The Student Room Group

Libiya no fly zone about to pass in the UN

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zebracolors
Seems like we are involved now whether we like it or not. But still that means if there are air strikes, forces imposing the NFZ will have to attack right?

Though at this moment a headline is talking of possible air raids on the Libyan army within hours? Can anyone confirm this?:s-smilie:

I think you're right, this just in from al jazeera: "The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has voted on a resolution authorising a no-fly zone over Libya and "all necessary measures" - code for military action - to protect civilians."

link: http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/03/201131720311168561.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ewan
They went in on the pretence of disarming Iraq of WMDs, toppling Saddam was the only way to do this. It didn't have anything to do with the fact he was a dictator.

Yes because preventing genocide is so bad isn't it?
Reply 22
Original post by loki276
Yes because preventing genocide is so bad isn't it?

I never said it was?

Original post by Ewan
I never said it was?

Ah k. In other news Italy will let up use their airfields
Original post by Get Real
Planes will be in before I wake up in the morning, and it's not just planes, I think this gives the green light to U.S warships to shell targets. Basically it seems to be pretty much everything except having troops on the ground.

It gives the green light to:

- Naval interdiction of cargo bound for ports controlled by the regime.
- Naval interception and engagement with Libyan warships engaged off the coast.
- Aerial interdiction of any non-aid flights, including Libyan warplanes.
- Aerial and naval strikes against any ground assets being used to attack rebel positions, such as artillery batteries and armoured elements.
Reply 25

Spoiler

Only time will tell how this turns out, however I am reassured to know the French are in this with us.
Reply 26
The fight isn't over yet!

Al jazeera quote: "In Benghazi, the main rebel stronghold, a large crowd watching the vote on an outdoor TV projection burst into celebration as green and red fireworks filled the air, as broadcast live on the Al-Jazeera satellite TV channel."
Reply 27
It's about bloody time. Would have been better if it had happened two weeks ago instead of the USA procrastinating and trying to avoid any action.
Reply 28
Gaddafi's respones: "The Security Council has not got the right to interfere in the internal affairs of any state. It would be a flagrant colonisation, without any justification. A serious and grave [inaudible]. This is craziness, madness, arrogance. If the world gets crazy with us, we will get crazy too..."

Yet he justifies slaughtering his own people in the masses without remorse or mercy!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by U.S Lecce
Just heard on 10 o'cock live the UN have passed a no fly zone resolution. But bbc only says it's about to be passed. Either way it's about time, however i feel it's a little too late. I just hope this will mean it gets the rebelion rolling again, because it seems to have lost momentum.

BBC: "They suggest that if the resolution is passed, air attacks on Col Gaddafi's forces by the British and French air forces could begin within hours. It is not thought that the US would be involved in the first strikes, but the British and French are likely to get logistical backup from Arab allies."

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12779628

Could someone please explain:
If it's a no fly zone...why can Britain/France start air-raid attacking them?
And why are Britain/France air-raid attacking them anyway :s-smilie:?
Original post by AshleyT

Because Gadaffi is about to annihilate his own people, you idiot!
I applaud the UN for once.
Reply 32
Let's forget all this PR crap.

We are at war with yet another oil rich country because it wouldn't conform to neo-colonialism.
Reply 33
Original post by AshleyT

OIL
it's a ****ing joke. we can't police the world and we need to stop wading in to fight a losing battle - (when we don't even really have the troops.)
we're happy to sell them arms and be friends when we can get things outa them. gadaffi hasn't just turned into a psycho over night.
there are brutal regimes all over the world and there always will be.
and to make it even better the US aren't even going in at the moment... yeah just great this is.
Reply 35
Original post by AshleyT

"Authorizes Member States that have notified the Secretary-General, acting nationally or through regional organizations or arrangements, and acting in cooperation with the Secretary-General, to take all necessary measures ... to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory, and requests the Member States concerned to inform the Secretary-General immediately of the measures they take pursuant to the authorization conferred by this paragraph which shall be immediately reported to the Security Council"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/17/libya-united-nations-air-strikes-live
Reply 36
Obviously it would have been better if the no fly zone had been put in place earlier, but it's a step in the right direction that countries are now waiting for the agreement of the UN before jumping in. Hopefully the UN will be able to make decisions faster in the future.
I find the whole issue of the no-fly zone perplexing.

Libya could easily be another Iraq or Afghanistan.

However I see a large part of eastern Libya facing horrendous reprisals for standing up for very basic human rights.
Reply 38
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Because Gadaffi is about to annihilate his own people, you idiot!

I haven't been following so i was just asking a damn question...

If it's a no-fly zone...How can OTHER countries fly there?

I thought the Egyption government etc were killing their own people? A few years ago when there was protests in Asia i think it was...and hundreds of peaceful buddhist Monks were gunned down, nothing was done...

So that's why i was curious. What makes now so special?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
This is when the real slaughter begins.

Britain and France will massacre the Libyan armed forces until they mutiny and topple Gadaffi, probably lose some British and French lives along the way, way to go Dave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending