The Student Room Group

SAAS funding

I am starting at Aberdeen this year. I am Scottish and applied for SAAS. I have had my award email saying I'm only entitled to basic funding of £50 per month. I am from a single parent low income family. How am I supposed to pay for accommodation etc without taking out loans?
im having a similar issue, except i applied for student loan. you will have to contact saas because its clear they have made a mistake, but theres a chance they will be unable to fix this. you could also apply for a loan as a last resort. if you have applied for student busary that should somewhat help. i reccomend getting a part time job with low contract hours if you havent already. i believe different unis have different funding support, but you could speak to them and see if they are able to support you. it may also be possible that you are eligable for a housing grant (idk if thats what its called) which will most likely pay for the majority of your accomodation, due to you being from a low income household.
Reply 2
thanks - I'm going to try and call them and sort this out. getting really stressed as 1st rent payment for accommodation is due in 2 weeks! I know other people from 2 income households who are getting £500 and £600 a month in bursary payments.
Original post by ell0476
I am starting at Aberdeen this year. I am Scottish and applied for SAAS. I have had my award email saying I'm only entitled to basic funding of £50 per month. I am from a single parent low income family. How am I supposed to pay for accommodation etc without taking out loans?

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen's rep account. I'm very sorry to hear about this mix up with SAAS! I certainly hope you're able to get hold of them so they can help rectify this for you. I won't be able to provide too much guidance here but can give you some pointers on who to get in contact with on our side.

If you're concerned about the first rent payment then I would recommend letting our accommodation team know by emailing them at [email protected] with that information. If you're having issues with SAAS then it would be good to make [email protected] aware, and we do have some advice on financial support here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/students/support/money-matters-3400.php

I hope this helps to get you started and please let us know if you would like any more guidance at all!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending