The Student Room Group

Heading for a breakdown.

Hi there,
I'm new at posting. I'll try and keep this as short as I can but apologies if it is too long, there is a lot to explain.

I'm a full-time carer for my husband who is deaf/blind he has Retina Pigmentosa and Ushers syndrome type two. I have a very rare immune condition Common variable immunodeficiency, Chronic Fatigue/M.E, Dyspraxia and also severe dyscalculia.

I enrolled at my local college because my other half had decided that to time to encourage me to have some freedom after being cooped up in the house for a while, plus now that he has a guide dog, it gives him a lot more independence. I applied but the original course that I wanted to go on, which was sociology, sadly got removed because of a lack of interest.

The college had told me about another course, which was Access to Higher Education - Health Professionals, I decided to go onto that one because although it wasn't the one that I wanted to do, it sounded interesting.

It was going ok until I had to have two weeks off because of COVID and bad reactions to the anti-virals anyway, then things started to spiral.

A few months on, I am now way behind. I have 15 assignments to do, including resubmissions and I am genuinely struggling. They are pretty much coming at us one after the other non-stop and I am not meeting the deadlines. I asked for some support only to get told that there was none and a few weeks later, one of the students dropped out because of that reason (he had severe dyslexia).

I am working nonstop stop every day until late at night to try and catch up but I am not getting there. On top of all this, my husband is seeing how hard I am working and he has been telling me to quit. He has also got his family and friends to do an intervention to stop me from continuing the course.

Roll onto now and he is now demanding me to leave the course. He is on at me every day and he does not stop. I spoke to my tutors and they have told me to stay on the course because I'm a bright student and they don't want to lose me.

I am mentally and physically exhausted, I wake up and my eyes are red raw. I really don't know what to do for the best. Also, My husband now has lost pretty much all of his hearing suddenly on one side and he may need serious life-changing surgery. I feel like I am being pulled from side to side like a ragdoll and I feel like I am heading for one hell of a mental breakdown. My head is just too stuffed. My body is screaming at me.

I enjoy the psychology side but I hate the rest of it (Biology, Health studies, Academic Studies and study skills)

What do I do, do I stay on the course, or leave?

Thanks folks x
Reply 1
Original post by Rosealinea
Hi there,
I'm new at posting. I'll try and keep this as short as I can but apologies if it is too long, there is a lot to explain.

I'm a full-time carer for my husband who is deaf/blind he has Retina Pigmentosa and Ushers syndrome type two. I have a very rare immune condition Common variable immunodeficiency, Chronic Fatigue/M.E, Dyspraxia and also severe dyscalculia.

I enrolled at my local college because my other half had decided that to time to encourage me to have some freedom after being cooped up in the house for a while, plus now that he has a guide dog, it gives him a lot more independence. I applied but the original course that I wanted to go on, which was sociology, sadly got removed because of a lack of interest.

The college had told me about another course, which was Access to Higher Education - Health Professionals, I decided to go onto that one because although it wasn't the one that I wanted to do, it sounded interesting.

It was going ok until I had to have two weeks off because of COVID and bad reactions to the anti-virals anyway, then things started to spiral.

A few months on, I am now way behind. I have 15 assignments to do, including resubmissions and I am genuinely struggling. They are pretty much coming at us one after the other non-stop and I am not meeting the deadlines. I asked for some support only to get told that there was none and a few weeks later, one of the students dropped out because of that reason (he had severe dyslexia).

I am working nonstop stop every day until late at night to try and catch up but I am not getting there. On top of all this, my husband is seeing how hard I am working and he has been telling me to quit. He has also got his family and friends to do an intervention to stop me from continuing the course.

Roll onto now and he is now demanding me to leave the course. He is on at me every day and he does not stop. I spoke to my tutors and they have told me to stay on the course because I'm a bright student and they don't want to lose me.

I am mentally and physically exhausted, I wake up and my eyes are red raw. I really don't know what to do for the best. Also, My husband now has lost pretty much all of his hearing suddenly on one side and he may need serious life-changing surgery. I feel like I am being pulled from side to side like a ragdoll and I feel like I am heading for one hell of a mental breakdown. My head is just too stuffed. My body is screaming at me.

I enjoy the psychology side but I hate the rest of it (Biology, Health studies, Academic Studies and study skills)

What do I do, do I stay on the course, or leave?

Thanks folks x

Ooh my goodness. So much for one person. I'm really sorry for that.
I know how to help.
Reach me out

Quick Reply

Latest