The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Another Aberdeen Accomodation thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KatMizzle
I'm stayed in South House this year, and i seriously could not recommend it more!

The kitchens were done up last year, so they look nice and modern compared to before. The bedrooms are the biggest you're going to get unless you want to shell out for the extortionate NCC! Even then, the massive bad takes up most of the room (Tbh, when my flat arrived we were all shocked at how big the bedrooms in SH were... we thought they'd be tiny!)

The walls aren't disgusting and grotty like Esselmont/Hector Boece/Burnett etc - They're a nice creamy colour, and are plaster, not bricks!

There's a sink in the room, yes, but that's actually so useful! When i first heard there was a sink in the room i was a bit funny about the idea, but i don't know how i'm going to live without it. Going to the bathroom to brush my teeth, whaaat?! :P

The doors and frames are made of real oak wood, unlike the badly painted plastic ones of the cheaper accommodations. Infact, everything has a nice home-y touch in South House!

I'd recommend NCC initially, mostly just because of the lounge space. I'd kill for a lounge, but we made our own in South House, so no big deal. :P But if it's too expensive for you, then South House is totally the best place for you.

I haven't been to North Court, but my friends live there, and they say it's pretty much the same, just a different layout (We're one big line, they're kind of crosses... it's weird.)
BUT, SoHo is closer to Seaton Park = closer to uni! Sleep in for an extra 5 minutes? I think so.

If you need any more info on any of the accommodations, just ask.. :smile:

Thanks so much this is really helpful - what does the kitchen come with - like fridge and stuff? And what are the bathrooms and Showers like? Are there lots of Freshers in South House?

Sorry to bombard you with questions :smile: xx
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by theproseandpassion
Thanks so much this is really helpful - what does the kitchen come with - like fridge and stuff? And what are the bathrooms and Showers like? Are there lots of Freshers in South House?

Sorry to bombard you with questions :smile: xx

Erm yes it comes with a fridge :tongue: Oven, hobs, microwave.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Erm yes it comes with a fridge :tongue: Oven, hobs, microwave.

Plus a toaster, kettle, and George Forman grill :tongue: I'm in South House too, highly reccomend it.

Bathrooms are lovely..

You want some photos? x
Original post by daisydaffodil
Plus a toaster, kettle, and George Forman grill :tongue: I'm in South House too, highly reccomend it.

Bathrooms are lovely..

You want some photos? x

Yes please :smile: Thanks that would be great xx
"Please note that all University owned accommodation has been allocated but there is still accommodation available in the Unite properties, please continue to complete this form in order to apply for a place in the Unite Halls."

PLEASE say this is an error on the universities part and not actually true? this is what is says when you try to apply for accomodation...
Original post by it's complicated
"Please note that all University owned accommodation has been allocated but there is still accommodation available in the Unite properties, please continue to complete this form in order to apply for a place in the Unite Halls."

PLEASE say this is an error on the universities part and not actually true? this is what is says when you try to apply for accomodation...

Think it's still last years, we couldn't apply til about May time :smile:
Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two
Think it's still last years, we couldn't apply til about May time :smile:

phhewww thank god for that!! thanks for reassuring me, nearly gave me a heart attack :smile:
I would love to see some photo's too if that's okay? Still not entirely sure what my money situation will be, at the moment I want to go to The Old Fire Station but it's really expensive.
Thanks Lauren x
Reply 28
Yeah South House & north court sound really good :smile: Pics would be awesome!
Btw, when you accept your offer do they send you stuff out about accommodation or are you expected to just go online and book?! :smile:

September is not that far away - who's stoked?!?! :biggrin: x
Original post by fhewitt1
Yeah South House & north court sound really good :smile: Pics would be awesome!
Btw, when you accept your offer do they send you stuff out about accommodation or are you expected to just go online and book?! :smile:

September is not that far away - who's stoked?!?! :biggrin: x

couldn't be more stoked!! bring on the aberdeen freshers 2011 :wink:
Reply 30
So, I think I'll probably go to Aberdeen. Accommodation wise I'm just thinking whatever's cheapest. The website says 'Esslemont, Burnett House, Keith House and Hector Boece Court - £69, £70 & £81 per week' but doesn't specify which is the £69 one. Anyone know?
And is the cheapest really grim? Tbh it doesn't bother me too much, but it'd be nice to know. :P Also, when should i be applying by? I'm not 100% sure but don't want to end up in accommodation I can't afford. :/
Cheers. :smile:
Original post by Zappy1303
So, I think I'll probably go to Aberdeen. Accommodation wise I'm just thinking whatever's cheapest. The website says 'Esslemont, Burnett House, Keith House and Hector Boece Court - £69, £70 & £81 per week' but doesn't specify which is the £69 one. Anyone know?
And is the cheapest really grim? Tbh it doesn't bother me too much, but it'd be nice to know. :P Also, when should i be applying by? I'm not 100% sure but don't want to end up in accommodation I can't afford. :/
Cheers. :smile:

I think Esslemont is cheapest. Supposedly they are pretty poor but when in good company you don't really notice it.

Applications start in May.
Reply 32
Esslemont - 38 weeks - 70pcw
Hector Boece, Keith - 38 weeks - 81pcw
Burnett House - 50weeks - 69pcw
Adam Smith, Fyfe&Wavell - 38weeks - 96pcw

these are the cheapest, I can send you the rest upon request.
Reply 33
Thanks guys. :smile: I probably will go for price over quality. More money to spend going out, so I'm not too fussed. Cheers!
Will be up at mine tommorow for a while so will get some photos x
Photos would be brill and I am so so excited to meet all you lovely peeps at Freshers - Firmed Aberdeen today :smile: xx
Reply 36
When is everyone applying for halls? Or have people started doing it already? Thinking NCC or South House, but dont know when to apply for them? Anyone know?
Not ill May I think - they will let us know :smile: xx
Reply 38
Maybe someone could post some pictures of Aberdeen Uni dorm rooms? Going there on September. Still wondering whether to choose uni accommodation or private..
Original post by Wiz KiD
Maybe someone could post some pictures of Aberdeen Uni dorm rooms? Going there on September. Still wondering whether to choose uni accommodation or private..

Same here. I'm leaning a little bit toward private or Ardmuir though. Speaking of Ardmuir, can anyone share their opinions about accommodation they offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending