The Student Room Group

Studying maths at uni

What are the best unis to study maths at in the UK and their desired grades for A-level. I am planning to do FM, Maths, Physics and economics. Im still deciding whether to do a joint maths and economics degree or joint maths and physics degree.
Reply 1
Original post by Nat16.
What are the best unis to study maths at in the UK and their desired grades for A-level. I am planning to do FM, Maths, Physics and economics. Im still deciding whether to do a joint maths and economics degree or joint maths and physics degree.

Best are Cambridge Oxford, Warwick, Imperial. Oxford and Imperial require A*A*A and MAT, Cambridge require A*A*A and STEP, Warwick require either A*A*A* or A*A*A and MAT/STEP/TMUA.
Reply 2
Original post by mxtt_helm
Best are Cambridge Oxford, Warwick, Imperial. Oxford and Imperial require A*A*A and MAT, Cambridge require A*A*A and STEP, Warwick require either A*A*A* or A*A*A and MAT/STEP/TMUA.

Thank youuu, so where are the MAT and STEP tests taken? The uni itself or ...?
Original post by Nat16.

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University which is 11th in the UK for Mathematics (The Complete University Guide 2023). We offer a variety of different course that may interest you:
- Economics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAB with A level Mathematics grade B)
- Economics and Mathematics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAB with A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics grade A)
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAA with A level Mathematics and Physics grade A)
Alongside these there is options to do integrated masters, a year in industry or study abroad. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Nat16.
Thank youuu, so where are the MAT and STEP tests taken? The uni itself or ...?

Usually taken in a relevant test centre (which will probably be your school), if you're interested in taking them then its a good idea to ask any maths teachers at your school about the tests. Afaik most schools will do the exams internally.

Quick Reply

Latest