The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The good "best of" lists should include films that you've never heard of but now really want to go and see that. Ebert's 2010 docs list does that for me - three docs I'd never heard of were on it and all look really interesting; Best Worst Movie, Cropsey and 45365.

Cropsey looks ****ing insane. Like Blair Witch Project for real:

Reply 6521

What do you think this will be like?
Original post by xCBRx

Original post by xCBRx

What do you think this will be like?

The premise sounds interesting enough, but the acting looks terrible and the CG looks really bad as well (surprisingly).

As for what it will be like, I'd say a cross between Poseidon and Donkey Punch.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by channy
I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but I don't like it. Could be the shade of the colours, or the gimps in the background. Spidey looks off, as well. Didn't he make his own suit at the beginning? Looks too "shiney".

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29371172&postcount=152
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29371379&postcount=155

this thread -.-'

well its only the first promo pic, i imagine they edited the hell out of it haha
Reply 6524
I want Jude Law.
Original post by Seanisonfire
I really enjoyed Fantastic Mr Fox

I love that film. I was fairly sceptical about Wes Anderson doing an animated film, but it was awesome. Not really a kids' film at all, I thought.
Reply 6526
Original post by Seanisonfire
I really enjoyed Fantastic Mr Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox is wicked awesome. :h:

I didn't expect it to make me laugh out loud but it did, I completely cracked up at "IS SHE BLIND!?!". :biggrin:

In other news, I'm about to pop Date Night in the player, fingers crossed because I love Tina Fey.
Original post by dior
I want Jude Law.

Mmmmm so do I :rolleyes:
Reply 6528
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Clever time travel along the lines of Timecrimes and Primer, to be exact. :tongue:

I've not seen this film, nor heard of it but it sounds interesting (synopsis doesn't mention any time travel but since you've brought it up I'm guessing it is in there) so I'm going to check it out.

Just finished season 3 of Lost. I get the feeling I'm going to be very sad when I've finished all the episodes. Nothing quite like it on TV, not with the same multiple plot threads, intrigue and mystery, and character development.

I watched Timecrimes earlier this week. Really enjoyed it.
Original post by Christien
I hear the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a serial killer/revenge fantasy based thing too. I don't know, I have no interest in it.

And I don't personally think Benjamin Button's any good, but it is well shot, so if that's enough for you, by all means watch it.

It's an alright novel. It takes a long time before it starts to find its legs, but it's a nice, light read. It's no James Joyce though. No moocows in this. :p:

---

Saw 127 Hours tonight. Was disappointed, for two reasons: the film didn't live up to my ridiculously high expectations (though it is still a cracking film) and Cineworld are literally the spawn of Satan. The whole film, even through the adverts, the screen wasn't completely filled with the film. Like, on the left side there was a border that seemed to be at a 45 degree angle. :lolwut: I know the film isn't supposed to be super clear, but I could've sworn that some parts were worse than a ripped DVD as a result of this border and stuff.

Franco was really good though and "The Scene" isn't too bad. Only bit I really cringed at was the sound of the bones breaking.
As part of a new year's resolution I told myself that I would watch at least one film every week, and that at least one every two weeks would be something I hadn't seen before.

Watched The Truman Show tonight. It has been years since I saw it and I don't think I fully appreciated it back then. It's a brilliant film, so well made. Carrey is really good in it, but I still wasn't too impressed by him - I hate the goofy crap he always brings. But you get swept up in the emotion of the story and it's one hell of a ride. One thing's for sure; Weir is a terrific and often overlooked director.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Clever time travel along the lines of Timecrimes and Primer, to be exact. :tongue:

I've not seen this film, nor heard of it but it sounds interesting (synopsis doesn't mention any time travel but since you've brought it up I'm guessing it is in there) so I'm going to check it out.

Just finished season 3 of Lost. I get the feeling I'm going to be very sad when I've finished all the episodes. Nothing quite like it on TV, not with the same multiple plot threads, intrigue and mystery, and character development.

I think you'd enjoy it. It's got a really good story, and surprisingly good acting given that I essentially thought it was a B-film before I watched it. Give it a go if you fancy it, and let me know what you think. :smile:
Fincher is like the new Kubrick? :holmes:

This line made me think that for some reason: Unlike many of his contemporaries, he has never pursued the independent route. Fincher’s done something almost subversive: He has made challenging, idiosyncratic movies within the increasingly homogenized and limited studios.

Obviously, back then, studios weren't pushing mindless big-budget films and remakes, but he just seems like the new Kubrick.

Now, I know comparing him to a director like Kubrick seems a bit ridiculous because they are both auteurs, but I just feel like they have many parallels.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Madjackismad

This line made me think that for some reason: Unlike many of his contemporaries, he has never pursued the independent route. Fincher’s done something almost subversive: He has made challenging, idiosyncratic movies within the increasingly homogenized and limited studios.

Obviously, back then, studios weren't pushing mindless big-budget films and remakes, but he just seems like the new Kubrick.

Now, I know comparing him to a director like Kubrick seems a bit ridiculous because they are both auteurs, but I just feel like they have many parallels.

They have got a lot of parallels; for example they both famously took a lot of takes, aren't very sympathetic towards actors (although everyone is just copying Hitchcock in that department), are obsessives, but I think there's one key difference between them. Fincher makes his films to be accessible but with layers of meaning. You can sit down and watch Fight Club whatever your mood and get a different experience out of it. Kubrick had one vision and is unapologetic for it, I find you have to be in a particular mindset to get a lot out of his films.
Reply 6534

Saw 127 Hours tonight. Was disappointed, for two reasons: the film didn't live up to my ridiculously high expectations (though it is still a cracking film) and Cineworld are literally the spawn of Satan. The whole film, even through the adverts, the screen wasn't completely filled with the film. Like, on the left side there was a border that seemed to be at a 45 degree angle. :lolwut: I know the film isn't supposed to be super clear, but I could've sworn that some parts were worse than a ripped DVD as a result of this border and stuff.

Franco was really good though and "The Scene" isn't too bad. Only bit I really cringed at was the sound of the bones breaking.

Yeah I thought it would be way worse than it was. Just as it started, a couple of people walked into the theatre, saw that then realised they'd walked into the wrong one. :rofl:
Reply 6535
Date Night was better than Going The Distance from last night, but still not that great. Some funny lines but wouldn't want to watch it again. Topless Mark Wahlberg wasn't unpleasant though. :wink:
Is it worth it to stay up till 3.30 watching Talented Mr Ripley? I missed it earlier =/
Original post by Phalanges
They have got a lot of parallels; for example they both famously took a lot of takes, aren't very sympathetic towards actors (although everyone is just copying Hitchcock in that department), are obsessives, but I think there's one key difference between them. Fincher makes his films to be accessible but with layers of meaning. You can sit down and watch Fight Club whatever your mood and get a different experience out of it. Kubrick had one vision and is unapologetic for it, I find you have to be in a particular mindset to get a lot out of his films.

It's weird though, if you watched A Clockwork Orange and Fight Club in one night, it wouldn't be too different. Both have an overall message on society. A Clockwork Orange: oppressive society through a totalitarian government trying to control the members of society as well as brutally conditioning those outside the law (breaking free) to comply. Fight Club: members of society breaking free and creating anarchy. Both also have heavy psychological themes running through them.

I'm guessing that's maybe Chuck Palahniuk influenced by Burgess more, but it's funny that Fincher directed Fight Club.
Reply 6538
Mononoke-hime - even better the second time round.

edit: gosh, I can't even remember how many years it's been...
(edited 13 years ago)

They're perhaps comparable in terms of ambition, if not quality. There are some similarities, but Fincher, while a very capable and occasionally brilliant director, has nothing on Kubrick. He was unique in pretty much every sense of the word.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest