The Student Room Group

OCR B (Advancing Physics) G491

:angry:

Face sums it all up for me personally. It's so... uninteresting and for some reason the sensing stuff just isn't sinking in. The only bit I enjoy is Materials, and that's pretty much Chemistry anyway. I'll be glad when we get onto the quantum side of things.

Does anyone have any revision tips or sites for this unit? Most of the stuff I see online's for AQA or Edexcel and it just makes me wish I were on a different board. I don't want to use up all of my past papers until I properly understand everything.

Thanks.
Original post by Contrad!ction.
:angry:

Face sums it all up for me personally. It's so... uninteresting and for some reason the sensing stuff just isn't sinking in. The only bit I enjoy is Materials, and that's pretty much Chemistry anyway. I'll be glad when we get onto the quantum side of things.

Does anyone have any revision tips or sites for this unit? Most of the stuff I see online's for AQA or Edexcel and it just makes me wish I were on a different board. I don't want to use up all of my past papers until I properly understand everything.

Thanks.

Pick out relevant bits to do from papers from other boards.
And if it's any consolation, it gets interesting at A2! :smile:
I'll try some of the other relevant stuff but I still can't seem to get my head around how to apply stuff. I'd ask friends but we all got Us in our mock. I'll do something on a past paper, feel fairly confident and get it ridiculously wrong.

Original post by Justbuildingmydam

And if it's any consolation, it gets interesting at A2! :smile:

That's why I'm sticking it out. My friend's on Edexcel, it really annoys me the way he's always on about quarks, photons etc and how he says he'll be doing astrophysics. But still, on A2, I'll get my revenge :biggrin:

Original post by Contrad!ction.
I'll try some of the other relevant stuff but I still can't seem to get my head around how to apply stuff. I'd ask friends but we all got Us in our mock. I'll do something on a past paper, feel fairly confident and get it ridiculously wrong.

That's why I'm sticking it out. My friend's on Edexcel, it really annoys me the way he's always on about quarks, photons etc and how he says he'll be doing astrophysics. But still, on A2, I'll get my revenge :biggrin:

Ah, I know how frustrating that is. But before you try a past paper, get as much practice as you can on the end of topic questions in your textbook.

What is it that you can't get your head around? I did Edexcel for AS (was in a different school) but if you want you can PM me and I'll try to help.

I'm glad you're sticking it out, though. I was going to drop physics last year because I was finding it unbearably dull but I'm really happy I haven't. :biggrin:
Original post by Justbuildingmydam
Ah, I know how frustrating that is. But before you try a past paper, get as much practice as you can on the end of topic questions in your textbook.

What is it that you can't get your head around? I did Edexcel for AS (was in a different school) but if you want you can PM me and I'll try to help.

I'm glad you're sticking it out, though. I was going to drop physics last year because I was finding it unbearably dull but I'm really happy I haven't. :biggrin:

No textbook :tongue:

I'm not actually sure. When I'm in the lessons they'll put questions up on the board and I'll be able to answer them. But put an exam paper in front of me and I'll go for it - and get it wrong. [edit: found this - not looking good] It's usually sensing, we rushed through it.

One of our teachers injured herself and couldn't teach so we got a different one and the two swapped timetables but kept their subjects. In other words, we missed out chunks of signalling and imaging because the new teacher had to re cover things - but we had 3 lessons a week of them instead of 2. We had 2 lessons a week instead of 3 on sensing and much less time and yeah, it's not gone well. /moan

It's frustrating cos Mrs R expects us to do 2 hours a day revision but I have pretty much nothing to revise from. I have formulae but I seem to be applying them to the wrong things.

Edit #2: I just did the Jan '05 past paper (with booze as fuel, apologies in advance for anything I post that makes no sense) and somehow managed an A (73/90) - but lost around 15 marks on section C. I think it was a fluke. :tongue:

I'll do another tomorrow.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
i'm doing ocr b as well and i found it really hard earlier this year, but i found this website recently and it really helped me.

http://sam.davyson.com/as/physics/

also, i invested in the OCR Physics B AS Level textbook by CGP, its a great little book and really helped me understand the topics, particularly sensing. and also, as i struggled on the equations, i practised writing them out from the formula book and trying to rearrange them as we would have to do in the exam.

i revise about 2 hours a day of physics as its a really important subject to me and its so hard to get a grasp of... if you want to do well you gotta commit to it!
Original post by MBall1994
i'm doing ocr b as well and i found it really hard earlier this year, but i found this website recently and it really helped me.

http://sam.davyson.com/as/physics/

also, i invested in the OCR Physics B AS Level textbook by CGP, its a great little book and really helped me understand the topics, particularly sensing. and also, as i struggled on the equations, i practised writing them out from the formula book and trying to rearrange them as we would have to do in the exam.

i revise about 2 hours a day of physics as its a really important subject to me and its so hard to get a grasp of... if you want to do well you gotta commit to it!

Thankoo :smile:

Site looks pretty good, I'm looking at the cards now.
I have the CGP revision book which gives the basics but I can't find any textbooks in shops and I can't order offline =/
I'm trying to revise an average of 2 hours a day but neglected the first week so I'm doing about 3 hours daily.

Done 2nd exam, got an A but struggled with section C. Thankfully it's not in the new spec.

Online. I can't order online.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
physics A2 is the best subject i love it, for unit 4 there's nothin hard in it , and its easy to grasp :wink: . All u have to do is solve alot of pp and you ll get a good grade ,oh and by the way the text book has only 20% of the information that you'll be asked on in the a level exam . And another advice look up some more information about the lesson from the internet , and remember lots of pastpapers:wink:. i hope u benefit from my advice .

ok now can anyone give me advice of how to enjoy studying chemistry for my a levels seriously, when open the book i feel discusted by sum topics like spectoscopy or organic which is the worst :s-smilie: .

thx :smile:
Reply 8
i hate this course. just gonna fail it. got a ****e teacher too, doesn't help!
Original post by F-H
physics A2 is the best subject i love it, for unit 4 there's nothin hard in it , and its easy to grasp :wink: . All u have to do is solve alot of pp and you ll get a good grade ,oh and by the way the text book has only 20% of the information that you'll be asked on in the a level exam . And another advice look up some more information about the lesson from the internet , and remember lots of pastpapers:wink:. i hope u benefit from my advice .

ok now can anyone give me advice of how to enjoy studying chemistry for my a levels seriously, when open the book i feel discusted by sum topics like spectoscopy or organic which is the worst :s-smilie: .

thx :smile:

Italicised is why I'm sticking at it.

What board are you on for Chemistry? Our school uses Boardworks presentations which has stuff on moles, equations, calculations, group 2, halogens, spectroscopy etc and it's definitely helped me. Not much use for Physics though, I don't think it's OCR-based - most of the Chemistry stuff is relevant though.

liammck
i hate this course. just gonna fail it. got a ****e teacher too, doesn't help!

I'm not too happy about one of my Chemistry teachers but I want to do well so I just self-teach bits I'm unsure on from textbooks or Boardworks presentations. Stick at it, I'm sure you'll do fine! :smile:
I'm doing this course too

there is not ONE good resource available to revise from, i've accepted that i'm going to fail the exam

:frown:
Yeh it is a terrible exam board... sorry let me rephrase that SUPER **** exam board.

This unit is one of the worst, but the 2nd unit does get better. (Only mildly)

My advice to you would be
When I took the exam everyone found the time limit extremely hard, so make sure you get a lot of practice doing it in the 1 hour limit. Most people do terrible in the exam, so if you know most of it you can get a decent grade, i think it was 65% or something for an A when I sat it.

but other than that enjoy.
Original post by milanmylove

there is not ONE good resource available to revise from, i've accepted that i'm going to fail the exam

have you tried this one http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Physics_(Advancing_Physics) ,it is quite good and it has most things that you need to know about.
Original post by stars and dots
have you tried this one http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Physics_(Advancing_Physics) ,it is quite good and it has most things that you need to know about.

ah Thanks for that babe , should be helpful

x
Original post by stars and dots

Awesome, I'm working through some of that stuff now. Thanks :biggrin:

Original post by TimesChanging
Yeh it is a terrible exam board... sorry let me rephrase that SUPER **** exam board.

This unit is one of the worst, but the 2nd unit does get better. (Only mildly)

My advice to you would be
When I took the exam everyone found the time limit extremely hard, so make sure you get a lot of practice doing it in the 1 hour limit. Most people do terrible in the exam, so if you know most of it you can get a decent grade, i think it was 65% or something for an A when I sat it.

but other than that enjoy.

Nicely put. I wish my friend would shut up about his superior board and stick his charm quarks up his arse to be honest.

I did a couple of mocks and only got 2/3 of the way through them in the time. Thing is, there's only a couple of past papers available from the new spec, I'm working my way through datewise and the old spec's really generous with its timing. I normally get those done in about an hour; why not the new spec? :angry:

Thank God for averaging it on others' scores. I was stunned by the grade boundaries when I marked my 1st past paper, compared to, say maths, they were really low.

Original post by milanmylove

Make your own then. The link MBall posted earlier ITT seemed really helpful, I've managed to come up with updated revision cards because that site's old spec OCR, but I'm definitely more confident on it now. Don't give up; have a go at past papers and ask questions here on topics you're unsure of.
Reply 15
Hey

anyone got the june 2010 ocr physics b module 1 mark scheme by any chance? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending