The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by rmerz1
I was given Trevelyan, and yer I am. Got better grades than I thought, so I applied to Cambridge (and evidently failed to get in lol.) But I'm not to fussed, I'm gonna be going to a better Uni than I was going to go to. You on your Gap Year?

no I'm actually a 'mature' applicant (whatever that means!). Took a gap year a few years back and have been working since. Probably going to choose Bristol but not going to make my mind up until I have visited UCL again...
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1521
Original post by rmerz1
Think I'm gonna firm Durham. I like the look of the college I was given and I had a really good time when I visited some friends last term. Its a hard choice though, really liked Bristol, Newcastle and Warwick :frown:

Hi, sorry to butt in on your conversation. But just wanted to ask, when you're given an offer from Durham, do they select accomodation for you then? Are you not able to choose? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Pheebs1201
Really sorry to hear that :-( did they give a reason why? x

Thanks :smile: Nope they didn't say, I just had a change on Track. I have emailed to ask why though.

Original post by Noodlzzz
No way! Pshh Bristol suck :frown:

Indeed! :frown:
Original post by hayheyley
Thanks :smile: Nope they didn't say, I just had a change on Track. I have emailed to ask why though.

Indeed! :frown:

They said they're going to send out feedbback 'hopefully' by April, hmm nice. Bristol and Oxford rejections, we should feel proud :P

Where are you planning on firming?
They said they're going to send out feedbback 'hopefully' by April, hmm nice. Bristol and Oxford rejections, we should feel proud :P

Where are you planning on firming?

Oh yes, tis something to be proud of :biggrin: April is ages away so that's annoying. Did you get Oxford feedback btw? Apologies if you've already said and I've missed it.

Well I'm still waiting on St Andrews which I would love to firm, but now I'm not feeling very confident at all about getting an offer. Bangor will be my insurance whatever, so if I get another rejection I'll firm Exeter. Have you decided what you're doing yet?
Original post by hayheyley
Oh yes, tis something to be proud of :biggrin: April is ages away so that's annoying. Did you get Oxford feedback btw? Apologies if you've already said and I've missed it.

Well I'm still waiting on St Andrews which I would love to firm, but now I'm not feeling very confident at all about getting an offer. Bangor will be my insurance whatever, so if I get another rejection I'll firm Exeter. Have you decided what you're doing yet?

Nope not yet, the college said they would send them to everyone though. Did you hear back?

St Andrews looks amazing, I wish I'd applied there instead of Bristol! Best of luck :smile: I have (after I attend the open day) an offer from UCL for A*AA but that A* is rather ominous, so depending on how Jan results go I may firm Durham.
Nope not yet, the college said they would send them to everyone though. Did you hear back?

St Andrews looks amazing, I wish I'd applied there instead of Bristol! Best of luck :smile: I have (after I attend the open day) an offer from UCL for A*AA but that A* is rather ominous, so depending on how Jan results go I may firm Durham.

Oh right, they're being quite slow then. No I haven't heard yet but requested it over five weeks ago and was told it would take 3-4 weeks. It would just be my luck for that letter to have gone missing as well :rolleyes: Not that it especially matters of course, I would just be interested in knowing.

Yes St Andrews looks beautiful and perfect and I'll be soooo disappointed if I can't go there! Haha I kind of wish I'd applied to Durham instead of Bristol :tongue: I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever you go to. Talking of A*s, I noticed Bristol have upped their typical offers section to A*AA-AAB so in a way I'm happier with a rejection than if they had offered me A*AA (only because I purposely didn't apply anywhere I thought would ask for that). Good luck for your Jan results! :smile:
Reply 1527
Original post by khm2793
Hi, sorry to butt in on your conversation. But just wanted to ask, when you're given an offer from Durham, do they select accomodation for you then? Are you not able to choose? Thank you :smile:

I'm not entirely sure, I think you apply for a block when you accept your offer. I think you can chose. My college does force you to stay one term in a shared room, but I dunno if that applies to all colleges. Which college did u get into?
Looking at accommodation can anyone suggest anywhere which is self-catered and a bit lively? dont mind at all if they're jack wills, ugg wearing people
Thank you in advance
Original post by khm2793

Original post by khm2793

When you apply you can state your college preference or put in an open application. If your department decides they want to offer you a place, your application gets passed to either your stated college or one the department suggests on your behalf. The college may or may not have a place (particularly at this late stage because they're only allowed a certain number of each subject). If they have no place, your application will be passed to an alternative that is suggested by your department. Hope that's clear.
Reply 1530
'Faculty of arts post offer visit day' on the 23rd - who's going?
Reply 1531
Original post by Zitheris
'Faculty of arts post offer visit day' on the 23rd - who's going?

I am. What course have you been accepted for?
Physics open day: Thursday 17th March
Anyone going?
Does anyone know what the test will be like?
Reply 1533
Original post by spliishie
I've applied for Chemistry with study year in continental europe. Got an offer for AAB which I think I can get and I put it as my Firm choice. Fingers crossed! We could even be on the same course!

Hello Ben :smile:
Reply 1534
Ahhh just got L100 economics!
I'M SO HEPPY
offer was 38 overall, with 6,6,6 in my HL subjects
i'm going to have to work my arse off to get a 6 in maths!
Reply 1535
Original post by kolokov
I am. What course have you been accepted for?

Politics and philosophy - yerself?
Reply 1536
Original post by Zitheris
Politics and philosophy - yerself?

History. You thinking of firming it?
Reply 1537
Original post by kolokov
History. You thinking of firming it?

Already firmed it :smile: Quite fancy Bristol
tick tock
Reply 1539
Any news from Chemistry?