The Student Room Group

I feel weak and ill, scared to tell

My supervisor told me to have one week off due to illness and poor health which he told me to get a sick note. I had to go to the hospital a week ago.

I told him I can come to work tomorrow and he said "am I sure". I think deep down he knows I may need more time off. He didn't even put me on the rota/staffing.

I still feel weak with a hoarse voice. If I was to tell him I think he could tell

I don't know if organisations could be breaking workplace rules if they allow an ill employee to work.
Reply 1
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/caring-carers-and-long-term-conditions/can-i-go-back-to-work-before-the-end-date-on-my-fit-note/ There aren't any laws around someone working through their illness while they're signed off.
Reply 2
Thanks, my sick note is over.

I just feel weak.
Reply 3
This is non medical advice just an opinion - if you still feel so bad go back to your health provider. Often it takes a long time to get over a bad viral infection, sometimes easily 6 to 8 weeks or more. It takes a super human effort to go back to work after being off. If you are not infectious but just suffering from a post viral fatigue it takes a lot of determination to get up out of bed and be there. But do it where ever you can. That said some companies get a bit stuffy if you try and go back to work when you have been signed off sick (for insurance purposes) But usually, having a hoarse voice sounds far worse than it actually is. At the start of some viral infections you could lie down and never want to move again, but your voice doesn't sound any different from any other day. That is the worst of starting to feel poorly. It is when you start to feel better you usually sound worse.

If you can, turn up and be there for a head count for a few days. You know you are existing under par. Use common sense. Any working above that is a bonus and then you can do your best and get going again. Max out on sleep, concentrate where you need to and don't over exercise until you are feeling much better.
Reply 4
Thank you.

Tomorrow is my
First day back, however I still feel weak and some infections actually take more than a week to heal.

Also I could give others infections.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you.

Tomorrow is my
First day back, however I still feel weak and some infections actually take more than a week to heal.

Also I could give others infections.

If you are not well then stay home and rest. If it is something infectious others might get it both at work and whilst travelling. Good luck and get better soon.
Reply 6
Thank you all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending