The Student Room Group

A-Level's for a Law Degree

I am starting at Sixth Form College in September and have chosen to take History, English Language, Government & Politics and Law. Do you think these are a good selection of a-levels to continue with a law degree or what would you change?
Reply 1
Univesities tend to not want students to have studied Law beorehand at A-Level, so I wouldn't take that. Also, English Literature is considered the more respected A-Level, so I would change the Language for Literature. History is definitely a good option and I think the Government & Politics is fine.
Reply 2
Ditto Jeebis42, also try maths or biology as universities would like a well-rounded, numerical person.
Reply 3
History, Maths, +another subject consisting of either: English Lit, Philosophy, G&Politics, Any Science, Further Maths
Original post by INilssonForrest
I am starting at Sixth Form College in September and have chosen to take History, English Language, Government & Politics and Law. Do you think these are a good selection of a-levels to continue with a law degree or what would you change?

English Literature, History, Mathematics, and then one or two of Economics/Chemistry/Philosophy and Ethics.

Uni's tend to want... History, Eng Lit, politics and anothe essay based subject.

most unis dnt like law at alevel, because you would use it as a reason to want to study law, they want other reasons. Youcould do history, Eng lit, maths and politics to be an all rounded person, to show you have logic not jus written ability.

Also they want Eng lit more than Lang, because of the skills you gain from ng lit.
Eng Lit/History
RS(philosopy & ethics)
Maths
Econs/Govt & Politics
My lowest grade is in Maths, which is only a C so I have virtually no chance of being able to take it at a-level and besides my brain would melt just looking at it and I think I will change to do Philosophy and I may change to English Literature once I complete it at GCSE, hopefully getting a B the same as I did in Language. Thanks anyway :biggrin:
Reply 8
History, Lit, Politics >enter traditional subject here< = perfect set. Maths might be good if your good at maths, or maybe a language
Thanks for all this advice and i've decided to choose Economics, History, Geography and English Literature & Language
Substitute English Literature instead of Language.

And maths (or any academic tradition subject) instead of Law - make sure it's one you enjoy and are good at.
I'm pretty sure if you take essay based subjects unis will be happy to accept you so your subject combination would be ideal.
Reply 12
I studied History, Business Studies, IT and Psychology (dropped after 1st year) as well as a 1 year citizenship course :smile:

History is pretty much a requirement and English shows essay writing and reading skills.
Reply 13
Thanks for all this advice and i've decided to choose Economics, History, Geography and English Literature & Language

Perfect. But if you can study english lit on it's own instead of with english language then you should just do lit.
history and eng lit are pretty much reuired. as above its better to study lit on its own than with lang.. best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest