The Student Room Group

Do you need S1 to do S2

is it possible or you need S1
Reply 1
Original post by sucess
is it possible or you need S1

No but it helps if you have basic ideas and concepts about stats already
You have to have done S2.
I was going to take S2 as a module with another sixth form class since mine were doing a module I'd already done and I wasn't allowed to do S2 with them. (I sit in there and do S1 instead) It's something to do with the system rather than it being impossible. S1 hardly related to S2. S1 is sooo much easier though.
Reply 3
Original post by shishou_fuuin
You have to have done S2.
I was going to take S2 as a module with another sixth form class since mine were doing a module I'd already done and I wasn't allowed to do S2 with them. (I sit in there and do S1 instead) It's something to do with the system rather than it being impossible. S1 hardly related to S2. S1 is sooo much easier though.

Original post by Potassium^2
No but it helps if you have basic ideas and concepts about stats already

so you need to do S1 first
my teacher told me the content in S1 is completely different from S2
The content is completely different but because of the exam board you have to do them in order. <-- that's for aqa though if you do a different exam board it might be different.
Reply 5
I started S2 in further maths before doing S1 but now doing S1 it seems like a lot has been covered just in more detail in S2. There are some topics my S2 teacher is waiting until we have done in S1 before he teaches so I guess like someone else said you do need the basic concepts.
For Edexcel S1 and S2... the only thing in common is the normal curve stuff, I think. And S2 is much easier, if only because there's so much less... I have no doubt you'd have no problem with the content without having done S1, though as people have said, the exam boards may have issues.
For cashing in purposes for A level Maths, your applied units have to be one of the following pairs:

M1 D1, M1 S1, S1 D1, or two the same sort i.e. S1 S2, M1 M2, D1 D2
Reply 8
Original post by physicsfuntimes
For Edexcel S1 and S2... the only thing in common is the normal curve stuff, I think. And S2 is much easier, if only because there's so much less... I have no doubt you'd have no problem with the content without having done S1, though as people have said, the exam boards may have issues.

i will be doing S1 at the same time as S2 for further maths
Original post by sucess
i will be doing S1 at the same time as S2 for further maths

I'm sure you'll do fine then :smile: what's the worry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending