The Student Room Group

Jamies guide to getting into specialty training

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Captain Crash
So I've recently being coerced into giving some teaching to some 4th years, actually rather enjoyed it and ended up giving teaching semi-regularly over the past couple of weeks.

How can I show evidence for this in an application beyond my word? I'm hoping the answer isn't feedback forms...

You will need some proof. Ask for a certificate to start with but feedback would be better along with reflection on how you have/will improve based on your feedback!
Reply 21
So I've recently being coerced into giving some teaching to some 4th years, actually rather enjoyed it and ended up giving teaching semi-regularly over the past couple of weeks.

How can I show evidence for this in an application beyond my word? I'm hoping the answer isn't feedback forms...

It's a pain in the arse but it's easy to do. Just tell them that it's for your portfolio, not because you like wasting their time, I'm sure they'll understand.

It is the answer.

I got dicked on in my interview by not having solid proof, they completely shredded any teaching credibility because of it.
Reply 23
Original post by Helenia
not because you like wasting their time, I'm sure they'll understand.
I think most people are pretty used to them now. Almost everyone has to fill in feedback forms for almost every bit of teaching they attend.
Will getting a Merit in Medical Sciences help in any way or form in any application (e.g foundation programme) for future posts?
how many point does graduating with honours get you? does that come under undergraduate prizes :s-smilie:
Original post by Isometrix
how many point does graduating with honours get you? does that come under undergraduate prizes :s-smilie:

Aren't pretty much all degrees these days honours degrees? Or do you mean distinction?
Aren't pretty much all degrees these days honours degrees? Or do you mean distinction?

i'm not sure :s-smilie:

here you can either graduate with MBChB or MBChB (Hons.), the latter awarded to those who have consistently performed at a high standard in exams throughout the course.
Original post by Isometrix
i'm not sure :s-smilie:

here you can either graduate with MBChB or MBChB (Hons.), the latter awarded to those who have consistently performed at a high standard in exams throughout the course.

Sounds like the equivalent of a distinction. (Most non-medical degrees are honours naturally e.g. BA (Hons) ) If so, I guess it would count as an undergraduate prize.
Original post by i'm no superman
Will getting a Merit in Medical Sciences help in any way or form in any application (e.g foundation programme) for future posts?

Only national prizes\competitions count for points on the foundation application.
Original post by Huw Davies
Only national prizes\competitions count for points on the foundation application.
Cool, I guess I won't go all out of my way (and kill myself in the process) just to maintain being ranked in the top 20 of my year.
Reply 31
Cool, I guess I won't go all out of my way (and kill myself in the process) just to maintain being ranked in the top 20 of my year.
It certainly wouldn't hut you at ST application, you get points for all manner of prizes and awards, but academics is far from the be all and end all.

Well done and all, but did you really need to drop that in? :wink:
Reply 33

Our medical degree isn't an honours one. Honours is only for those who do really well in finals and/or intermediates.
Original post by Renal
It certainly wouldn't hut you at ST application, you get points for all manner of prizes and awards, but academics is far from the be all and end all.
Thanks for that. I'll certainly bear that in mind and see how it all pans out.

Original post by Huw Davies
Well done and all, but did you really need to drop that in? :wink:
I was just putting it all into context. I was sleep deprived for pretty much the whole of January and the first week of February and whilst it certainly paid off, I'm not sure I want to go through it all over again in June if it's pretty much worthless in the long run.
Reply 35
hmmm, i've got a question for you grannies

i'm a second year. should I be worried about this?
Worried about specialty training? No. You've got 3-4 years of med school, plus the foundation prog, before you have to start thinking about it, by which time it will have probably evolved several times over.

*hobbles off with zimmer frame*
Its that time of year again (and not alot has changed...)
Original post by Jamie
Its that time of year again (and not alot has changed...)

Is the Speciality Training application system likely to be changed now that the UKFPO allocations are changing next year?
Original post by carcinoma
Is the Speciality Training application system likely to be changed now that the UKFPO allocations are changing next year?

not in a meaningful way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending