The Student Room Group

Television Is Bad.

Scroll to see replies

I don't watch TV that much but if there's something interesting then I'll watch.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
I tend to read the news - why watch it?

Because it's usually just on the TV at home, rather than me making the effort to switch on the tv to that channel ?:dontknow:
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£

being more in control of my frontal lobe

and how exactly did you notice that? Was it painful or more of a tickling sensation?
Reply 23
Weirdest set of options ever.

I like tv in principle, I just find that it doesn't seem to be made with people like me in mind, and hence there is very little worth watching, so I only watch about 10 hours a week max, which is normally newsnight, this week, university challenge, and that rare beast: the non-patronising documentary.
I didn't have a TV (or internet) through most of my childhood including A Levels and I spent most of my time reading or using my imagination in some way...I did have a TV when I was under 5 but was only allowed to watch more educational children's shows like Sesame Street/Barney. I think TV can be bad for children if they watch too much and it can be bad for procrastinators. I do enjoy a bit of TV now though just to unwind...I watch mainly documentaries and lighthearted comedy programmes. It's the best way for me to unwind now as reading became a bit too close to study to switch my brain off.
No
Original post by Jenny_Jazz

Original post by Jenny_Jazz
No

Very intelligent answer.

I presume you watch television? :teehee:
Reply 27
I rarely watch TV but I download good series, and those are few, from the internet and watch them on the computer.
Reply 28
I disagree. Although there is some utter crap on the telly, there are some really interesting programmes. Like Newsnight, some documentaries (the one that springs to mind is Human Planet), sciencey stuff like Horizon etc.

And OP, you mentioned that you like to read the news? I like to read the news too, but sometimes I just don't feel like crouching over my tiny laptop and peering at the screen. It's just easier and more relaxing to sit back and switch on the 10 o'clock news on the TV and just absorb it.
You all misunderstand me.

It is not so much the programmes in themselves that are "bad", but the almost hypnotic staring at the screen and then being in control of whatever is on...
As long as it is not the BBC, then television is ok in moderate doses.
Reply 31
New series of Unreported World just started. Should be compulsory viewing as part of the national curriculum. Educate yourself.
Reply 32
Nah mate there are some quality shows on:

30 Rock
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Good Wife

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending