The Student Room Group

Is Government and Politics a good A-Level to do?

Hi, I would like to hear your guys opinions on the government and politics modules for as-level?
I'm wondering of doing the syllabus during the summer hollidays as i want to apply to LSE and I need to do a classical subject.
How is your ratings for this subject out of 10?
Whats its difficulty in comparison with other a-level subjects?
Is it one of the easier classical a-level subjects to obtain an A out of the options; Government and Politics, Physics. Geography, Economics?

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
I would recommend you doing it :biggrin: it's fantastic. You can easily get an A in the first year - 1st year it is do with more govt structure etc discussion on the constitution, PM's Power, Devolution etc. You will really enjoy :smile: I suggest you purchase the AQA govt and politics book :smile:

Out of 10, i'd say 8. Depends on the teacher really. I've got a uni lecture from Oxford who's teaching A2 politics and it's so frikking hard to keep up!

You will love it though :biggrin: If you're intrested in it, watch the news on a regular basis etc you will enjoy the subject very much :biggrin: Good luck
Reply 2
Thanks for that :smile:
Gave me great motivation to do it as it sounds interesting :biggrin:
Just wondering how does the sylabus work and how many modules are covered in the book?
How do you have to answer in the exam? In a theoretical way or will it be more application

Reply 3
I would definately recommend studying it if you're genuinely interested in politics. At my school, we look at UK politics for AS and the USA in A2, with 2 modules a year, and I'm loving it. At A2, you answer 3 15 mark questions from a choice of 5, and a 45 mark essay from a choice of 3, which is not as daunting as it sounds. To be honest, it's quite easy - I just got 100 UMS in my unit 3 exam :biggrin:
Reply 4
Sounds good :biggrin:
And well done on that (thumbs up)
Is there any coursework involved? :smile:
Reply 5
It's really good! And if it's AQA government and politics, then no coursework, just 2 AS exams and 2 A2 exams.

If you plan on studying politics at university it's almost invaluable. I know universities aren't that fussed whether you have it or not, but for developing your own knowledge and understanding it's fantastic.

Also, it's really not too hard at all! I got fairly middle bracket A as AS, but in my first exam in A2 managed to scrape and A*, and by the final exam at A2 got 100%! And I'm not just speaking for myself - for political knowledge development it's fantastic!
Reply 6
WOW Ellen, do you have any notes for ideologies in that case? =]
Reply 7
Original post by abdikarin
WOW Ellen, do you have any notes for ideologies in that case? =]

I will have a look and see what resources I can dig out!
Are you focusing on two in particular or all four?
YES.
Reply 9
We did International Relations and the European Union in the second year - epic!

I would certainly recommend taking it. Brilliant course.
Reply 10
Original post by EllenTansey
I will have a look and see what resources I can dig out!
Are you focusing on two in particular or all four?

Just one in particular which is the Ideologies module bit :smile: im finding that particular one very difficult!
Reply 11
Right ive got the Edexcel Government and Politics for AS (third addition)
HODDER EDUCATION

Contents:
Unit 1 - People and Politics
1.1 Democracy and political participation
1.2 Party policies and ideas
1.3 Elections
1.4 Pressure groups

Unit 2 - Governing the UK
2.1 The UK constitution
2.2 Parliament
2.3 The prime minister and cabinet
2.4 The judiciary an civil liberties

Which of these units would I have to cover as I am not completely sure?
Thanks
Original post by MangaAlexi

Right ive got the Edexcel Government and Politics for AS (third addition)
HODDER EDUCATION

Contents:
Unit 1 - People and Politics
1.1 Democracy and political participation
1.2 Party policies and ideas
1.3 Elections
1.4 Pressure groups

Unit 2 - Governing the UK
2.1 The UK constitution
2.2 Parliament
2.3 The prime minister and cabinet
2.4 The judiciary an civil liberties

Which of these units would I have to cover as I am not completely sure?
Thanks

You'd do an exam in both units.

Although due to the multiple choice nature of the exams you could get away with only learning two of the four topics in Unit 1, and likewise three of the four topics in Unit 2. This is not recommended though, because then you don't have the choice of questions in the exam!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by fluteflute

Original post by fluteflute
You'd do an exam in both units.

Although due to the multiple choice nature of the exams you could get away with only learning two of the four topics in Unit 1, and likewise three of the four topics in Unit 2. This is not recommended though, because then you don't have the choice of questions in the exam!

Thanks, and it is possible to learn this entire book in a summer holiday of 3months?

Thanks, and it is possible to learn this entire book in a summer holiday of 3months?

I was taught it for five hours a week so I wouldn't know, sorry.

But I don't see why not... as long as you're interested in the subject.
Reply 15
Original post by abdikarin
Just one in particular which is the Ideologies module bit :smile: im finding that particular one very difficult!

hey I'm also doing the unit 4b-ideaologies in action module, I ned some help in all four (economy, ethinicty and gender and education), I was wondering whether you can provode me with some notes or aid me as there are no decent resources available for this unit. Can you e-mail me on my e-mail address:
thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by suniya
hey I'm also doing the unit 4b-ideaologies in action module, I ned some help in all four (economy, ethinicty and gender and education), I was wondering whether you can provode me with some notes or aid me as there are no decent resources available for this unit. Can you e-mail me on my e-mail address:
thanks

hey sorry I'm the other ideologies application
Even if your not that interested the subject enables you to develop your own opinions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending