The Student Room Group

Law or non law degree ?

I want to practice law but I’m unsure if pursuing a law degree will be the best option, as generally people tend to say that it’s really hard to do well in a law degree.
I feel like it’s better to do a non law degree (and then the conversion course) because a first would be more achievable, than a law degree and not doing super well in it. Plus, if I end up getting into a top uni, it’s going to be even harder.
I’m not sure if I’m overestimating how difficult it is, and also I think studying law might be fun.
I recently started to consider doing a sociology degree instead, as I do the subject at A level and find it really easy and interesting (but obviously it’ll be different at degree level). I haven’t done a lot of research into sociology degrees so I don’t know if it would be a good idea

Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
I am just as nervous as I require some payment for my LNAT exam aside from such I am optimistic about my entry into Balliol College for my BCL program after I complete my Oxford MBA, thank you, bye for now, Mpho47
Original post by srb_16
I want to practice law but I’m unsure if pursuing a law degree will be the best option, as generally people tend to say that it’s really hard to do well in a law degree.
I feel like it’s better to do a non law degree (and then the conversion course) because a first would be more achievable, than a law degree and not doing super well in it. Plus, if I end up getting into a top uni, it’s going to be even harder.
I’m not sure if I’m overestimating how difficult it is, and also I think studying law might be fun.
I recently started to consider doing a sociology degree instead, as I do the subject at A level and find it really easy and interesting (but obviously it’ll be different at degree level). I haven’t done a lot of research into sociology degrees so I don’t know if it would be a good idea

Does anyone have any advice?

Hi @srb_16,

The most important thing to remember is that you should do a degree that you are actually interested in. If you enjoy the subject, it will be much easier to get a higher mark. I did a conversion course, having studied English Literature, and really enjoyed studying a different subject at undergraduate level before changing to law. However, if you are set on law from the start then even if you are concerned that it may be more difficult than an alternative degree, it may be best to just apply for law as this is clearly where your interest lies :smile: I think the best way to work out which degree to do, is to research both degrees at different institutions and go to open days or tasters for both. By doing this, you will be able to get a feel for which one you want to study at undergrad and can go from there!

I hope this helps :smile:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest