The Student Room Group

Does diversity increase intelligence?

Scroll to see replies

but human cannot mate with orang-outangs.

i never said races are different species. i said races were the same as breed. you mentioned species.

the defect argument is flawed anyway. lets say race A all have disease. and race B all have a disease.

once those races mix together, then they will create a race prone to both disease A and B.

race mixing simple creates different humans. humans prone to new disease. it does not create a superior breed.

edit:

plus, what about the intelligence side? if a super intelligent race mixes with a less intelligent race, then what is the outcome?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by humanrights
but human cannot mate with orang-outangs.

i never said races are different species. i said races were the same as breed. you mentioned species.

the defect argument is flawed anyway. lets say race A all have disease. and race B all have a disease.

once those races mix together, then they will create a race prone to both disease A and B.

race mixing simple creates different humans. humans prone to new disease. it does not create a superior breed.

Well, it's impossible to tell the exact effects. And no one said it creates a superior breed, we were just discussing whether a diverse gene pool has the potential to develop higher intelligence, which is a very specific attribute, that may or may not be passed on.

I can't understand why you would call them 'different humans' because in reality, the actual 'differences' between what are commonly called races are very superficial, at a genetic level.
Original post by foolishh
Personally, I find it difficult to liken the concept of breeds, for example, dog breeds, to the racial classification of human beings. It's not just my opinion, though. If you look up the definitions, there is a distinction.

the terms race and breed and interchangeable. race is simple used to describe human differences. but in biological terms, they are the same.
Original post by D.R.E
Well, it's impossible to tell the exact effects. And no one said it creates a superior breed, we were just discussing whether a diverse gene pool has the potential to develop higher intelligence, which is a very specific attribute, that may or may not be passed on.

I can't understand why you would call them 'different humans' because in reality, the actual 'differences' between what are commonly called races are very superficial, at a genetic level.

you are right, the term different human was mistake on my part. i should have said different race.

i made an edit about intelligence. if race mixing does anything, then it certainly does not change intelligence, it may weaken disease, although it also transfers disease, but under no circumstances can it create superior intelligence. all it can do is dilute intelligence .

this opens up a new debate, do you even believe in racial differences in intelligence?

i ask, because most people who support race mixing are 'liberal' who deny the existence of race.

so, if race does not exist, how can race mixing better humanity?
Surely it depends on the race of the parents, and also on your perspective.

The IQ of your average African American is 85 with white admixture, so it is a significant improvement on the original IQ of an African which is about 70, but also a significant loss of intelligence from the white who has an average IQ of 100.

On the other hand, mixing white and oriental may yield a more positive outcome. Take the creativity and ingenuity of the white and mixing it with the logical rationality of the oriental may not be a disadvantage from both perspectives.
does mixing two different breeds create a new super breed, or just a breed bereft of the qualities of the original breeds?

cross breeding dilutes the original attributes. it does not magicially create new attributes.

Actually I'm pretty sure science disagrees and Heterozygous genes are considered superior to Homozygous genes in humans. It's proven they have increased resistance to diseases such as aids and malaria. Look it up.
Original post by Busby_Babe
Actually I'm pretty sure science disagrees and Heterozygous genes are considered superior to Homozygous genes in humans. It's proven they have increased resistance to diseases such as aids and malaria. Look it up.

in ordinary language?
Reply 27

i made an edit about intelligence. if race mixing does anything, then it certainly does not change intelligence, it may weaken disease, although it also transfers disease, but under no circumstances can it create superior intelligence. all it can do is dilute intelligence .

this opens up a new debate, do you even believe in racial differences in intelligence?

i ask, because most people who support race mixing are 'liberal' who deny the existence of race.

so, if race does not exist, how can race mixing better humanity?

Well, if race doesn't exist, the term race mixing wouldn't exist either. :wink:

I'll answer your question about racial differences in intelligence below:

Original post by OdinsThunder
Surely it depends on the race of the parents, and also on your perspective.

The IQ of your average African American is 85 with white admixture, so it is a significant improvement on the original IQ of an African which is about 70, but also a significant loss of intelligence from the white who has an average IQ of 100.

On the other hand, mixing white and oriental may yield a more positive outcome. Take the creativity and ingenuity of the white and mixing it with the logical rationality of the oriental may not be a disadvantage from both perspectives.

This argument, in my opinion, is not very convincing. Because the measurement of IQ itself, can only be done rather late in one's life, meaning that social aspects such as diet have already started taking effect on the human brain. So saying that Africans average 70 iq is actually not very revealing as far as your assertion that X 'race' are genetically disposed to higher/lower intelligence.
I think east Asia (namely South Korea and Japan) has proved that a homogenous society increases intelligence, national pride, and productivity.
Original post by D.R.E
Well, if race doesn't exist, the term race mixing wouldn't exist either. :wink:

I'll answer your question about racial differences in intelligence below:

This argument, in my opinion, is not very convincing. Because the measurement of IQ itself, can only be done rather late in one's life, meaning that social aspects such as diet have already started taking effect on the human brain. So saying that Africans average 70 iq is actually not very revealing as far as your assertion that X 'race' are genetically disposed to higher/lower intelligence.

what about IQ of arfican americans, whos iQ is lower on averge than chinese americans?
Well I did once theorise on here that chavs are forming a sub-species, which left unchecked could result in speciation, and then this new species could wipe us out:

- Chavs don't breed with non-chavs and vice versa.
- Chavs breed far more prolifically.
- Chavs hate non-chavs.
- Chavs will have numerical superiority.
- Chavs rise up and KILL US ALL!!!!!
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
I think east Asia (namely South Korea and Japan) has proved that a homogenous society increases intelligence, national pride, and productivity.

i agree.
in ordinary language?

People with mixed genes are more resistant to disease.
Original post by Nick Longjohnson

But places like Sierra Leone are also homogeneous societies. Those are social factors and nothing to do with genetics.
Reply 34
Diversity increases attractiveness, not intelligence
Original post by anon1212

i take it you are mixed race?
Reply 36
No I'm not! But the people I fancy are
Original post by anon1212

That is completely subjective, and those studies on attractivness,interacial breeding and facial symmetry strike me as psuedo-scientific leftist propaganda.
Reply 38
Original post by OdinsThunder
That is completely subjective, and those studies on attractivness,interacial breeding and facial symmetry strike me as psuedo-scientific leftist propaganda.

Fair enough. I just think that people of mixed race are more likely to look...unusual...given their mixed heritages, and this is often a good thing.
when people bring up notions of diversity, they do so because they want ethnic europeans ( white people) to mix themselves out of existence.

why have we never heard of the great africa/ chinese mixing agenda for example??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending