The Student Room Group

Best city in England for non religious and single guy?

Hi lads.

I'm researching moving to England right now, hence unfortunately London is too expensive and not affordable, I'm trying to find another good alternative. I'm looking for a very liberal, diverse, non religious, safe, good hospitals and health and very liveable and young city that will be good for a middle eastern single guy to live in.

Thanks!
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Newcastle should be affordable.
Hello! :smile: I don't know that it'd do much for you on the affordable front, but I feel as though Brighton (whilst on the smaller side, at a little under 300,000 people) is everything else you describe :smile:

It's incredibly liberal - having as one of its representatives the UK's only Green MP -; it has a younger vibe (though there are, I'm sure, older folks as it is a seaside town); and it has never struck me as religious! (I've just checked - 63% chose "other" when asked about their religion :smile:) It's also super LGBTQIA+ friendly :h:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
Newcastle should be affordable.

Thanks. It's indeed the top choice right now, I removed Manchester because its .seems to be pretty releagues (terror attack few years ago).
Reply 4
Thanks!
Original post by EVRoosevelt
Hello! :smile: I don't know that it'd do much for you on the affordable front, but I feel as though Brighton (whilst on the smaller side, at a little under 300,000 people) is everything else you describe :smile:

It's incredibly liberal - having as one of its representatives the UK's only Green MP -; it has a younger vibe (though there are, I'm sure, older folks as it is a seaside town); and it has never struck me as religious! (I've just checked - 63% chose "other" when asked about their religion :smile:) It's also super LGBTQIA+ friendly :h:

I read 55% considered themselves nonreligious.
Original post by random_matt
I read 55% considered themselves nonreligious.

That sounds about right - the 63% other could include 8% smaller religious that weren't included as options :smile:
Reply 7
That is indeed amazing statistics.
Out of curiosity, does it have to be non-religious?
Reply 9
Original post by Afrrcyn
Out of curiosity, does it have to be non-religious?

It's very important for me, yes.
Original post by TOM_1900
It's very important for me, yes.

Fair enough, most major cities in the UK tend to be very diverse with lots of Religions, so I guess it crosses those off - like Manchester.
where are you moving from? the uk is a little overrated. that being said, I would say that as a brit
Reply 12
Original post by MIKESPIKE10
where are you moving from? the uk is a little overrated. that being said, I would say that as a brit

Israel. like it can't get any more religious that that. maybe in africa...

I've been to London, Berlin, Paris, Lisbon, Warsaw and prague. London is the only place I loved and fiil home in.

I love the anglo vibe and culture. I wouldn't move anywhere besides UK, Australia or the US. And I can live in most of Europe.
(edited 11 months ago)
Oxford!!
What vibe are you looking for?
Reply 15
Original post by Afrrcyn
What vibe are you looking for?

I love the anglo vibe and culture. I wouldn't move anywhere besides UK, Australia or the US. And I can live in most of Europe.

Love warm, friendly and kind people but with respect for your personal space and boundaries.

I've found that mostly with Brits, Candanins, Americans and aussies.
Reply 16
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Oxford!!

Thanks. ain't it too small?

Love warm, friendly and kind people but with respect for your personal space and boundaries.

I've found that mostly with Brits, Candanins, Americans and aussies.

I guess you can find this almost anywhere in the UK..
Reply 18
Original post by Afrrcyn
I guess you can find this almost anywhere in the UK..

That is why you are the best nation bro..
That is why you are the best nation bro..

Oh, this is not my nation but thanks :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending