The Student Room Group

Why are Americans so much more religious than Europeans?

Is it pure coincidence? Or are there actual things that happened in history that made such a big difference between the two societies?

I've heard some people argue that it is because of a 'lack of education' or because Americans are naturally stupid. I don't think that's a valid argument seeing as the majority of the top world universities are located in the US like Harvard, they have a much higher proportion of university graduates compared to the UK and Europe, and especially seeing as they are the most advanced and richest country in the world. I mean you don't get to their position by being stupid. That's why I think the argument made by some that it's a result of lack of education is not really a good argument to make..

So why is it that in the UK Christianity is pretty much irrelevant and barely followed, same goes for most other European countries. But then the total opposite is true in the US?

What actually happened to make them stay so religious, and us to become more secular?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
europeans are smarter....

(sorry just had to say that)

EDIT: oh noes are some people offended?
if so i refer you to my sig
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Some americans still think the world is flat hehe. Seriously I think it's just the patriotism maybe, like they consider themselves powerful with God at their side? The answer to this thread might just be written on a one dollar note.
Perhaps all the bloody religious wars in Europe over the years has just... made us fed up of religion.

I doubt there is a single answer to this question, but I don't think you can completely disregard education. Not everyone in the US is educated to the same standard.
Reply 4
A higher proportion of idiots leads to a higher proportion of religious people, quite simple Maths really...
Reply 5
I think you assume to much, or assume that Europe = Britain, France and Germany alone.
Reply 6
The church in Europe had an enormous amount of political power, which is why all of the movements for democracy and freedom in europe had to fight both, church and state. Events like the french revolution never happenend in North America. Which led to european countries being less "religious"
Reply 7
Well, considering most of the original settlers of America were fleeing religious persecution in Europe its probably correlary. Similarly, the strict Anglicanism and Puritanism which accompanied the initial settlers was clearly ingrained within their psyche and passed along through the generations.

Furthermore, the US went through several religious awakenings in the 18th/19th centuries where religious fervour swept the nation and was accompanying the notions of westward expansion. It has been argued that the religious awakening served to organise the frontiers of America during these times and the settlement were arranged along religious lines/morality and societal structure.

Possible a small explanation as to why ...
Reply 8
Because of their constitution.
Reply 9
Original post by Catilina
Events like the french revolution never happenend in North America.

The French Revolution was a massive influence for the US founding fathers - with the French even supporting the Revolutionary war militarily - General LaFayette has several streets etc named after him in major US cities.
Reply 10
A combination of the Constitution taught in schools, etc, and brainwashing in the community, as well as in the media, to some extent.

And Freemasonry of course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
it's a cultural thing.
Reply 12
Original post by jklmn
A higher proportion of idiots leads to a higher proportion of religious people, quite simple Maths really...

why is it being religious makes you an idiot?
Reply 13
they're gullible as hell
Reply 14
Are they? In what way?
Probably partially because America is a country built on people fleeing persecution, and a lot of these people were fleeing religious persecution in Europe.

Why it's sustained itself so well in America though, I have no idea. Evidently they've done something differently because Canada, who theoretically would be in a similar situation, are just as irreligious as Europeans.
Original post by john_john
I think you assume to much, or assume that Europe = Britain, France and Germany alone.

Eh? Most European countries now are fairly irreligious, not just the UK, France and Germany. In fact Germany is one of the more religious countries in Europe.
Reply 17
Original post by ukr-nffc
The French Revolution was a massive influence for the US founding fathers - with the French even supporting the Revolutionary war militarily - General LaFayette has several streets etc named after him in major US cities.

General LaFayette was named after the LaFayette streets on The Wire
That's what 300 years of inbreeding does to you.
It's because Christianity is woven into the fabric of their society. "In God we trust" is printed on their every coin and bill. I wouldn't go so far as to call them a theocracy, but God is a figure which seemingly permeates every aspect of their culture, implicitly or explicitly. There is a feeling amongst Christians there that to reject God is to be unamerican in some way.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending