The Student Room Group

Not sure about what uni course to apply to

I am in year 13 right now, unsure what course to apply for and the deadline for applying is very close. When picking my a-levels, I chose them with the idea of doing law at university. I have never studied law so I don't know what it is like, and I am scared that I will end up not enjoying it, not doing as well and regretting my decision. I don't know whether to instead do a history degree, since I take it for a-level and find it quite interesting. I know that a law degree isn't required to get into a legal career but I am not sure exactly what career I want to do and I feel that law is a more respected degree that leaves more doors open. Compared to history, which I have heard does not guarantee many job opportunities. I haven't written a personal statement yet but I do feel like I am more prepared to write one that is geared towards law or politics. Anyone who does a law degree but did not take law for a-level, how are you finding it? Pls help, advice needed
Reply 1
Original post by ellie6256
I am in year 13 right now, unsure what course to apply for and the deadline for applying is very close. When picking my a-levels, I chose them with the idea of doing law at university. I have never studied law so I don't know what it is like, and I am scared that I will end up not enjoying it, not doing as well and regretting my decision. I don't know whether to instead do a history degree, since I take it for a-level and find it quite interesting. I know that a law degree isn't required to get into a legal career but I am not sure exactly what career I want to do and I feel that law is a more respected degree that leaves more doors open. Compared to history, which I have heard does not guarantee many job opportunities. I haven't written a personal statement yet but I do feel like I am more prepared to write one that is geared towards law or politics. Anyone who does a law degree but did not take law for a-level, how are you finding it? Pls help, advice needed

Hey there,

Have you been to any open days or had any trips to universities from your sixth form/college?

Doing this would allow you to ask questions to lecturers or current students in the Law/Politics department to help with your decision, you may also have a taster lecture or a summary of what you learn in each year to see if it is actually something you can see yourself enjoying.

Please note that if you do not apply by the UCAS deadline, you would still be able to apply for a course through clearing on Results Day, but that depends on the university and if they have any spaces on their Law/Politics courses.

I do not study Law at uni btw but I hope this helps
Reply 2
Thank you for the response,
Yes I have been to a few open days and I have one more to go to next weekend. One of them did have a taster lecture in law, but it was in a very specific area of law that is not required in the degree and did not really interest me.
Reply 3
Original post by ellie6256

Research degrees before jumping into one. Do you really know how the material is going to look like for law or history? Go to a random uni and look at their subject material - it should all be there. Law is a respected degree but from what I've heard of is that it's very complex and a lot to take in. If you're worried about this, maybe try a double or even triple combo degree so you're not tied down to a single subject. You said you were interested in History and yes, it's not that respected, but History with law and Politics look really good or if you're feeling brave, try History Politics and Economics or even Philosophy Politics Economics (which is a very respectable degree taken by many Prime Ministers, fun fact lol).

Just take your time and research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending