The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mm, The Social Network will probably win it. Shame, really, as it's nowhere near the most deserving of the year; Winter's Bone, Inception and True Grit were all better in my opinion, but still, there have been worse winners in recent years.
Reply 6001
The Academy like to be sentimental with best leading actor and actress in particular. They like it when it's somebody's 'time'. I think it's Colin Firth's 'time' to win.
Original post by aja89
The Academy like to be sentimental with best leading actor and actress in particular. They like it when it's somebody's 'time'. I think it's Colin Firth's 'time' to win.

Has Colin Firth ever really been deserving, though? Like, really really deserving, in the Peter O'Toole sense? He's never really been in a stone-cold classic or anything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6003
Original post by Christien
Has Colin Firth ever really been deserving, though? Like, really really deserving, in the Peter O'Toole sense? He's never really been in a stone-cold classic or anything...

Neither was Sandra Bullock, but there was a definite sense of "it's her time" last year.
Getting some films for my train journey to York tomorrow. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and 2001: A Space Odyssey so far. I feel terrible that I've never seen them before :colondollar:

Any other recommendations in the same vein?
Original post by aja89
Neither was Sandra Bullock, but there was a definite sense of "it's her time" last year.

Ahhh, but her performance in The Blind Side was genuinely very good. The only good performance she's ever given in anything, perhaps. Seriously, I can't think of one good movie that she's made. :indiff:
Reply 6006
Ahhh, but her performance in The Blind Side was genuinely very good. The only good performance she's ever given in anything, perhaps. Seriously, I can't think of one good movie that she's made. :indiff:

Haha. Miss Congeniality is one of my favourite films of that type of genre. :h:
Has Colin Firth ever really been deserving, though? Like, really really deserving, in the Peter O'Toole sense? He's never really been in a stone-cold classic or anything.

He's been putting in solidly good performances for a while now, and he was unfortunate he went up against Bridges last year otherwise he'd probably have won.

She was in Crash.

The Proposal :colondollar:
Original post by Phalanges
He's been putting in solidly good performances for a while now, and he was unfortunate he went up against Bridges last year otherwise he'd probably have won.

She was in Crash.

Really? I'm not intimately familiar with his filmography or anything, but the only thing of note he seems to have done in recent years is A Single Man. He's never been a bad actor, but he never struck me as outstanding, or someone undeservedly snubbed by the Academy.

And Crash didn't really do it for me. Struck me as a less engaging version of Magnolia. I didn't hate it or anything, and I certainly didn't think it was less deserving of the Best Picture award than Brokeback Mountain (although it definitely was less deserving than everything else nominated), but I didn't find it to be the amazing, life-affirming masterwork that some people think it is.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Phalanges

Nonsense. Often times what you don't see is far more disturbing than what you do.

I feel you've taken it a bit out of context. I said "typically" a director would show the gore. True, some directors don't show what happened, leaving us to imagine and yes, I've heard the sound of the bones of that scene in 127 Hours is far more gruesome. However, I was also talking a lot about Boyle and how he has made movies that don't flinch away from the subject matters. For example, he gives a full portrait of the lives of heroin abuse and shows us completely the tragedies of their lives (the dead baby) and he also shows us those who live in extreme poverty (Slumdog Millionaire). He doesn't shy away from showing us these things and I was just saying that I imagine he doesn't when portraying a man stuck in a desperate situation where there is only one way out. Maybe I'll be proven wrong when I actually see the scene. Also, it would be impossible to make a film like this without showing the scene.

Anyway, I'm rambling.
Original post by aja89

Ah, most of the time The Academy are a bunch of hacks. They gave the award to Scorseses many years after his best films. He should've won for Taxi Driver or Raging Bull (at least De Niro took home the Best Actor for Raging Bull). Firth did win the Bafta last year, so there's a good chance he'll win it this year.

I also think Fincher is now fully deserving of an Oscar. Nolan will probably make a movie in the next couple of years that will get him an Oscar, but it's probably Fincher's time now.

Edit: A friend also said that Day Lewis should've been Cobb in Inception. I, however, just don't see it. I mean, Day Lewis doesn't strike me as the type to go for a big budget blockbuster like that, albeit one that has a pretty good plot for a summer blockbuster.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6012
Just remembered that Sandra Bullock is in 28 Days too, which I rather enjoy.
Original post by Madjackismad
Ah, most of the time The Academy are a bunch of hacks. They gave the award to Scorseses many years after his best films. He should've won for Taxi Driver or Raging Bull (at least De Niro took home the Best Actor for Raging Bull). Firth did win the Bafta last year, so there's a good chance he'll win it this year.

I also think Fincher is now fully deserving of an Oscar. Nolan will probably make a movie in the next couple of years that will get him an Oscar, but it's probably Fincher's time now.

Edit: A friend also said that Day Lewis should've been Cobb in Inception. I, however, just don't see it. I mean, Day Lewis doesn't strike me as the type to go for a big budget blockbuster like that, albeit one that has a pretty good plot for a summer blockbuster.

*cuts into conversation*

I dunno about The Social Network, though, I mean yeah it was brilliant but it might just be Nolan's time as well... who knows really? I'm yet to see True Grit but in my opinion Jeff Bridges is going to have to do a lot to top his performance in Crazy Heart... has anyone ever won Best Actor two years running before?

I need to convince my uni halls to let me use the common room TV to stay up for the Oscars...

I really can't see Day Lewis in Inception - I've never seen him with the likeable or...something that DiCaprio has...

Has anyone seen Black Swan yet? I have the opportunity to but kind of want to wait for the cinema...
Really? I'm not intimately familiar with his filmography or anything, but the only thing of note he seems to have done in recent years is A Single Man. He's never been a bad actor, but he never struck me as outstanding, or someone undeservedly snubbed by the Academy.

And Crash didn't really do it for me. Struck me as a less engaging version of Magnolia. I didn't hate it or anything, and I certainly didn't think it was less deserving of the Best Picture award than Brokeback Mountain (although it definitely was less deserving than everything else nominated), but I didn't find it to be the amazing, life-affirming masterwork that some people think it is.

He's been bubbling for quite a while. His TV work (Pride and Prejudice over here, Conspiracy in America) was first rate, and he started off with a fairly good film pedigree (English Patient, Shakespeare in Love) before going on to be the big fish in average Brit movies (like Bridget Jones' Diary). Then he exploded with Single Man and looks like he's carried it on with King's Speech. He's never been snubbed (he was just unlucky last year) but I'd say he's ripe for recognition.

I don't think Crash is perhaps as immense as some people suggest, but there's no questioning that it's a good film, and the Bull's in it. :p:

I feel you've taken it a bit out of context. I said "typically" a director would show the gore. True, some directors don't show what happened, leaving us to imagine and yes, I've heard the sound of the bones of that scene in 127 Hours is far more gruesome. However, I was also talking a lot about Boyle and how he has made movies that don't flinch away from the subject matters. For example, he gives a full portrait of the lives of heroin abuse and shows us completely the tragedies of their lives (the dead baby) and he also shows us those who live in extreme poverty (Slumdog Millionaire). He doesn't shy away from showing us these things and I was just saying that I imagine he doesn't when portraying a man stuck in a desperate situation where there is only one way out. Maybe I'll be proven wrong when I actually see the scene. Also, it would be impossible to make a film like this without showing the scene.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

I agree with pretty much all you've written there. I didn't mean to misrepresent you, I just thought your line was a bit strong. :p:

If I was going to cast anyone else in it, it would be Brad Pitt. The main problem I have with Inception is that it desperately needs some charisma in there. Tom Hardy tries, but he's not on the screen long enough. Pitt would offer a very different take, but one that would improve the film I think.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
has anyone ever won Best Actor two years running before?

Spencer Tracy and Tom Hanks are the only ones, to my knowledge.
Nadal1991
x

Welcome to the society and chat thread. :h:
Original post by Norfolkadam
Getting some films for my train journey to York tomorrow. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and 2001: A Space Odyssey so far. I feel terrible that I've never seen them before :colondollar:

Any other recommendations in the same vein?

Hey, good to see you in here. :awesome:

Same vein as in drama and science fiction, or old films?

Drama recommendations would be: 12 Angry Men, Gran Torino and Requiem for a Dream.

Science fiction recommendations: Primer, Event Horizon, Sunshine, Los Cronocrímenes and Moon.

Older science fiction films: The Fifth Element, Gattaca and Blade Runner.
Reply 6018
About to pop Red in the player, hope I like it!
When there's like one join request, I leave it for a while so others may also request to join so I can batch process. But when they don't and I process, you suddenly find another one straight after. Sabotage. :shifty:

mimimimi
X

The Stig
x

Welcome to the society! :h:

We're all nice people. Except maybe Ape.

Original post by aja89
About to pop Red in the player, hope I like it!

Mind zoned out of that film. Either lack of sleep or boredom. Guess you can verify after you've seen it. :tongue:

Latest