The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by Drogue
That is a bit crap, but light grey can work well: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=2419339&postcount=9

Looks like a European MD. Wouldn't risk that pale as an analyst.
Reply 1081
Original post by Nimiza
Looks like a European MD. Wouldn't risk that pale as an analyst.

True. Even then, being 1 button it's a bit out there for banking. Still, I'm tempted to get that recreated as my next suit. Well, that and a classic navy 2 button.
Original post by Drogue
True. Even then, being 1 button it's a bit out there for banking. Still, I'm tempted to get that recreated as my next suit. Well, that and a classic navy 2 button.

Drogue, you seem to be the most knowledgable guy on here, could you address the question i asked above? I noticed you keep mentioning M&S for people on a budget so i went in but all the suits just reminded me of my GP or my high school teachers...there was one I liked which was slim fit so fitted well but it was mid greyish and not 100% wool. Had a nice cut to it though. I don't really fancy getting a navy suit, just don't think they complement my skin tone. (I am Indian) I know this will irk you no end, but I much prefer the suits at Next. Just have more of a modern vibe without being tacky like River Island and Topman. It pains me that I can't splash out on something proper but I must live within my means.
Reply 1083
Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare
Drogue, you seem to be the most knowledgable guy on here, could you address the question i asked above? I noticed you keep mentioning M&S for people on a budget so i went in but all the suits just reminded me of my GP or my high school teachers...there was one I liked which was slim fit so fitted well but it was mid greyish and not 100% wool. Had a nice cut to it though. I don't really fancy getting a navy suit, just don't think they complement my skin tone. (I am Indian) I know this will irk you no end, but I much prefer the suits at Next. Just have more of a modern vibe without being tacky like River Island and Topman. It pains me that I can't splash out on something proper but I must live within my means.

See, I think of Next as just as tacky as River Island and Topman. I can understand not going for M&S styling, though I think you need a similar level of quality, which those 3 just won't provide. For living within your means this is even more important, as suits from the above 3 have a habit of falling apart too quickly. Value for money doesn't mean buying the cheapest, though I entirely understand not splashing out.

One thing I will say on style though, is that suits are a classic thing. Next styling is often derided as "fashion forward", and having a modern vibe can annoy more traditional firms. They also tend to stand out a bit, not in a good way. They do some that aren't styled quite this way, and of course you can have stylish suits in a more modern style, but be very careful about being too out there (ie. having ultra thin lapels, which I see a lot these days in high street fashion shops).

There are plenty of pretty decent suit shops around, though other than M&S and perhaps Debenhams, I would steer clear of the big department stores. TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt may work if you live in London, as in their sales (pretty much permenent for TML) they tend to be pretty good value.

Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare
I wanted to ask you a question about your Calvin Klein comment. How bad is the quality of material? I picked up a mid-grey three button for 100 from 400 in the sale but am not bowled over by it. It is 100% wool though. It makes me look too mature for 19...

One comment in general to everyone in the thread, why is black such a faux pas for suits? I get the funeral/doorman vibe but you wouldn't be wearing a black tie and white shirt like in those situations. I found it incredibly surprising that black suits are such deal-breakers! So if navy/grey charcoal is the way to go, how light a grey can it be? Would light grey give off too much of a river island/topman vibe?

Black is still a faux pas, it just looks awful. As for how light, a mid grey is absolutely fine, though charcoal is safest and you need to be very careful with light greys. The one I posted is a great suit, but a bit risky for any traditional industry (ie. fine for advertising, not for an entry-level banker or consultant), the one Nimiza posted is just awful.

Lastly, while I've no idea about CK quality, looking too mature for 19 is a very good thing. As a banker or consultant you're likely to end up dealing with pretty senior people in firms you advise (if you're in a job that requires a suit), and so seeming mature is a good thing. This doesn't mean dressing like some old man, but appearing like you're older than 19 is not a bad thing.
Original post by tehforum

The shame of posting so much in this thread pales in comparison to the shame of a potential analyst making a chart that sh*t.
Original post by PorcineAviation
The shame of posting so much in this thread pales in comparison to the shame of a potential analyst making a chart that sh*t.

This is hilarious.......... too much Excel in our lives.......:tongue:
Reply 1086
i m surprised this thread has become so big. if you work in S&T all you need are some decent trousers, shoes, nice shirt and a jumper. you dont even need a blazer or tie for that matter.no need to fork out big in your first 3 years.
Reply 1087
Ok..i watched this thread for a bit, but really don't wish to re-read the whole thing just to get an answer (or not as the case may be.)

Now, just wondering what the style for female analysts are in IB (not FO but MO, and not BB). I have a nice navy skirt suit, and a grey (pink pinstipes) pants suit. I have a few stand alone skirts but no matching jackets. I have a handful of white shirts, a green silky one, and a cotton pink one. What do people tend to wear? I shamefully admit that I didnt look around at the interview stage as much as I could. Do girls tend to wear sweaters (like thin cotton ones) with their suits as oppose to shirts (for a more casual look) or is it alll quite formal?

And heels? I'm already about 5'8 so are flats suitable or a modest heel expected? But if I find those rare pair of high heels (4 inches lets say) that are comfortable, are they are no-no cause no one wears them, or because i'd be 6ft?
Original post by Drogue

is black suits with light stripes faux pas? :colondollar:
Reply 1089
Original post by super_dry
is black suits with light stripes faux pas? :colondollar:

Yes.
Original post by Drogue
Yes.

I have three AC's coming up in the next month and can't gain enough money to get a new suit, my current one is navy but it's pinstriped! It's not obvious but recognisable! Should I be worried? I've read bad things about the pin... Thanks in advance, I hope it doesn't set back first impressions too much since I've bought really nice shirts and ties to go with.
Reply 1091
Original post by lilpenguin
I have three AC's coming up in the next month and can't gain enough money to get a new suit, my current one is navy but it's pinstriped! It's not obvious but recognisable! Should I be worried? I've read bad things about the pin... Thanks in advance, I hope it doesn't set back first impressions too much since I've bought really nice shirts and ties to go with.

I doubt that'd be an issue, but I'm no expert. Pinstripes tend to look a little much on young, junior people, but it's not the kind of clear faux pas that a black suit is.
Reply 1092
Original post by PorcineAviation

Lmao, so true

Original post by lilpenguin

If you don't have cash to buy a different one what are you going to do anyway... don't worry it will be fine, go get it tailored a bit so it fits great, will give you a touch of confidence and will make it look far better.
Reply 1093
Original post by Drogue
I doubt that'd be an issue, but I'm no expert. Pinstripes tend to look a little much on young, junior people, but it's not the kind of clear faux pas that a black suit is.

(thin and subtle) Pinstripes are fine. Its large chalkstripes that are the faux pas. But totally, the black suit is a horrible rookie error.
Any advice for women in FO at a BB?
Reply 1095
Reply 1096

Why are they so long?

And the material looks like its meant to be bulletproof or something.

With shoes I would go with something a bit more classic, like an oxford, not these 'fashionable' things that people who hang out in shoreditch wear.
Reply 1097
Original post by acies
Why are they so long?

And the material looks like its meant to be bulletproof or something.

With shoes I would go with something a bit more classic, like an oxford, not these 'fashionable' things that people who hang out in shoreditch wear.

agreed with all the above, the ones in the link look horrible.
Reply 1098
Opinion?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Collezione-Leather-Lace-Panelled-Shoes/dp/B004DM3KEY

Need a safe classic shoe. Any other reccomendations <£150?
Reply 1099
Original post by rockon
Opinion?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Collezione-Leather-Lace-Panelled-Shoes/dp/B004DM3KEY

Need a safe classic shoe. Any other reccomendations <£150?

make sure they arent uncomfortable (wear them for a day before you use them for the interview), spending a 100 more sounds pretty good when you're walking around with blisters :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending