The Student Room Group

Official Thread For OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Okay, I've found a specimen paper + jan paper + ms on the website. However there is no june '10 paper or markscheme, so if anyone has electronic versions of these, or can scan them then pleeeease do so. Is this a new spec for '10, or are there papers for '09 as well?
Original post by jamedz

Original post by jamedz
Not sure if it's already been on here but this is the site I use:

http://www.drewett-gray.co.uk/alevel/index.htm

It's all of the old syllabus but if you go on FF&E you can find all of our topics there and select questions out of them :smile:

Thanks so much for these!
Ok, Chemistry retake done so time to completely focus on this exam!

What do we need to know about Kepler's third law exactly? The specification says apply it to solve problems. Also, how does Kepler's third law relate to Newton's Laws of Gravitation? Im slightly confused by this.

Thanks!
Reply 63
Original post by Knight of Cydonia

What do we need to know about Kepler's third law exactly? The specification says apply it to solve problems. Also, how does Kepler's third law relate to Newton's Laws of Gravitation? Im slightly confused by this.

Thanks!

Well you have to know that the square of the period is directly proportional to the cube of the distance between the two bodies - that's just the wordy way of putting it and you can figure that out from the equation.

The second question is a bit tricky though! Have never come across that before :tongue: anyone know? I'll have a browse through some textbooks :tongue:
Original post by jamedz
Well you have to know that the square of the period is directly proportional to the cube of the distance between the two bodies - that's just the wordy way of putting it and you can figure that out from the equation.

The second question is a bit tricky though! Have never come across that before :tongue: anyone know? I'll have a browse through some textbooks :tongue:

Well I didn't think we had to know how his third law related to Newton's Laws of Gravitation, and nothing in my notes, revision guide or text book. But a girl in my class seems to think we have to relate it, and she has done so but Im not sure how. The only thing I can think off is a greater radius may mean a greater mass (not necassarily true) so the gravitational field strength at a point is greater.

Oh :frown:
Okay... I have the june 10 paper, jan 10 paper and the specimen paper. Are there any other practice papers or stuff to do? I'm not prepared at all and I have no idea what to revise >< .
Reply 66
Original post by ViralRiver
Okay... I have the june 10 paper, jan 10 paper and the specimen paper. Are there any other practice papers or stuff to do? I'm not prepared at all and I have no idea what to revise >< .

There are no other exam papers for this syllabus. Unless you find the old ones and pick and choose which questions are relevant to this exam.
Original post by ngray4
There are no other exam papers for this syllabus. Unless you find the old ones and pick and choose which questions are relevant to this exam.

Damn okay =\ . The old spec for chemistry is very relevant to the new spec so I have like an extra 13 papers. However, for physics about 1 in every 2 questions is relevant so I can't even give myself a grade at the end of the paper xD .

What are you using for revisiosn?
Reply 68
Describe how a mass creates a gravitational field in the space around it

How do you answer this?
Anyone got any ideas as to what will be on the paper?
Reply 70
Original post by jamielollypop

Original post by jamielollypop
Anyone got any ideas as to what will be on the paper?

i think they'll ask how to carry out the brownian motion experiment
Original post by Knight of Cydonia

Thanks!

Iirc its derived from Newton's law of gravitation;

GMm/r^2=mv^2/r => reaarange to make v the subject (Ie v= root(GM/r))

Then v=2(pi)r/T so make v = v and root(GM/r)=2(pi)r/T square both sides and rearrange.

If its a wordy question I have no idea.
Tis it correct to say that the only way you can change the internal energy of an ideal gas is if you change its temperature?
Original post by rainbowsss
Tis it correct to say that the only way you can change the internal energy of an ideal gas is if you change its temperature?

Yep. :tongue: If it helps, the equation E=3kT/2 is given in the formula booklet, so the energy is proportional to the temperature. That's how I remember it anyway.
bam, in vertical circle when string just horizontal, tension of string = centripetal force and is the following explanation correct: moving in circular motion, must be centripetal force acting towards the centre, it must have centripetal acceleration towards the centre, but mg acts perpendicular to the motion so does no work. Therefore the tension must provide all of the centripetal force required...
what observations of brownian motion accounts for the fact that the air molecules are smaller than the smoke particles?
Reply 76
Original post by rainbowsss
what observations of brownian motion accounts for the fact that the air molecules are smaller than the smoke particles?

they're not visible during the experiment, only smoke particles are.
Original post by bijesh12
they're not visible during the experiment, only smoke particles are.

my bad. meant smaller mass :biggrin:
I don't feel like I can revise for this paper. There is hardly any past paper material and all the equations were engraved into my brain a long time ago.
Reply 79
where can i find a june 2010 Mark Scheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending