The Student Room Group

How can I stop the Government getting back their student loan?

My employers have this month started taking student loan deductions from my salary as I graduated last June. Is there any way that I can stop the Government from getting their hands on this money, as I didn't expect to be earning enough to start paying it off straight out of uni? Is there some form I can fill in to say that I didn't really go to university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
highly doubt that. only way would be to stop earning as much money, or to move abroad for 5 years [=
Reply 2
No you got the loan, you earn over the threshold, just pay it, it's only a small % of the amount over £15,000 anyway!! Either that or take a lower paid job...your choice!
Reply 3
Original post by PonchoKid
highly doubt that. only way would be to stop earning as much money, or to move abroad for 5 years [=

thought they abolished that loophole.

as soon as you come back into the country they'll still be wanting their money back.
i dont get why you would want to?!
do you enjoy being in debt?
you borrowed the money its yours to pay back....

What do you mean by move abroad for 5 years? How does that stop you legally having to pay it? - Not criticising what you said, genuinely want to know :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
as soon as you come back into the country they'll still be wanting their money back.

i got told it got written off if you worked abroad for 5 years. i may be wrong though.
You're earning over £15k, is it really that much of a hardship to pay it back you ungrateful ****?
Reply 9
Original post by thegenius31416
What do you mean by move abroad for 5 years? How does that stop you legally having to pay it? - Not criticising what you said, genuinely want to know :smile:

apparently it gets written of if you spend the first 5 years straigh after uni working aboroad. dont quote me on it though, its whwat iv heard...
Reply 10
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x
i dont get why you would want to?!
do you enjoy being in debt?
you borrowed the money its yours to pay back....

Yes but I didn't expect to earn over the threshold, and so I'd always seen it as a grant rather than a loan.
Original post by The_Goose
thought they abolished that loophole.

shall i give it a whirl in just over 2 years time??
Original post by Lemozo
My employers

No they haven't. HMRC have.

Original post by Lemozo
Yes but I didn't expect to earn over the threshold, and so I'd always seen it as a grant rather than a loan.

You never expected to earn over £15k? What world do you live in?
apparently it gets written of if you spend the first 5 years straigh after uni working aboroad. dont quote me on it though, its whwat iv heard...

Ok. Does anyone here know if this is true or have a source/link to verify/disprove this suggestion? Thanks.
Reply 14
Your degree helped get you that job, do like the rest of us and pay your debts.
I'm not sure if they have closed the loophole about moving abroad or not, but definitely they will want their money if you ever return to the UK. Therefore, it is completely ridiculous to move abroad and close off the option to come back to the UK simply because you want to avoid some fairly reasonable student loan repayments.

Original post by Lemozo

Well, that's your own idiocy. Would you rather stay on a 10-14k a year job for the rest of your life? Why don't you stop being a complete ingrate, and take some actual responsibility and pay it back like other graduates out there do?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Most decent graduate jobs earn over the threshold anyway? Of course it depends on the course, but i'm already expecting that i will pay it back when i graduate, and rightly so, so that the next lot of uni students can get the same loans that we have.
Original post by Lemozo

so your just greedy wanting free money then... nice...
Reply 18
Original post by Lemozo
My employers have this month started taking student loan deductions from my salary as I graduated last June. Is there any way that I can stop the Government from getting their hands on this money, as I didn't expect to be earning enough to start paying it off straight out of uni? Is there some form I can fill in to say that I didn't really go to university?

:rofl:

Even if you were able to do this, then do make a false statement will be illegal.

They know your details and your NI number and therefore know you went to university. Check that you're actually earning above the limit (can't remember what the limit is off the top of my head). If you are then I'm afraid you have to start paying it off.

Original post by dipless
No you got the loan, you earn over the threshold, just pay it, it's only a small % of the amount over £15,000 anyway!! Either that or take a lower paid job...your choice!

Or declare yourself bankrupt. Which, I believe, is more difficult to do/no longer a way out. Even if it were it would be quite a foolish thing to do.
Original post by Lemozo

ok i have a solution. you give me all the money you earn over the threshold. and i'll pay off your student loan for you. problem solved.

Latest

Trending

Trending