The Student Room Group

Choosing between LSE and Imperial's MSc Finance

Hello,

I have been accepted into Imperial and LSE's MSc Finance (Full-time) programs and am having a tough time choosing between them.
My aim is to break into the IBD wing of any BB in London after my masters.

My current understanding goes as follows;

LSE has the bigger brand name for finance and a bigger alum network internationally. Imperial, on the other hand, has the better employment report (more transparent and specific) which states that 82% grads get a job in UK. LSE only has a report on the entire finance department which has 5 courses and it states that 52% get a job in London.
Imperial has a more rigorous curriculum which might eat up my time finding a job. However, Imperial's curriculum is CFA Affiliated and from the outside seems to be more up-to-date and more quantitative. LSE on the other hand, while still on the academic spectrum, focusses a bit more on placements and has a less rigorous curriculum.

The fee and class sizes are nearly identical (88 vs 124) and alum from each uni (whom I've spoken to) firmly support their uni over the other.

Any guidance on this matter (Especially regarding the placements angle) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by wiiowbiwbnig
Hello,

I have been accepted into Imperial and LSE's MSc Finance (Full-time) programs and am having a tough time choosing between them.
My aim is to break into the IBD wing of any BB in London after my masters.

My current understanding goes as follows;

LSE has the bigger brand name for finance and a bigger alum network internationally. Imperial, on the other hand, has the better employment report (more transparent and specific) which states that 82% grads get a job in UK. LSE only has a report on the entire finance department which has 5 courses and it states that 52% get a job in London.
Imperial has a more rigorous curriculum which might eat up my time finding a job. However, Imperial's curriculum is CFA Affiliated and from the outside seems to be more up-to-date and more quantitative. LSE on the other hand, while still on the academic spectrum, focusses a bit more on placements and has a less rigorous curriculum.

The fee and class sizes are nearly identical (88 vs 124) and alum from each uni (whom I've spoken to) firmly support their uni over the other.

Any guidance on this matter (Especially regarding the placements angle) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
That is so great to have received offers from both of them. Can you please let me know what kind of things you mentioned in your personal statement? Do have any previous work experience and did you have interview before the offers? Personally, I prefer the imperial's CFA curriculum but yh like you said LSE has better reputation. I think if you had a tier 1 university for your undergrad then imperial would be a good choice.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending