The Student Room Group

Mathematics STEP 2011

Please share some information about STEP papers and ask/answer questions.

I'm going to sit STEP I and STEP II this Summer for my entry to Warwick University.
I've found some free resources from Cambridge website, written by Stephen Siklos, people who haven't heard of it should look it up. They're called "Advanced Problems in Mathematics" and "Advanced Problems in Core Mathematics".

Also past papers available from the website: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/step/Test+Preparation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is a good thread to have :yep:

Taking STEP II and III. Started proper perparation today :biggrin:
Reply 2
:biggrin:
Am taking II and III.
Reply 3
I'll be taking I, II and III if possible this year, speaking of which, I need to send an email/find out/enquire whether it is possible.
Reply 4
Original post by Zuzuzu
I'll be taking I, II and III if possible this year, speaking of which, I need to send an email/find out/enquire whether it is possible.

I read on the website that it's not possible to take STEP I and III in the same year :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sb2star
I read on the website that it's not possible to take STEP I and III in the same year :smile:

It is possible this year as they're on different days :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Potassium^2
It is possible this year as they're on different days :wink:

ah okay :smile: I thought you just are not allowed to sit both in the same year, nothing to do with the dates, though I heard about the dates before. but I must be wrong :P
Reply 7
I'm starting to revise for STEP. Not going to sit it though because I don't need it for uni, and it'll just be a waste of money to sit it under exam conditions.
No idea how to start tbh. I had a go at a random paper, but couldn't do any. Shall I just choose the questions on the topics I'm most familiar with first? I'm also reading the Siklos booklet, but I don't really like his style...
Reply 8
I'm starting properly this evening. :smile: STEP II and STEP III, the joys.

I need STEP II and STEP III for my Cambridge offer, but considering that they're on different days, should I take STEP I as well? I'm thinking it might be a good warmup, and also, just say I got a 1 on STEP I and STEP II and a 2 on STEP III, where I need a 1 on STEP II and STEP III for Cambridge. Do we think the grade on STEP I might give me an advantage in the summer pool, or it'd just be a waste of time/resources?
Reply 9
Original post by sb2star
Please share some information about STEP papers and ask/answer questions.There is a huge thread about STEP here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1310974

That link, in turn, contains links to worked solutions for most questions between 1987 and 2008.

As a general point, if you want to discuss particular questions, you should be posting in the Maths forum (note not Mathematics) at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38. Do search first, as most questions have already been answered. If you have a specific issue that needs help, if you quote me, I'll see if I can help.

If you want to discuss a specific examination (things like dates, rules, etc. which don't directly relate to the mathematics) you should post in the Maths Exams forum at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=373

If you want to discuss STEP as it relates to university, this would be the appropriate forum.

In practice the lines are somewhat blurred, but try to keep these categories in mind. Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
i'm doing I, thinking of doing II as well
Reply 11
Original post by kerily
I'm starting properly this evening. :smile: STEP II and STEP III, the joys.

I need STEP II and STEP III for my Cambridge offer, but considering that they're on different days, should I take STEP I as well? I'm thinking it might be a good warmup, and also, just say I got a 1 on STEP I and STEP II and a 2 on STEP III, where I need a 1 on STEP II and STEP III for Cambridge. Do we think the grade on STEP I might give me an advantage in the summer pool, or it'd just be a waste of time/resources?

I don't know how it would be considered in the Summer Pool (it can't hurt your chances), however STEP I is actually after II and III so it'd be more like warm-down :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Schnecke
I don't know how it would be considered in the Summer Pool (it can't hurt your chances), however STEP I is actually after II and III so it'd be more like warm-down :tongue:

I'm kind of hoping it would help. I mean, STEP I is meant to be similar to STEP II in terms of content, just easier, so I could expect not to do too awfully on it, and that might help in the summer pool if I was up against someone else with identical grades but who hadn't done STEP I. School are very against me doing it though, for some reason.

Damn it being after. I'll be straight into STEP II or STEP III with no warmup beyond my own prep, then? Oh joy of joys :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by kerily
I'm kind of hoping it would help. I mean, STEP I is meant to be similar to STEP II in terms of content, just easier, so I could expect not to do too awfully on it, and that might help in the summer pool if I was up against someone else with identical grades but who hadn't done STEP I. School are very against me doing it though, for some reason.

Damn it being after. I'll be straight into STEP II or STEP III with no warmup beyond my own prep, then? Oh joy of joys :biggrin:

Maybe it's for cost reasons :confused:. I can't understand why else they'd care, it can't affect your II/III too much as you'll be doing the same things as prep.
The only reason I'm not considering it is because I already have 2 exams on the friday and something like 6 exams in that week.
Reply 14
Original post by Schnecke
Maybe it's for cost reasons :confused:. I can't understand why else they'd care, it can't affect your II/III too much as you'll be doing the same things as prep.
The only reason I'm not considering it is because I already have 2 exams on the friday and something like 6 exams in that week.

Ohhh, maybe it is for cost reasons actually, considering it's like £40 a go, and I'm the only person doing it. That would make sense. Oh, bless you! I had 14 exams last summer, so I feel your pain, but I hardly have any that actually matter this time around. Barring resits from January, I'll have M2, M3 and FP4, but I've already finished maths and FM so I'm just doing them for fun, and also some for German, but they tend not to be too bad :smile:
Original post by kerily
I'm kind of hoping it would help. I mean, STEP I is meant to be similar to STEP II in terms of content, just easier, so I could expect not to do too awfully on it, and that might help in the summer pool if I was up against someone else with identical grades but who hadn't done STEP I. School are very against me doing it though, for some reason.To be brutally honest, I think STEP I is too easy nowadays to count for much when it comes to Cambridge admission. By the same token, if you take it, I think you need to get an 'S'; anything less will actually look bad by Cambridge standards.

[Personal opinion only - I'm sure there will be others who disagree].
Reply 16
Original post by DFranklin
To be brutally honest, I think STEP I is too easy nowadays to count for much when it comes to Cambridge admission. By the same token, if you take it, I think you need to get an 'S'; anything less will actually look bad by Cambridge standards.

[Personal opinion only - I'm sure there will be others who disagree].

Don't they sometimes give offers involving STEP I and STEP II, if you haven't taken further maths to A2, or does that only happen very, very rarely?

That would be a problem with taking it actually - if I did it as an afterthought and concentrated on II and III, then got a 2 or a 3 or something in I, it'd look really bad. Hmm.
subscribed:tongue:

Most probably STEP I and II

btw....anyone here self teaching edexcel fp2 / fp3 / s3 / s4 / m3 ???????
Original post by kerily
Don't they sometimes give offers involving STEP I and STEP II, if you haven't taken further maths to A2, or does that only happen very, very rarely?I don't know how often it happens - I do think that 11 in STEP I/II is a significantly easier offer than 11 in II/III these days, but I don't really know how they account for that. There's random variation as well: last year had an easy STEP II and a hard STEP III, so 11 in STEP I/II would have been a much easier option last year.

Don't forget, however, that if you have done FM, expectations will be higher than if you haven't.
Got through a question today, it was ok but because I didn't remember the stuff on integration of inverse trig, I couldn't do the rest :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest