The Student Room Group

Msc Finance at Warwick : impressive figures

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Yes I study economics there.

Can you please tell me why you think the LSE finance/economics courses are soft? Whilst the Imperial courses seems more mathematical, it doesn't make it any harder. For quant roles you need a PHD, so a masters is useless in that case.

Cos there isn't much room to tailor the masters to how you want it (I never said anything about the economics course). I just feel places like Cass, especially Cass, offer courses that are much more interesting than LSE's CorpFin biased (not that that's a bad thing) course, when I wanna trade. I completely agree about the rep of the uni, but for alot of people the course matters alot and I just find the msc finance course there a bit one dimensional when I like a bit of room for scope
Reply 221
any 1 certain of going to Warwick this fall???
no.... damn this thread does make you think though....

I think peaches is leaning toward sit with a 10k scholarship.
Reply 223
Original post by Ineedaplace
no.... damn this thread does make you think though....

I think peaches is leaning toward sit with a 10k scholarship.

yeap.. wish I had the 10 grand factor with me.. :frown:.. what abt u... have you decided on a Uni??
I haven't even recieved all my offers :frown: I have been tied up with other things too.

The ONLY thing stopping em straight out picking imperial is that MSc Finance has such a damn high admittance rate. While as Warwick and LSE have really low. Is this because LSE offer varieties of courses, so does Warwick and Imperial doesn't offer as many?
I haven't even recieved all my offers :frown: I have been tied up with other things too.

The ONLY thing stopping em straight out picking imperial is that MSc Finance has such a damn high admittance rate. While as Warwick and LSE have really low. Is this because LSE offer varieties of courses, so does Warwick and Imperial doesn't offer as many?

LSE MSc Finance is equivalent to LBS MSF in some ways, as quite a few students in the past have got associate positions at bb ibanks. Make of that what you will.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 226

Fair point.. LSE does offer arnd 5 (6 if you include risks and stochastics) courses which are related to Finance)... and Imperial only offers 2 (i think).. have you got into LSE?? most say it has some of the best programs in the UK... where else are you waiting back to hear from??? :biggrin:
Oxbridge. Prospectiveeconomist some guys from Imperial have amde associate too. All these people have >3 years experience so GL with that.

I don't have LSE yet, though imperial seems quanttiative as hell.
LSE MSc Finance is equivalent to LBS MSF in some ways, as quite a few students in the past have got associate positions at bb ibanks. Make of that what you will.

Ye people will get on associate roles from the MSc Finance cos they will have 3+ year workexp like ineedaplace said. Comparing LSE to LBS is silly, you have to, HAVE TO, have 5 years work experience to get into LBS, people can get into MSc Finance with no GMAT and work exp, hmmmmmm, I guess they are equivqlent :tongue:. Is your LSE offer A&F?
Original post by Peaches182
Ye people will get on associate roles from the MSc Finance cos they will have 3+ year workexp like ineedaplace said. Comparing LSE to LBS is silly, you have to, HAVE TO, have 5 years work experience to get into LBS, people can get into MSc Finance with no GMAT and work exp, hmmmmmm, I guess they are equivqlent :tongue:. Is your LSE offer A&F?

I did say "some ways". Yes, but I'm thinking about taking a year out, do my GMAT whilst finding a job and apply to LBS Masters. That course has by far the best career prospects of any masters in the UK, and quite possibly Europe.
I did say "some ways". Yes, but I'm thinking about taking a year out, do my GMAT whilst finding a job and apply to LBS Masters. That course has by far the best career prospects of any masters in the UK, and quite possibly Europe.

But 5 years worth of experience, it clearly states that for the masters and the MBA. Unless you already have 4 years which, with respect, I dont think you.
But 5 years worth of experience, it clearly states that for the masters and the MBA. Unless you already have 4 years which, with respect, I dont think you.

The MSc Management course only allows candidates with less than 1 years work experience. with 95% of the class employed within 3 months and a very high average salary, it must be an excellent course.
The MSc Management course only allows candidates with less than 1 years work experience. with 95% of the class employed within 3 months and a very high average salary, it must be an excellent course.

Ahhhhhhh, no no no no, dont do management, ahhhhh. Okay, slight over reaction, it will obvs be a good course. Why would you wanna do management after economics, particularly at nottingham who I know have a great course, seems a bit wafely to me. That being said:

MSc Management London Business School
2:1 Economics Nottingham

looks rather nice on a CV.

Quick Q, my A&F for LSE allows a 2nd choice, Economics is what I've put down. Any idea on a 2nd? My app is literally about to go in
Ahhhhhhh, no no no no, dont do management, ahhhhh. Okay, slight over reaction, it will obvs be a good course. Why would you wanna do management after economics, particularly at nottingham who I know have a great course, seems a bit wafely to me. That being said:

MSc Management London Business School
2:1 Economics Nottingham

looks rather nice on a CV.

Quick Q, my A&F for LSE allows a 2nd choice, Economics is what I've put down. Any idea on a 2nd? My app is literally about to go in

Erm...to be honest I think Economics is probably the second most competitive course at LSE after straight finance. Why don't you put down msc accounting organisation instead? Whats your undergrad degree?

PS I thought you were going to Imperial?
(edited 13 years ago)
Peaches you are applying to LSE?

I think I might firm imperial and reject all else. The course seems like it has alot of quantitative modules that will put a good foundation for later work :smile: Plus I am interested in it.
Erm...to be honest I think Economics is probably the second most competitive course at LSE after straight finance. Why don't you put down msc accounting organisation instead?

I'm gonna be honest. I was reviewing the course content, and I wasnt too much of a fan, so its best that I didnt. Saying that, I picked Econometrics which admit around 21/232(top of my head) if im not wrong. If figured I wanted something really mathsy. But I doubt my course has enough maths in it to be considered. I'm not too phased about the second choice, for me, the best looking course at LSE is Finance and Economics, but GMAT is mandatory, so no putting that as my second choice.

Overall, If I get a scholarship for Imperial, and an offer from LSE, id maybe go Imperial. No scholarship from imperial and LSE offer, possibly LSE. No LSE offer, probably Warwick. Saying that, with this thing from Warwick it make the Fees £15,000 less than Imperial, £8k less than LSE, and maybe 5-8k in living cost difference. Maybe warwick overall cos a 'scholarship' on a CV will look better than no scholarship to some people.

(just checked the econometrics admission, 18/282. I was close, but thats fewer people with more applicants :smile: )
i have all types of random offers,

still MSc finance at Imperial look sick.

let me know what you choose in the end.
Reply 237
Hello everybody!

Just saw this topic and I thought it would be useful to include some infos that I have gathered from research in net and discussions with profs from top business schools.

So my conlusion would be that LSE and Imperial have both great names! But actually, when it comes to the real quality of programme in Finance, Warwick seems to be better. In Finance n economics studies, Warwick is actually ranked higher than LSE and Imperial.

Plus Warwick provides a higher range of courses and specialization, comparing to LSE which has less courses in the curriculum. Concerning Imperial, if someone wants a more quantitative program then he/she should pick Imperial!

So it depends on what you look for, better brand name, or curriculum & education quality.
Reply 238
Can anyone tell me if I'm reading the OP's linked chart properly?! I just received my conditional acceptance to the MSc Management program at Warwick and I was pretty excited, but from what I can tell on the link the acceptance rate was 97% last year?! This had kind of ruined my day, as the chart indicates that it seems like they are just accepting anybody who applies for the program, and if I'm going to shell out almost 30k US for the degree I would be worried about my post-grad career prospects - how could the program even hold a good reputation with stats like that?? At least I had a few hours of stress-free worry before it came right back again, thanks a lot OP...
the acceptance rate is 94%......

Man that chart must be screwed up.

Be happy you recieved an offer from a top instituition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending