The Student Room Group

Would I be disadvantaged if I did not do History A-level for Law?

Hi everyone! Aspiring law applicant here.
I know a lot of users at TSR believe that History and English Literature A-levels provide the most ideal foundations for law due to its rigour in essay writing. However, I simply can't find myself studying History at a higher level. The topics and content covered are neither appealing nor interesting to me.
Hence, I have chosen English Literature, Maths and Economics as my A-level subjects as these are my strongest at GCSE level. Would I be disadvantaged if I studied those A-levels rather than History?
Any advice would be appreciated.
No, it doesn't matter, for about the millionth time. You don't even need to study essay based subjects at all. Law degrees very happily accept applicants doing all STEM subjects as well as those doing essay based subjects.

Also I'd note you don't need to do a law degree to become a solicitor at all, and to become a barrister there is no preference between someone with their initial degree being in law and someone who did their initial degree in something else and then a GDL conversion course.

The only specific reason to do a law degree is if you have a particular interest in the academic study of black letter law. So if another degree subject would be more appealing, you may as well do that.
Original post by Anonymous
I know a lot of users at TSR believe that History and English Literature A-levels provide the most ideal foundations for law due to its rigour in essay writing. However, I simply can't find myself studying History at a higher level. The topics and content covered are neither appealing nor interesting to me.
Hence, I have chosen English Literature, Maths and Economics as my A-level subjects as these are my strongest at GCSE level. Would I be disadvantaged if I studied those A-levels rather than History?

These A levels look good to me, they aren't that picky about subject requirements for Law. The LNAT and interview will be far more important for your application.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi!

It really doesn't matter which A levels you choose to study if you wish to pursue law in the future! In fact, many universities as well as firms/chambers find that having a broader range of skills from studying different subjects is a major benefit in the field. To study law at the University of Law, all you need is BBB at A level in any subject and although the grades will change for different institutions, the likelihood is that the A levels you chose to study won't matter as long as you can prove in your application that you want to study law.

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending