The Student Room Group

Rap against Health Sec goes viral

Was just watching the news when they showed this rap:

The rapper, real name Sean Donnelly, has found himself a viral YouTube and Twitter celebrity after recording a track that certainly offers a "different sound". Eschewing the traditional hiphop themes of bling, booty and babes, Donnelly has recorded a caustic three-minute rap about the Department of Health's white paper "Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS", and dedicated it personally highly personally, one might say to the health minister himself.

"Andrew Lansley, greedy! Andrew Lansley, tosser!" runs the refrain, repeated throughout the song, over a sample taken from The House of the Rising Sun. "The NHS is not for sale, you grey-haired manky codger!" But if Donnelly is far from polite in his political protest, he has certainly done his research.

Further information: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/mar/25/andrew-lansley-rap-mc-nxtgen

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:facepalm2: People like this can vote? Guessing people negging this genuinely think the NHS is about to be sold.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Makes a nice change to see people speak out about the privatisation of the NHS, it's an insult to the British public and can only be detrimental to the nation's health.
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12
:facepalm2: People like this can vote?

I'll do my own fact checking later, but care to expand on that statement?
When I first saw this I thought: 'Urrgh, rap music sucks.' Then I listened to it. Such genius!
Reply 5
Original post by Friar Tuck
I'll do my own fact checking later, but care to expand on that statement?

Firstly hes being an abusive dolt.

Secondly he goes on about selling the NHS which is a load of BS.

Thirdly. It really is a crap song.
The NHS couldn't go on as it was. Its deficits were huge, its overspends unjustifiable. If Labour and Unison (the latter funded this apparently) can come up with a better proposal and pipe down on its perennial, and now slightly boring, "ideological cuts" argument then we might actually get somewhere with our NHS which is the single biggest thing we should be proud of in this country.
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12
Firstly hes being an abusive dolt.

Secondly he goes on about selling the NHS which is a load of BS.

Thirdly. It really is a crap song.

Partial privatization is partially selling bits of the NHS...

One thing you never seem to get is that in cases like this, people don't care about the facts, what sounds bad is freaking them out and the NHS is the largest public institution that the people of this country has faith in, and now Lanlsey is screwing about with it. Of course people are going to get angry. Alot of experts are saying it's a crap idea as well.
Reply 8
Original post by TheMeister
The NHS couldn't go on as it was. Its deficits were huge, its overspends unjustifiable. If Labour and Unison (the latter funded this apparently) can come up with a better proposal and pipe down on its perennial, and now slightly boring, "ideological cuts" argument then we might actually get somewhere with our NHS which is the single biggest thing we should be proud of in this country.

But they are ideological. The UK is not in the worst position of the advanced economies, and people's fear of debt has given the Conservatives an opportunity to draw back the state. Historically, we have been in a much worse position in regard to debt for much of the 20th century, so there is no need to damage public services to get us out of it.
Reply 9
This was posted in the Medicine forum a while ago. Awesome rap.

And tbh, if the GPs (and BMA) are saying no to the reforms (which would give them really high salaries, or a big pay rise), you know **** ain't right.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by hamijack
Partial privatization is partially selling bits of the NHS...

One thing you never seem to get is that in cases like this, people don't care about the facts, what sounds bad is freaking them out and the NHS is the largest public institution that the people of this country has faith in, and now Lanlsey is screwing about with it. Of course people are going to get angry. Alot of experts are saying it's a crap idea as well.

The NHS is a massive institution in dire need of reform tbh.
Guy's a hero! 100% fair play to him :smile:

EDIT

to the guy who made the rap ofc...lansley's a buffoon
(edited 13 years ago)
Great rap: accurate and concise. I love the quote from Nye Bevan at the end:

'The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with the faith to fight for it'.

The privatisation of the NHS should be opposed.
Patient quality of care comes first, value for money does not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aj12

Agree, but disagree that the reforms proposed are they way forward
Reply 14
Original post by Aj12

Maybe, but not these re-forms which no-one wanted, no-one asked for and weren't in the Tory Manifesto (bit like AV).
Original post by hamijack
Maybe, but not these re-forms which no-one wanted, no-one asked for and weren't in the Tory Manifesto (bit like AV).

The Tories don't want AV, it was a concession they had to make for the Coalition agreement with the Lib Dems to be signed.

But I agree, the Tories promised no top-down reform of the NHS, then just a few months in, they start the process of top-down reform (in a very detailed and planned out manner).

I can't really comment on betrayal of voters though tbh...
Reply 16
Awful accent.

I like the thought behind it, though.
Original post by ArtGoblin
But they are ideological. The UK is not in the worst position of the advanced economies, and people's fear of debt has given the Conservatives an opportunity to draw back the state. Historically, we have been in a much worse position in regard to debt for much of the 20th century, so there is no need to damage public services to get us out of it.

I don't buy that last point you make; inflation is rising and consumer confidence (amongst many others) is plummeting. With shaky markets and continuing low hopes for economic growth, incentives to invest are low... and besides, do you really think with an ever-expanding debt were we to follow the vague Labour model, that the interest payments to service that debt would be sustainable in the long-term given the instability of the European financial markets?

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/uk-economy/uk-national-debt/
Reply 18
Original post by TheMeister

I suspect that your position has more to do with ignorance of what is being proposed - considering the Lansley proposals will not save any money. I disagree about the NHS overspending as well; British healthcare spending is very modest compared to comparative countries - being less per person than Australia, France and Germany, and the USA (whose system costs the state double what it costs the British state) http://www.badmouth.net/content/uploads/2009/08/per-capia-expenditure.gif. My only objection is the way grey-haired is used as an insult, other than that I think it's fantastic.

Original post by Aj12

Its biggest dire need is for over-promoted politicians to stop playing politics with it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Organ
I suspect that your position has more to do with ignorance of what is being proposed - considering the Lansley proposals will not save any money. I disagree about the NHS overspending as well; British healthcare spending is very modest compared to comparative countries - being less per person than Australia, France and Germany, and the USA (whose system costs the state double what it costs the British state) http://www.badmouth.net/content/uploads/2009/08/per-capia-expenditure.gif. My only objection is the way grey-haired is used as an insult, other than that I think it's fantastic.

See the link I provided above, government debt rose by around 10% in the 5 years before 2007 due to Labour's NHS policies. There are also endless anecdotes I could give about hospitals frivolously spending their budgets so that each year the same amount is renewed (inflation-adjusted).

I support the NHS, I am a proponent of its values and its universal free-at-point-of-service model but the revolting PFI policy under Blair and Brown's supervision undermined its entire financial future. The new Manchester Children's Hospital cost around £600m to build (I think), but they'll be paying back £3.5bn after everything's said and done. That is not an efficient use of money and not exactly faithful to the promises made by those previous politicians who propose above-inflation increases in NHS spending, no?

Its biggest dire need is for over-promoted politicians to stop playing politics with it.

I agree hence why I dislike how this was kept under wraps and out of the coalition agreement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending