The Student Room Group

Should I firm UCL or IMPERIAL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
gotta admit that imperial's far and away the best for your course- you'll almost certainly be in better stead for finding a top job with engineering@imperial than engineering@ucl.

why not just live in intercollegiate halls, with people from lots of the top unis in london? bound to find a group of other people you get on with :P
also (feel free to call me out on this, not completely sure) i remember someone at the ucl open day telling me that a fair few of the student societies are open for any london students to join, not just people at its 'home' college.

ucl's absolute major pro is that the students are definitely the chirpiest of the london unis. also, location>imperial's. you've got camden, oxford st, bloomsbury theatre etc all within walking distance. so i guess you've gotta weigh up what's most important to you!

and whichever one you don't pick, there's always postgrad :smile:
Original post by Smitht
Major query, I haven't got long to decide!

I've got offers from both for Electronic and Electrical Engineering and I have no idea what to do!

I've always loved UCL and didn't know much about Imps and just applied for the hell of it, and on the interview day I really liked the look of it! I love everything about Imperial college itself but I do have a major issue with it's reputation (not the academic one of course).

I'm quite a sociable person who does amateur dramatics, goes out quite a lot etc. and enjoys the company of non-science students (shock horror). Obv. Imps is a science college so there would be NONE of that there, I quite like the look of the drama and music there and the union. But apparently it's never used! I also have an issue with the boy:girl ratio as I don't think it's healthy to be in such a male dominated pressured environment. I want to work hard but Imperial seems a bit like a student sweatshop!

If ucl had the academic rep that Imps had (and the better facilities) I would firm it without question. But I'm literally panicking as to what to do!

Could I have some advice from people who have chosen one or the other?

I think you're overestimating the differences between UCL and Imperial. Imperial is of course a powerhouse for Engineering and has great facilities, but in terms of engineering jobs, even though employers recognise that ICL offers top-quality engineering courses, your insitution tends to matter very little for engineering jobs. And for non-engineering jobs, the two unis are viewed in a rather similar manner. Imperial does have the edge when applying for certain jobs (particularly very elite jobs), but on the whole it's a small difference.

I'd seriously suggest that if you're into artsy things and want a good balance of genders, go to UCL. The opinions of everyone I know at Imperial are that it's a very focused, career-oriented environment.
Reply 22
Original post by arty

UCL is phenomenal!

I know it is, but Imperial is very well known for engineering.

Original post by Kobie

It's nothing to do with the university of London any more, so no intercoll halls I'm afraid!

Original post by innerhollow

Is UCL recognised as a good engineering school though? Because to be honest in terms of academia it's widely believed that Imps is, well, the don. Apart for the lucky Oxbridge lot obv.

I did get that impression about the career orientated-ness etc. doesn't seem conducive to a healthy life to me. Where are you at/off to/applying?
Sorry OP, I didn't mean to suggest that you were being dramatic by using the term 'bold'. I simply meant that you needn't worry that you'd be the first or the last to make this decision.
Reply 24
In terms of world leaders, Imperial is definitely within that category for engineering.

UCL, a very good university overall would be just short off the mark. Imperial would guarantee you some amazing job opportunities.
Reply 25
My vote would be for Imperial.

Academically, it's quite a way ahead for engineering. According to the 'THE World University Rankings', Imperial ranks 9th worldwide in the 'Engineering and Technology' subcategory, while UCL is not ranked in the top 50.

What's more, it's absolutely possible to have a good time at Imperial. Yes, it's science-focused and yes, the gender ratio isn't great, but it's full of friendly, enthusiastic people from a range of backgrounds. If I remember correctly, Imperial has one of the largest varieties of clubs and societies in the UK.
Original post by fibrebiz
Arguably, if you want to work worldwide, a University of London degree is more famous than Imperial, despite the world university rankings.

O_o I assure you, no. UCL/LSE/ICL and probably King's are far more well-known than the University of London as a whole (which quite frankly means very little to be honest) or any of the other constituent "colleges".

Original post by Smitht
Is UCL recognised as a good engineering school though? Because to be honest in terms of academia it's widely believed that Imps is, well, the don. Apart for the lucky Oxbridge lot obv.

I did get that impression about the career orientated-ness etc. doesn't seem conducive to a healthy life to me. Where are you at/off to/applying?

Generally, no, Engineering is perceived as one of UCL's weaker departments (both UG and PG) and below the reputation of the university as a whole. Imperial is of course considered the don for Engineering (I don't know why you said "apart from Oxbridge obv."- I am yet to find one person who ranks anything Oxford offers in the way of Engineering as better than Imperial), but you shouldn't worry about that. Both those engineering courses are accredited, so you'll be given the skills to become a chartered engineer either way.

If you think being career-oriented is unhealthy, be wary of Imperial. A lot of ICL engineers move into high-end finance jobs like IB&C, and from what I've heard there is a drive for internships and networking events and so on, that is comparable to even LSE!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Talexe

Are you going there/ already there?

Original post by innerhollow

Is it better than Ox engineering? I know obv. that Cam engineering is the best but I didn't apply there. I'm not saying being career orientated is unhealthy, just that being work obsessed is.
Reply 28
How good or bad your social life will be depends on you, not the university.

I would go for Pimpy (Imperial) because its course is regarded better than UCL, better facilities etc.
Besides you will be London so you will have opportunities to bump into UCL students etc.
Reply 29
Original post by fibrebiz
UCL is still a university with an incredible academic reputation (AND you get a University of London degree), don't be afraid to put it as a first choice.

Firm where you'll be happy - dropping out is the worst possible scenario.

UCL awards its own degrees now.
Original post by Smitht
Is it better than Ox engineering? I know obv. that Cam engineering is the best but I didn't apply there. I'm not saying being career orientated is unhealthy, just that being work obsessed is.

It depends on what you mean by "better", but at my work placements they always say that Imperial offers the best Engineering programs if you want to work in industry, as the courses are very intense and practically-focused. Oxford is completely off the radar and Cambridge is viewed as joint best.

However, as long as the engineering courses are accredited, you'll be eligible to become a chartered engineer, and any companies looking to hire engineers will know you have a base set of skills. Institution matters very little for engineering jobs- the guy from Imperial might have done a few more design projects than you, but if you are the more experienced/sociable/co-operative person than him, you'll get the job.

Well being career-oriented and work-obsessed tend to go hand in hand. ICL is known for a "work-hard" attitude (a few ICL students claim it's a "work hard AND play hard "attitude, but really the second half of that expression seems to apply to a minority). It's not like the university pretends to be anything else- if you go to Imperial, you should expect to be focused and work hard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Smitht
Are you going there/ already there?

Grades permitting, I'll be starting there in October. I obviously don't have a full understanding of life there, but from the time I've spent on site on open days, work experience and my interview, it seemed full of lovely, down-to-earth people. It's not as wild as some universities and makes little claim to be, but it frustrates me when people dismiss it purely because of a stereotype or because they're worried they won't find enough 'fit girls'. It's a great place that you should seriously consider. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Smitht
Major query, I haven't got long to decide!

I've got offers from both for Electronic and Electrical Engineering and I have no idea what to do!

I've always loved UCL and didn't know much about Imps and just applied for the hell of it, and on the interview day I really liked the look of it! I love everything about Imperial college itself but I do have a major issue with it's reputation (not the academic one of course).

I'm quite a sociable person who does amateur dramatics, goes out quite a lot etc. and enjoys the company of non-science students (shock horror). Obv. Imps is a science college so there would be NONE of that there, I quite like the look of the drama and music there and the union. But apparently it's never used! I also have an issue with the boy:girl ratio as I don't think it's healthy to be in such a male dominated pressured environment. I want to work hard but Imperial seems a bit like a student sweatshop!

If ucl had the academic rep that Imps had (and the better facilities) I would firm it without question. But I'm literally panicking as to what to do!

Could I have some advice from people who have chosen one or the other?

in the exact same situation, except for mech eng. i really loved ucl when i visited. and imperial didnt really appeal to me.
sadly ucl's rep fro mech eng is much lower in comparison to eeng in ucl. sigh.
Reply 33
Original post by arty
UCL DEFINITELY. THE LOCATION IS GREAT, THE REPUTATION IS AMAZING (RANKED IN THE TOP 5 UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD ALWAYS) 3RD IN THE UK USUALLY JUST BELOW OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE.

Seriously if you got an offer, who'd choose not to go there! It would look amazing on your CV... and the people there both on the course and in the hole university and halls will have all been individually picked too.

UCL is phenomenal!

Biased and factually incorrect, congratulations!
Reply 34
Original post by wishwash

Have you got both offers? I've literally no idea what to do.
Reply 35
Original post by Smitht
Have you got both offers? I've literally no idea what to do.

yeah i do. bristol as well. and bristol again is much better than ucl but, its not in london :frown:

and i was thinking of imperial, and then stay in one of the intercollegiate halls. but imperial is no longer in the university of london group :frown::frown::frown:.. so, that plan failed.
trying to look for accomodation near ucl/lse tho.

however, it seems i might just have to settle for imperial. since parents are paying the fees, so ultimately they decide :P
Reply 36
yeah i do. bristol as well. and bristol again is much better than ucl but, its not in london :frown:

and i was thinking of imperial, and then stay in one of the intercollegiate halls. but imperial is no longer in the university of london group :frown::frown::frown:.. so, that plan failed.
trying to look for accomodation near ucl/lse tho.

however, it seems i might just have to settle for imperial. since parents are paying the fees, so ultimately they decide :P

Same, my parents are pushing Imperial. Although they're not paying the fees! You lucky badger!
Reply 37
Original post by Smitht
Same, my parents are pushing Imperial. Although they're not paying the fees! You lucky badger!

well to be fair, i am international so it's basically impossible for me to pay my own fees.

imperial = secured graduate job, possibility of a social life if you make your own effort
ucl = definite social life, graduate job?

anyways, all the best with your choice.
Reply 38
Original post by arty
3RD IN THE UK USUALLY JUST BELOW OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE.

Errrr, what??

Even LSE accept they're 4th in the UK! Imperial are easily 3rd! UCL would be lucky to claim 5th, which they dont even do always!
Reply 39

[QUOTE="wishwash;30556304"]well to be fair, i am international so it's basically impossible for me to pay my own fees.

imperial = secured graduate job, possibility of a social life if you make your own effort
ucl = definite social life, graduate job?

anyways, all the best with your choice.

How can you suddenly make such a remarkable assumption?

So many people on TSR seem to think that by going to Oxbrigde/LSE/ICL & UCL that a job will pretty much be handed to them on a plate. I'll advice you to wake up from such dream. Work experience, attitudes e.t.c are far more important now.

By going to UCL will not in anyway put the OP at a disavantage. UCL & ICL are both in the G5 so trust me even if there is a difference, it's only slight, trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest