like dlgo into.

I dont mind going in any of the below career path as i did volantry work in the below during the summer holidays and i really enjoyed it
Pharmacy
Audiology
Optometry
But i need to work hard to get the grades
I take Biology Sociology and English Literature and am applying for Paramedic Science starting in 2024 - honestly the courses you’re applying for sound great and please keep in mind that even if you don’t necessarily get the grades you need there will def be options through clearing / doing a foundation year. I have plenty of friends who didn’t get the grades they needed and are still doing fantastically at university now.
I am doing biology,chemistry & sociology in my mock i scraped a c in chemistry and sociology & biology i got a D.

i got the same grades

Hello there, im a current year 13 doing maths, bio and chem and im a veterinary medicine applicant.
In my first y12 mock, i got a big fat U in chem and a D in bio, then at the end of y12 i got a D in chem and a C in bio. I relised that if i did want to apply for my dream course, i needed to pull myself together. I cried everyday in y12, and desperatly searched the internet for some magical fix to my problems. Over the summer, i reflected on y12, what had i done wrong ? What did i need to do differently for y13 ? I very quickly discovered i'd been using the wrong technique, for a levels its all about doing the max amouint of questions you can get your hands on, its not like gcse where you can just scan over stuff without to much effort and be fine. The jump from y11 to y12 is huge, i struggled hard because i had gotten a 6 in gcse, so my foundations were a bit shaky. Some of my teachers had told me during y12 to just do btec applied science, but i was convinced i could do this. So i refocused, found a great revision technique, and fixed my mindest. Now im getting A/A*'s in the sciences and im top of my class :smile:

my go to method to revising chem is to watch an allery chemistry video on yt, go through the relevent chemrevise notes and grind the questions on physics and maths tutor, dont be afraid to use the mark scheme to aid your answers !! Watch lots of didffernet videos to grasp concepts, and ask teachers for as much support. I really like chem now in y13, i think in y12 it can seem like a lot and very complex, but by slowly working through the content you'll come to enjoy the subject (organics is fun trust me), same for bio !!

message me for anything else :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest