The Student Room Group

Leaving Oxford for Royal Holloway UoL

Hey guys
I am currently a psych student at Oxford and i'm finding the course there to be quite...intense to say the very least! Writing over 25 essays in 8 weeks aside from the statistics work really does kill!
Anyway, I found that my workload and topics made me dislike psychology A LOT and if you can give me any insight into your opinions then that would be great, do any of you guys regret going to oxford? or know people that regret it? etc...
thanks!
Reply 1
You're leaving Oxford for RHUL? RHUL is good but... hello?
Reply 2
The workload may be tough, but it's only for a couple of years and the payoff will be immense.
You'll notice there's another thread on here called 'Dropping out of Oxford'. I know people who have left Oxford to go to other places and was indeed given the option myself as a formality when I got ill.

Why RHUL specifically? Do you have a strong preference for the course there? Was it your insurance or something?

Have you spoken to your tutors about how you're feeling? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You'll notice there's another thread on here called 'Dropping out of Oxford'. I know people who have left Oxford to go to other places and was indeed given the option myself as a formality when I got ill.

Why RHUL specifically? Do you have a strong preference for the course there? Was it your insurance or something?

Have you spoken to your tutors about how you're feeling? :smile:

It's the workload mainly, I'm just finding it difficult to cope with really, and i havent even done prelims! With about 2 essays and stats sheets to do each week on top of everything else it's getting a bit too much.
I've literally got no time to go out, etc....
Also, i find that im writing my essays just for the sake of getting them in on time rather than learning and enjoying it (which is why i came to uni!).
2 of my tutors said maybe going to a uni which has longer terms and a less heavy workload may be better, the other said that a lot of students feel this way.
I have no idea what to do, i'm really pulled by the fact that a lot of the course at RHUL is coursework based which will mean i have less pressure on me and also because they teach through a longer amount of lectures (20 hours per topic as opposed to about 12).
They also have a good scholarship scheme etc....

the fact is, i worked myself to the MAX for A2 just to get the grades I did A*A*AAb and here that doesnt seem to cut it, at all. in fact, im working so much that its counterproductive now. So im just wondering whether going to a uni which has more lecture time, less of a workload, and assessment through a mix of coursework is better?

I know employers will prefer an oxford degree but i feel im working myself ill.....
:s-smilie::confused::s-smilie::frown:
Reply 5
If you're THAT unhappy at Oxford then by all means leave. But, really, you should stick it out. It's only a few years and I think you'll get used to it with time.
Reply 6

Depends what you want out of the degree I suppose. My cousin did psych at Oxford and ended up the second best in her entire academic year, she's now in Investment Banking.
Original post by texastornado
Also, i find that im writing my essays just for the sake of getting them in on time rather than learning and enjoying it (which is why i came to uni!).

I know employers will prefer an oxford degree but i feel im working myself ill.....

I always wrote essays just for the sake of it. I only did two good pieces of work as far as I'm concerned during my time at Ox: one essay in first year and my dissertation! I think lots of people just jump through hoops to get things done and don't get to spend the time they'd like on a topic.

That said, I actually enjoyed most of the course content from second year onwards (first year wasn't my thing at all) and liked the whole essay writing thing, which made all the difference for me. If you genuinely think you'd like RHUL better and tutors are encouraging you to explore other options, there'd be no harm in sending them an e-mail to see if you could transfer or something if you really want to.

No university is worth compromising your health for :nah:
Reply 8

Do you know what you want to do after you graduate? If you want to go into psychology then I've been told by my friend (who's doing Psychology and Philosophy) that some careers are massively competitive and so you need to think about what is going to give you the best chance of ending up where you want to be. A 2.2 from Oxford might not be best move at the end of the day.

At the end of the day, don't make yourself ill - it's not worth it. But the first term is always difficult and you may find that things get better. Psychology has Mods at the end of Hilary, which might make the first year more intense. Give yourself a chance, but don't think you have to stay here if it's making you unhappy.
Reply 9
Original post by Mook
Do you know what you want to do after you graduate? If you want to go into psychology then I've been told by my friend (who's doing Psychology and Philosophy) that some careers are massively competitive and so you need to think about what is going to give you the best chance of ending up where you want to be. A 2.2 from Oxford might not be best move at the end of the day.

At the end of the day, don't make yourself ill - it's not worth it. But the first term is always difficult and you may find that things get better. Psychology has Mods at the end of Hilary, which might make the first year more intense. Give yourself a chance, but don't think you have to stay here if it's making you unhappy.

I want to go onto Media/marketing so i'd study further at Postgrad level as it has become VERY difficult to get a job/internship regardless of what uni you go to.
I m just wondering if its worth staying for, for the job prospects :s
I know for banking etc....oxbridge is a MUST have....my career choice...not so sure as they tend to like those with work exp....it's all very confusing!
I'm no expert in media or marketing but I doubt an Oxford degree would give you a very significant edge in either. I don't think they're like banking or law in that respect :nah:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

No university is worth compromising your health for :nah:

I completely agree. It sounds like you need to do something about this urgently.
There should be plenty of people in the university who can help with study skills and time management to rationalise your workload though, and remember you've only been there for one term. Sometimes things are the toughest when you're just beginning. Also from what you said about your A levels it sounds like you might be working too hard: I know there are some people who always think that unless they complete everything to the maximum they haven't achieved anything.

However at the end of the day if it's upsetting you so much, it's your life and you should do what's best for you. And if you do decide to leave, see if you can gain any accreditation from your course?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi, I went to RHUL, and I loved it, however, I was rejected by Cambridge. Had I been given the option I would have chosen Cambridge. RHUL was a fab uni, but not that many teaching hours and I didn't feel that during the time I was there I was pushed hard enough, I personally would try and stick it out you may get to RHUL and really regret it and you can't go back to Oxford...
Reply 13
Hey guys
I am currently a psych student at Oxford and i'm finding the course there to be quite...intense to say the very least! Writing over 25 essays in 8 weeks aside from the statistics work really does kill!
Anyway, I found that my workload and topics made me dislike psychology A LOT and if you can give me any insight into your opinions then that would be great, do any of you guys regret going to oxford? or know people that regret it? etc...
thanks!

25 essays? How? :s-smilie: I'm doing the same course and we only did 12, plus one set of short notes questions and the statistics. I reckon it's worth trying to stick out another term to be sure. 8 weeks isn't a lot of time to settle in. Also, the topics look a lot better this term (to me, anyway - wasn't keen on last term's) and you could see how you're feeling when it gets to prelims at easter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending