The Student Room Group

Conversion - Sikhism Islam

idk how to approach this, my twin sister has been talking to this guy whose Muslim for quite some time online. My sister is Sikh, we recently found out shes been listening to the app ‘iQuran’, practising how to put on a hijab, and alienating and isolating herself. Now, i’d like to mention that if she truly feels more spiritually connected to Islam that is okay, but it’s come to a point where shes only doing this because of this boy. When we ask her questions about this, she doesn’t answer them and stays quiet. We encourage her to go outside but it simply ends up in an argument. I feel hopeless as her twin sister, It just frustrates me and I get disappointed whenever i talk to her because shes just always on her phone or whatever online, shes become so antisocial+negative, and disrespectful to her family. I try to be understanding but I am giving up hope. If anyone knows a thing or two on how to approach this please reply. I’ve talked to Sikh Helpline and they said to talk to her. My family have tried dozens of talks with her, but the problem is she doesnt respond to anything, its like she doesnt view her family like humans and acts like we are pests that keep bothering her. We don’t know whats happening and I’m worried for her.
Reply 1
Sorry to hear about this, as a Muslim myself I agree with you on the fact that if she is truly drawn and interested in Islam then that is totally fine - I don't think it is appropriate to do things all for the sake of a guy; conversion is something very personal and important, doing it for someone else doesn't feel like she is being true to herself.

You should continue to try to speak to her about things like how she feels, what is her reasoning behind this behaviour, if there is anything you can do to help her? It is also worthwhile voicing your own concerns, not in an argumentative way and don't speak badly of what she wants, it's also worth telling her that Islam has a high regard for respecting parents, a lot of other religions including Sikhism value this and her behaviour right now isn't even reflecting what either religion asks.

If things get worse you could try to speak to a religious figure from either side and have your sister meet with them so she can open up about things, you could also contact the guy this is all about, as your concerns are very valid - another option is therapy because it could be that your sister is conflicted between things leading to her being so self - isolating. I hope things get better for your sister and your family.
Reply 2
Original post by Bean_cat
Sorry to hear about this, as a Muslim myself I agree with you on the fact that if she is truly drawn and interested in Islam then that is totally fine - I don't think it is appropriate to do things all for the sake of a guy; conversion is something very personal and important, doing it for someone else doesn't feel like she is being true to herself.

You should continue to try to speak to her about things like how she feels, what is her reasoning behind this behaviour, if there is anything you can do to help her? It is also worthwhile voicing your own concerns, not in an argumentative way and don't speak badly of what she wants, it's also worth telling her that Islam has a high regard for respecting parents, a lot of other religions including Sikhism value this and her behaviour right now isn't even reflecting what either religion asks.

If things get worse you could try to speak to a religious figure from either side and have your sister meet with them so she can open up about things, you could also contact the guy this is all about, as your concerns are very valid - another option is therapy because it could be that your sister is conflicted between things leading to her being so self - isolating. I hope things get better for your sister and your family.

thank you so much for your reply, i really appreciate it. i think talking to her about this is very hard because she doesnt reply or talk. we’re thinking of taking her to a Mosque and she may talk to a Muslim teacher or priest, hopefully she does open up to someone. i think the main issue is that its also all online, we dont know who this boy is or what hes telling her, idk if hes doing something or my sisters pleasing him on her own choice- so its kinda risky talking to him, bcs he could say something to my sister and then she may be even more quiet. we jjust hope that she will get better before 18 otherwise its gonna become worse.. therapy may be an option but i hear that it only works if u want to change and i dont think she does
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
thank you so much for your reply, i really appreciate it. i think talking to her about this is very hard because she doesnt reply or talk. we’re thinking of taking her to a Mosque and she may talk to a Muslim teacher or priest, hopefully she does open up to someone. i think the main issue is that its also all online, we dont know who this boy is or what hes telling her, idk if hes doing something or my sisters pleasing him on her own choice- so its kinda risky talking to him, bcs he could say something to my sister and then she may be even more quiet. we jjust hope that she will get better before 18 otherwise its gonna become worse.. therapy may be an option but i hear that it only works if u want to change and i dont think she does

It's good to hear that you are considering some of the steps I mentioned and I truly hope things get better for everyone in this situation. I'm a little concerned about what this guy is saying to her, because with the way she is behaving something doesn't seem right and unfortunately not everyone on the internet is known to be kind.

It could be worth trying to get your sister to spend time with family or give her distractions away from this guy, so that she isn't as attached and can slowly open up more. In regards to therapy, if it's starting off with family therapy then maybe she can become encouraged and motivated to open up with all her loved ones by her side - a youth worker may also help in this situation as it may help your sister to relate to someone - the idea is that a safe space should be provided for her so that she feels comfortable enough to discuss what's been going on - the curiosity for Islam is great but the way she is going about things isn't the way things should be done - religion should be encouraged but never forced.

Sometimes people need a gentle push in the right direction to open up and reflect on things and I think this is what your sister needs at this point rather than what she wants, because at the end of the day she is always going to be your family and her religious choices will never change that - I hope you all find peace and that things get better soon for you all
Reply 4
Original post by Bean_cat
It's good to hear that you are considering some of the steps I mentioned and I truly hope things get better for everyone in this situation. I'm a little concerned about what this guy is saying to her, because with the way she is behaving something doesn't seem right and unfortunately not everyone on the internet is known to be kind.

It could be worth trying to get your sister to spend time with family or give her distractions away from this guy, so that she isn't as attached and can slowly open up more. In regards to therapy, if it's starting off with family therapy then maybe she can become encouraged and motivated to open up with all her loved ones by her side - a youth worker may also help in this situation as it may help your sister to relate to someone - the idea is that a safe space should be provided for her so that she feels comfortable enough to discuss what's been going on - the curiosity for Islam is great but the way she is going about things isn't the way things should be done - religion should be encouraged but never forced.

Sometimes people need a gentle push in the right direction to open up and reflect on things and I think this is what your sister needs at this point rather than what she wants, because at the end of the day she is always going to be your family and her religious choices will never change that - I hope you all find peace and that things get better soon for you all

thank you again, i am grateful for your reply…her religious choices is always going to be up to her but i agree, the way that shes going about this is not okay. i pray that everything gets better too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending