The Student Room Group

I want to work with law but don't want to do a Law A-level

Hello.

I want to pursue a career in law and therefore study it in a university. However, none of my chosen A-Levels are law. Can I still do Law at university and/or will universities look down upon me if I haven't done it ate college?
Original post by fate01
Hello.

I want to pursue a career in law and therefore study it in a university. However, none of my chosen A-Levels are law. Can I still do Law at university and/or will universities look down upon me if I haven't done it ate college?

Most uni law students didn’t do law A level and a lot of schools don’t even offer it so you’ll be fine.
Reply 2
Absolutely fine, law a level isn't required at all and won't prejudice any applications.

Law is an essay based degree so as long as your a levels include some solid essay based subjects (think English Lit, History etc...) that is all that you need.
Reply 3
Original post by fate01
Hello.

Probably a plus point tbh.Not needed whatsoever.
Original post by fate01
Hello.

Hi @fate01,

There is absolutely no need to study Law at college or A level to do a university degree in law! Lots of schools and colleges do not offer law at GCSE or A level and the course they do offer is very different to a degree so it really doesn't make much impact. In fact, you don't even have to study law at undergraduate degree to become a lawyer as around 50% of lawyers study a different undergraduate degree and then do a conversion course afterwards to start their career pathway to becoming a lawyer.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie :smile:
Hi @fate01

I do not think that not taking A levels law will be an issue. You can look into university entry requirements for law. Majority of the law schools accept any subjects to enter the course.

If you have a specific university that you want to apply for, you can always check their entry requirements on their website to make sure you are on the right path.

For me, I did not take A levels law and I still got accepted into a Law LLB course. I hope that helps.

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending