The Student Room Group

Libiya no fly zone about to pass in the UN

Scroll to see replies

No-fly zone my arse - this is war in everything but name. "Take all necessary measures" to "protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack" = air strikes on Gaddafi's ground forces.
Reply 61
Original post by U.S Lecce
Lol yes they have some new tech and up to date weapons, but i think you'll find compared to the might of the uk, france and the us, it's like trying to fight a tank with sticks and stones.

You don't know what you're talking about.

We had it easy in Afghanistan because it was one of the poorest countries in the world.

We had it easy in Iraq because we had already bombed all their defences in the 90s and banned them from getting weapons since.

Libya is a rich country with a well equipped army. I think we are gambling on there being a mutiny and a subsequent coup to topple Gadaffi, otherwise we're in for a very bloody war.
Reply 62
Original post by Student2806
No-fly zone my arse - this is war in everything but name. "Take all necessary measures" to "protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack" = air strikes on Gaddafi's ground forces.

It's a war whether we are there or not. All we are doing is making it a fair fight, which at the moment you have to agree, is pretty much one sided.
Reply 63
Lots of overtime for me, fixing the Tornados they are gonna send, about time too, Gadaffi is a lunatic!! And to the earlier poster, Libya have Mirages FFS, the same as the French, and lets face it, with oil they can buy what they need, this could go on for months....
Original post by ForGreatJustice
It's not about the blood shed, ultimately. It's about a stable north africa. That's why everyone turned a blind eye to Gadaffi's craziness, because everything was stable.

It's fairly clear now stability cannot remain with Gadaffi in place, so he must be removed. Not directly, of course, but just a little pressure with some bombs.

not our place.
we simply don't have the troops we'll inevitably need anyway.
Reply 65
Original post by beepbeeprichie
I agree wholeheartedly but this isn't a reason against getting rid of Gadaffi but an argument for getting rid of those *****.

Imagine if Iran enforced an NFZ on Bahrain, it would be WW3.
Reply 66
Haha, just remembered a pub quiz I did a couple of weeks ago, our team name was "Colonel Gaddafi and the Riot Party" :tongue: We got a free round for having the best name :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by garethDT
You don't know what you're talking about.

We had it easy in Afghanistan because it was one of the poorest countries in the world.

We had it easy in Iraq because we had already bombed all their defences in the 90s and banned them from getting weapons since.

Libya is a rich country with a well equipped army. I think we are gambling on there being a mutiny and a subsequent coup to topple Gadaffi, otherwise we're in for a very bloody war.

Actually mate, i think you'll find i know exactly what i'm talking about. Do you genuinely believe libyas military can compare with the US, Uk france? Are you that deluded?

If the uk on their own went on an all out war with libya we would steam roll them within a week! Never mind if the US, UK and france went in. What happens after we steam roll them is a different story, as was the case with iraq, but the initial war would be a one sided **** fest!

Anyway we are not technically going to war with libya, we are imposing a UN resolution to stop the regime massacring civilians!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by don'tyouremember?
not our place.
we simply don't have the troops we'll inevitably need anyway.

Troops won't be needed, once/if we bomb the living daylights out of the Gadaffi army, the rebels can do the dirty work.
Reply 69
Are there any other countries involved in this "no fly zone"? Obviously the UK and France are spearheading this, and the US ships that are near will help (although I think Obama maybe wants to stay away from this one??), but are there any more? We're being allowed to use Italy's air bases etc. and Malta's, but any other UN members?
Reply 70
Original post by KCosmo
Are there any other countries involved in this "no fly zone"? Obviously the UK and France are spearheading this, and the US ships that are near will help (although I think Obama maybe wants to stay away from this one??), but are there any more? We're being allowed to use Italy's air bases etc. and Malta's, but any other UN members?

Italy is allowing us to use their air bases, and 'arab nations' are going to help.
In Harry Hill's words FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that is a bad thing?
Reply 73
Italy is allowing us to use their air bases, and 'arab nations' are going to help.

Sweet, maybe in a weird way this could improve relations with the arab countries that jump in aswell? It's good that it's not just the big bad westerners taking down the dictator, but more of a global "GTFO Gaddafi!" :tongue:
Original post by ForGreatJustice
Troops won't be needed, once/if we bomb the living daylights out of the Gadaffi army, the rebels can do the dirty work.

haha ok. we'll see.
Reply 75
Actually mate, i think you'll find i know exactly what i'm talking about. Do you genuinely believe libyas military can compare with the US, Uk france? Are you that deluded?

If the uk on their own went on an all out war with libya we would steam roll them within a week! Never mind if the US, UK and france went in. What happens after we steam roll them is a different story, as was the case with iraq, but the initial war would be a one sided **** fest!

Anyway we are not technically going to war with libya, we are imposing a UN resolution to stop the regime massacring civilians!

Libya have similar missiles and planes as we do. They are a rich country. If you can't see that then you're the one who's deluded.
Original post by bufferz
Lots of overtime for me, fixing the Tornados they are gonna send, about time too, Gadaffi is a lunatic!! And to the earlier poster, Libya have Mirages FFS, the same as the French, and lets face it, with oil they can buy what they need, this could go on for months....

In terms of air superiority, Libya has nothing compared to what Britain and France will send there.
The Mirage F1s have either been used to defect or are unable to fly. And what old Soviet MiGs Gaddafi could muster into the air would be swiftly taken down by Tornados, Mirages and Rafales.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by beepbeeprichie
And that is a bad thing?

No, I just wish they wouldn't call it a no fly zone, when it's anything but. We're going to bomb the crap out of Gaddafi's forces and they might as well just say that.
Reply 78
Original post by garethDT
Libya have similar missiles and planes as we do. They are a rich country. If you can't see that then you're the one who's deluded.

Lol now i truly know you are deluded! Libya has not got planes similar to ours at all, we have eurofighter typhoons! and tornados! The majority of libyas jet fighters are old out of date soviet planes. They have a few french made Dassault Mirage F1 but even these are well out of date. And again they may have a few european or american missiles (probably still outdated), but the rest are old soviet rubbish. The uk is ranked the 5th strongest military power in the world! Libya is 39th! The uk spends the 3rd most amount on military in the world at roughy $30-$40 bn, libya spends no where near that number.
Reply 79

Good/ The UN is finally doing its job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending