The Student Room Group

Interest or ability?

I'm debating whether I should study maths or chemistry at uni. I find that I enjoy maths more, but I've always been better at chemistry. I've been further discouraged from studying maths by spending a few weeks attempting some MAT papers and performing quite poorly. If i apply to chemistry I'd probably have a better shot at getting into a prestigious uni, but I'm debating whether studying maths at a less prestigious uni would be a better idea. Any advice?
Reply 1
follow your instincs
bump
Reply 3
what(Original post by quickquestion805) bump
Reply 4
Original post by quickquestion805
bump

I can see your username indicates you like asking quick questions, but dont expect quick answers. Bumping a thread after 60 minutes is one way to annoy any person who is willing/able to comment.

To your question with one of my own, why go to uni? If its just for a degree to get on a grad scheme, the uni name wont matter and you should do the subject that enables you to get the highest marks. Subjects do get a lot harder after A levels, so you will still need some passion for either as you progress.

Greg
I'm debating whether I should study maths or chemistry at uni. I find that I enjoy maths more, but I've always been better at chemistry. I've been further discouraged from studying maths by spending a few weeks attempting some MAT papers and performing quite poorly. If i apply to chemistry I'd probably have a better shot at getting into a prestigious uni, but I'm debating whether studying maths at a less prestigious uni would be a better idea. Any advice?

Forget the prestigious go where you will be happy and will do well. Most unis do not require MAT or STEP. There is half a dozen or so that do.

What do you see yourself doing for the rest of your life, it it Chemistry related take Chemistry. If it is Maths related take that.
Any degree is going to require a lot of self motivation and interest.

Is there a reason that you’re restricting yourself to 2 subjects you’re studying at A level? Have you looked into other subjects that are available at university level that aren’t common at A level like engineering, environmental or earth science, life sciences or things like actuarial science and OR?
Original post by PQ
Any degree is going to require a lot of self motivation and interest.

Is there a reason that you’re restricting yourself to 2 subjects you’re studying at A level? Have you looked into other subjects that are available at university level that aren’t common at A level like engineering, environmental or earth science, life sciences or things like actuarial science and OR?

I'm studying Further maths along with those. I've considered most relevant courses, and Maths and Chemistry seem to have the fewest downsides. For instance, I have an interest in CS, but the sheer competition for most of unis I'm apply to makes it a little risky. Ultimately, it comes down to a choice between the degree or the unis.
I'm studying Further maths along with those. I've considered most relevant courses, and Maths and Chemistry seem to have the fewest downsides. For instance, I have an interest in CS, but the sheer competition for most of unis I'm apply to makes it a little risky. Ultimately, it comes down to a choice between the degree or the unis.

Dont believe Maths isnt hugely competitive in top universities. The last figure I saw showed 1 in 12 got offers from Imperial. A girl in my sons class got A*A*A*A* but got rejected in Cambridge because she didnt meet the highest grade in STEP

Do you have any thoughts about what you'd like to use your degree for?

It sounds like you're just looking for a shiny certificate and putting off making decisions for 3+ years which isn't the best motivation or method to finding a degree you'll thrive in.

A first in a subject you enjoy with time to engage and thrive in extra curricular activities and work beyond your degree will do you far more favours in your future career than a "prestigious" name against a degree you scraped through and were miserable and didn't get any other experiences while studying.
Original post by swanseajack1
Dont believe Maths isnt hugely competitive in top universities. The last figure I saw showed 1 in 12 got offers from Imperial. A girl in my sons class got A*A*A*A* but got rejected in Cambridge because she didnt meet the highest grade in STEP

The reality is outside 1/2 dozen or so universities offer rates are very high for all subjects. If you take the risk of applying to Oxbridge, top London universities, St Andrews and Durham you run the risk of ending up with no offers. Outside of that most get offers including Computer Science. For this reason it is inadvisable to have for more than 3 of your choices from that group. As long as you meet the entry requirements you are likely to get offers elsewhere
Hi there,

Choosing a uni course takes a lot of thought and can be tricky. I understand you're having trouble deciding between what you perform well in and what you enjoy more.

This is a difficult scenario but there are some things you should consider. Have you got any idea of what you might like to do after university? Not everyone knows this to begin but if you have an idea of a career path it could sway you into doing a relevant degree.

Are you set on choosing between the two? There are lots of related courses which you may enjoy and be able to utilise your skills.

Completing a degree is hard work. It takes a lot of time and dedication. I understand you are good at chemistry but this doesn't translate into university if it's not what you want to do. If you don't enjoy or have an interest in your degree then it may be hard to find the motivation to perform at your best while doing it.

My advice is to talk to careers advisors at school (if you have these) or to have a think about why you want the degree. Where do your interests lie and do you believe you can put the work in to perform like you want.

Good luck with everything,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Hi!

If you are struggling to decide you may want to look into courses like Natural Sciences or joint degrees (e.g. Chemistry with Maths). These will allow you to study a degree with modules from both subject areas which may help balance out things you enjoy and are good at!

In terms of the MAT - lots of unis don't require it, so don't worry too much about that. I struggled when studying for the MAT but have really enjoyed my maths degree so don't let it deter you!

I hope this helps :smile:
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Not Maths and Chemistry, but my eldest daughter didn't really know what she wanted to study, where she wanted to study or what career path to follow

We went to lots of Uni Open Days. We talked to lots of tutors and students about all sorts of subjects. It really helped explore what is out there.

The Unis sort of chose themselves, some felt great others not so much. The subject choice evolved over time and eventually settled itself too really - my only rule was, because career choice still isn't clear, was that more adaptable the course or Uni the better.

It can be hard to see past what you know (like school, and maths or chemistry) FWIW my talent was physics but it never occurred to me to do that at Uni. I did Materials, Engineering and Design, discovered a passion for corrosion and material failure and went from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending