The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by R.B.G
I am not trying to divert attention from Islam to Sikhism. Islam disgusts me and many of it's practices are not compatible with a secular democracy (most TSRians seem to agree from past discussions on the topic). However now it is time to broaden the scope to all religions and their practices which are not compatible such as carrying a knife in public places.

When was the last time you read the Qu'ran? Or read into Islam, in any way?
And if you haven't, then that's not an opinion, my friend.That's prejudice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 301
Original post by okapobcfc08
though at this time I think we should pay tribute and our respect to the latest in a lengthly list of Sikh Heroes, Sukhwinder Singh, who was stabbed January last year when chasing thieves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/09/knife-crime-stabbing-london

:facepalm: And you are trying to prove that carrying knives isn't dangerous.
Original post by R.B.G
I am not trying to divert attention from Islam to Sikhism. Islam disgusts me and many of it's practices are not compatible with a secular democracy (most TSRians seem to agree from past discussions on the topic). However now it is time to broaden the scope to all religions and their practices which are not compatible such as carrying a knife in public places.

I'm going to be a teacher pretty soon, and I need to carry resources with me all the time. Can I not carry scissors?

Also, if we ban kirpans, that means equal rights to ban knives from shops too
Original post by 2ndClass
1) That's one badass looking blade
2) I haven't seen a single Sikh person carry it
3) Even if they did, I hardly think they'll randomly stab me.

This.
Original post by R.B.G

Why the hell do you go looking for suspicions or accusations to through at people who remember the great Sikh heroes. That link was meant to show how a Singh wearing a Kirpan did not fightback using it, hence showing the restraint Singhs use and have to use. Also, the link shows how falliable the ban on knives already is, and there is no guarantee that if you people got your way banning the Kirpan, you wouldnot neccesarily rule out the 0.0001% of incidents that occur anyway. I find it sickening to see a person reading negativity into such a brave and lionheart story. Lost a lot of respect for you mate :frown:
RGB is against racism, yet openly disses Islam, and you are against racism ??
I think we should ban bricks too. They can be used to hurl into peoples houses
Sikhism promotes equality. Not many religions do that. If a Scout wants to wear his own special Scout knife, he should be able to do so.
Thanks for bringing this up, it shows that Muslims have been victimised. Yet more "threatening" religious symbols have been overlooked.
though at this time I think we should pay tribute and our respect to the latest in a lengthly list of Sikh Heroes, Sukhwinder Singh, who was stabbed January last year when chasing thieves.

spot on

instead of trying to ban the kirpan, concentrate of getting rid the knives these youth carry....they're 10000x more likely to harm members of our society that the kirpans that sikhs carry...
Original post by Singh993
spot on

instead of trying to ban the kirpan, concentrate of getting rid the knives these youth carry....they're 10000x more likely to harm members of our society that the kirpans that sikhs carry...

Valid point.
Original post by R.B.G

no you buffoon he's proving that here, we had an amrit-dhaari (baptised sikh) carrying a kirapn...who despite being attacked didn't use it....

the man was a true sikh - he and heroically went after these thieves not unsheathing his kirpan because he's an example of the many thousands of kirpan-wearing sikhs who don't even contemplate using it....

you've, yet again misunderstood the point......
Reply 312
Ban both or ban neither. I'd rather go with the 2nd option.
Original post by TheLeader
This thread isn't about the knives which are glued into a case. It is about the kirpaans which can potentially be used to disembowel someone.

How is a Bukha oppressing a women if she choses to wear it?

Yes, and how many incidents of disembowlment with a kirpan in the UK can you find online? Thought so.

And are women given a choice? A custom which actively forces segregation on any part of society in the UK should be eradicated as far as I am concerned.
If Indigenous British people aren't allowed to arm themselves for self-defence, I don't see why Sikhs should. Even though I have nothing against Sikhs, this is a matter of fairness -it is my deeply-held belief that I should be able to arm myself. Too bad, I have to put up with strict arms controls.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Solid_Snake_100
Yes, and how many incidents of disembowlment with a kirpan in the UK can you find online? Thought so.

Look at the OP.

Original post by Solid_Snake_100
And are women given a choice? A custom which actively forces segregation on any part of society in the UK should be eradicated as far as I am concerned.

Of course they have a choice - what an ignorant question. Do Sikhs have a choice in wearing a Turban?
Original post by TheLeader
Look at the OP.

Of course they have a choice - what an ignorant question. Do Sikhs have a choice in wearing a Turban?

Yes, Sikhs most certainly do
Reply 317
Meh, I'm not too fussed, I'm going to start carrying my "Ceremonial snooker ball in a sock"

Well isnt that ironic? Didnt have his kirpan to hand? :rolleyes:
Original post by Singh993
no you buffoon he's proving that here, we had an amrit-dhaari (baptised sikh) carrying a kirapn...who despite being attacked didn't use it....

the man was a true sikh - he and heroically went after these thieves not unsheathing his kirpan because he's an example of the many thousands of kirpan-wearing sikhs who don't even contemplate using it....

you've, yet again misunderstood the point......

Just proves it's unnecessary then. The one possible reason you could give me for your religion to command you to be armed on the streets is self defence, and you've just said that isn't on the minds of kirpan wielding sikhs. Why even wear it? Give up your mumbo jumbo and put the ****ing knife down.

I'd like to live in a society where no-one is carrying around a knife. If you do, I suggest you pack your bags off back to Khalistan...oh wait...

Latest

Trending

Trending